Other Florida Ports

schlot

From looking through past cruises I think I know the answer, but I'll ask it anyway. Does Princess cruise out of Cape Caniveral, Tampa or Miami?

Edited by schlot

Ft. Lauderdale and Miami

To further clarify, the Ocean Princess is the only Princess ship that uses Miami for embarkation, with only one RT Miami Caribbean cruise scheduled in the next two years for Dec. 2015, and one sail around South America in Jan. 2016. All other Princess ships depart Fla. from Ft. Lauderdale.

I would love for Princess to sail out of Port Canaveral.

Tampa would work great for us. I imagine the Regal/Royal are too tall to cross under the Sunshine bridge, but what about the others?

Port Canaveral works as a port only if you live on the East Coast, Mid-West or can drive to the port. This severely limits the cruise line's ability to fill the ship at top dollar. Anyone flying from LAX, for instance, would have to pay more for 2-3 flights just to get to Orlando (there are no direct flights) and then have to get from Orlando to Port Canaveral. In other words, it would cost a lot more per-person just to get to or from a cruise. This depresses sales and Princess would have to put these cruises on sale. Good for passengers, bad for the bottom line. Always follow the money. Port Canaveral is not going to happen.

Strong points Pam. What do flights from the west coast look like to BWI or DC? I would love a mid Atlantic port for Princess. I know Carnival sails from Baltimore so the port is in use, but wish other options were available.

Port Canaveral works as a port only if you live on the East Coast, Mid-West or can drive to the port. This severely limits the cruise line's ability to fill the ship at top dollar. Anyone flying from LAX, for instance, would have to pay more for 2-3 flights just to get to Orlando (there are no direct flights) and then have to get from Orlando to Port Canaveral. In other words, it would cost a lot more per-person just to get to or from a cruise. This depresses sales and Princess would have to put these cruises on sale. Good for passengers, bad for the bottom line. Always follow the money. Port Canaveral is not going to happen.

Cost is not always greater to fly to / from Orlando (for Port Canaveral). I have a flight from Orlando to San Francisco/return via JFK that was cheaper than JFK to SFO/return. Orlando is often one of the least expensive places to fly to/from

Even if it is more inconvenient for people on the West Coast, several other cruise lines have made cruises from Port Canaveral work for them. They're sailing from there regularly and not at heavily discounted prices according to what I've seen.

We've taken direct flights from LAX to Orlando for our last two cruises out of Port Canaveral. And the cruiseline has a shuttle from the airport to the port. But a rental car to the port isn't that big a cost.

Actually Delta has three daily nonstop flights LAX/MCO.

Mike:)

Now do you really think Princess wants you to stop first at Disneyworld or Universal before getting on the ship. You know they want you to spend your money with them. :)

Kennedy Space Center is close by Port Canaveral for anyone that would want to do a post or pre cruise visit so there would be other options other than the theme parks. A nice option for people interested in the Space Center.

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/

I think NCL, RCCL, Disney and Carnival have ships that depart from there. Like Pam said, probably won't happen but would be interesting if Princess would give Port Canaveral the opportunity to see how well it would sell from that Port, IMO.

Even if it is more inconvenient for people on the West Coast, several other cruise lines have made cruises from Port Canaveral work for them. They're sailing from there regularly and not at heavily discounted prices according to what I've seen.
That's another reason why Princess wouldn't sail out of Port Canaveral: market saturation, supply and demand. Thousands more berths equals too much supply and lower pricing for all lines. One of the reasons why Princess doesn't sail the Caribbean in the summer.

Only three direct flights a day is kind of scary. Doesn't allow any flexibility or back-up plan. Even LA can close due to weather.

That's another reason why Princess wouldn't sail out of Port Canaveral: market saturation, supply and demand. Thousands more berths equals too much supply and lower pricing for all lines. One of the reasons why Princess doesn't sail the Caribbean in the summer.

Only three direct flights a day is kind of scary. Doesn't allow any flexibility or back-up plan. Even LA can close due to weather.

Don't you think the winter market is saturated with so many ships sailing out of Fort Lauderdale and Miami?

I just checked Delta for nonstop flights for LA to Fort Lauderdale in Nov. I found none. Did any one else find that there are no direct flight from this air carrier? Of course there are other air lines that might.

Edited by geocruiser

Tampa will lose their ability to compete in the market unless they take the port to the west side of the Sunshine Skyway bridge. Larger ships are the wave of the future & we will sadly not be a major player without a change.

As far a cruising the Caribbean in the summer, most ships pull out of here because it is hurricane season!

We've taken direct flights from LAX to Orlando for our last two cruises out of Port Canaveral. And the cruiseline has a shuttle from the airport to the port. But a rental car to the port isn't that big a cost.

Yes, I was on a nonstop flight LAX to MCO in February.

A quick search for flights on a random December date shows plenty of options (time, airline, etc.); not all are nonstop, of course, but one stop for a transcontinental flight isn't bad.

That's just Delta.

Many airlines have direct flights to MCO from LAX and they are quite reasonable.

Mike:)