interesting rumor - X going to all select?

suec12

Is it possible that on your one Celebrity cruise you were looking at the dining room between seatings? If you happen to come into the Select Dining area between 7:30 and 8:30 the dining room could very well appear to be empty because in Traditional Dining everyone is seated at the same time. People in Traditional Dining are also just as likely to try a specialty restaurant or buffet as anyone else. They are not forbidden to leave the dining room for an evening here and there.

We also dine in Select Dining and have done so since it was instituted. We are also very frequent Celebrity cruisers. There has only been one time that I recall having to wait and that was when Select Dining was new. I know each cruise is somewhat flexible as far as how many tables are devoted to Traditional or Select and I've seen them expand the area for Select on a number of occasions. It seems to me that works much better than doing away with Traditional Dining completely.

Ma Bell I think you are correct re the turn over time in the MDR. On the TA our early seating was adjusted to 5:30 instead of the normal 6pm and many people did not notice the change in the Celebrity Today so there were people drifting in during during that half hour. As a result we noticed there were people that started leaving at 7 each evening which meant that their table was vacant for 1 hr until the late seating arrived. So I think the possibility of seeing a lot of "empty" tables is very possible between 7-8 each evening.

Last cruise we were on Early sitting and there were many empty tables. Many passengers who had chosen 'Select' were taken into the MDR and placed on one of these spare tables.

Since part of the MDR has been carved out for Luminae, passengers have had to wait for tables in Select dining. It seems sensible to make use of the spare tables in MDR.

Maybe preparations have already been made for the transfer to all 'Select' as our next cruise in 5 weeks has Early and Late wait listed. As to stopping people eating when required ( ADA medical requirement- whatever that is) there is more choice, you just go when you need to.

I found Early and late too restricting, Early is too early and Late is far too late for me.

I don't believe Luminae has been taken from the upper level of the MDR so does not affect select dining numbers. Well not eclipse any way but is situated on left hand section lower level so restricting numbers on early late seating.

We have been select on the last 4 cruises and not had to wait more than a few minutes dining at 7.45pm including a cruise where luminae was present.

I don't understand why this has become so contentious.

if you like Select then choose that.

If you like Traditional choose that.

Why do MY preferences have to rule YOUR life?

Totally agree. Nothing needs to be changed at all. Both of these options are currently available, and both of them are working just fine.

On our last cruise Carribbean, booked 6 months in advance, late seating traditional dining was full. We were put on the waiting list, about 2 weeks before the cruise we got late seating. The first night there were 2 couples at a table for 5 couples. Thinking that first nights are a problem, the next 2 nights the same results. Most tables were not full or were empty. Remember, this was full up until 2 weeks before. We asked to be moved to a smaller table with the other couple, no problem. Many people book the MDR and go elsewhere when on board. I like traditional dining. I like to eat with the same couples every night, at the same time, new couples for breakfast and lunch when the MDR is open. I would not cruise on a line that did not have traditional dining. We understand why some people like Select, we just do not.

Off Topic!

Thanks Don. If the folks here will bear with me being off topic, I want to share about the picture of the waffles.

A wonderful man (I met here on CC) and his sister that lives in Geiranger, Norway were kind enough to pick us up and show us around their countryside. They also took us to their home place that had been in the family since the 1700"s. Well, to make a long story short, I guess they knew I loved waffles. That is where the picture came from.

One of the wonderful things about Cruise Critic is being able to converse and/or meet some wonderful folks. :)

Great story and FOR sure a great memory!

this may be another indication that celebrity is looking at targeting a younger demographic. My partner and I are in our early 30s and neither of us like traditional dining. Most other people I know in our age group think the same way.

I'd wager the average age of the traditional diner is significantly higher than the select.

this may be another indication that celebrity is looking at targeting a younger demographic. My partner and I are in our early 30s and neither of us like traditional dining. Most other people I know in our age group think the same way.

I'd wager the average age of the traditional diner is significantly higher than the select.

I think that it is still personal.

We have children in their 20s, 30s and early 40s (spaced them out a LOT ;) ) that we took on cruises as children and teenagers.

They LOVED the attention they got from the waiters and still prefer traditional for the better level of service they get from having the same waiter every night.

We're taking them, their spouses and their children on a cruise this year and they've already talked about how excited they are for their children to experience dinner in the dining room.

Edited by chamima

I'm not in my 30s anymore :( but we feel the same way. We won't cruise if it meant we had to do Traditional Dining. It will be very interesting to see if this rumour is correct. But there's something about "Traditional" dining and "Formal" night that just don't jive with "Modern" Luxury.

I'm not in my 30s anymore :( but we feel the same way. We won't cruise if it meant we had to do Traditional Dining. It will be very interesting to see if this rumour is correct. But there's something about "Traditional" dining and "Formal" night that just don't jive with "Modern" Luxury.

I think formal night/traditional dining/modern luxury go hand in hand. There's always the "eat any time" buffet. ;)

I think formal night/traditional dining/modern luxury go hand in hand. There's always the "eat any time" buffet. ;)

:rolleyes:

Traditional dining = eat either too early or too late, and dine with who we tell you to dine with.

Select = eat when you want with whomever you want. You can even choose to eat at the same time with the same people every night.

One of these options seems far more guest-friendly.

And what you just posted is what's causing most of the backup at Select meal time. Most folks want to eat in the middle of the two traditional times and with Select they can make reservations to do just that.

Then they have to wait since most of the other Select folks want to eat at that time also.

Traditional dining = eat either too early or too late, and dine with who we tell you to dine with.

Select = eat when you want with whomever you want. You can even choose to eat at the same time with the same people every night.

Agree. In fact, most of the luxury and near luxury lines already have open seating. Depending upon how busy our day was (touring, laying by the pool, etc) sometimes we want to eat earlier and sometimes we want a later dinner. We now much prefer open dining.

Agree. In fact, most of the luxury and near luxury lines already have open seating. Depending upon how busy our day was (touring, laying by the pool, etc) sometimes we want to eat earlier and sometimes we want a later dinner. We now much prefer open dining.

And, as I said before, this works because those lines have under 800 or so passengers.

With the 3000 passengers and only one dining room on most of the Celebrity ships it will be a mess.

Edited by chamima

And what you just posted is what's causing most of the backup at Select meal time. Most folks want to eat in the middle of the two traditional times and with Select they can make reservations to do just that.

Then they have to wait since most of the other Select folks want to eat at that time also.

Actually, I think a bigger issue would be that you have people who came in at 6 to eat, left at 7:15, and now the table is going to sit there empty until 8:30; at which time the folks assigned to it may or may not show up.

As for making reservations, if X is handing out more reservations than can be accommodated at a given time, that's on them. I'm sure if the entire room was all reservations, an algorithm of how many reservations can be accepted at any given time could quickly be developed.

And, as I said before, this works because those lines have under 800 or so passengers.

With the 3000 passengers and only one dining room on most of the Celebrity ships it will be a mess.

Having sailed many times on Celebrity, both with and without Select as well as a good number of times on the lines that people tout as "luxury", the size of the ship is not a factor. Smaller ships have less passengers, yes, but they also have much smaller dining rooms. If it works fine there (and it does) there is no reason that it wouldn't work on Celebrity. Works fine on NCL and yes, they have more than one dining room but Celebrity has more than one floor so it amounts to the same.

X restrict the number of reservations during the most popular dining times to attempt to avoid issues. A bigger dining room that only has select dining which then frees up the wasted seats in traditional dining (those eating elsewhere, those finishing a meal quickly) could work well. However I think there should be no reservations allowed to maximise flexibility. The more who reserve, the less availability for everyone else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Although we've long been traditional seating fans, we are now going with Select. I loved second seating, but I find that I simply can no longer eat that late. And, trying to get ready for dinner (especially formal night) in time for first seating, cut into our afternoon activities, and made us feel rushed. We were pleasantly surprised to find that, with Select Dining, we could request the same waitstaff each evening -- works out fine, for us. :cool:

As for making reservations, if X is handing out more reservations than can be accommodated at a given time, that's on them. I'm sure if the entire room was all reservations, an algorithm of how many reservations can be accepted at any given time could quickly be developed.

I made reservations for my 14 night cruise yesterday.

We decided to go for 7.15pm, but there were a couple of days when this option wasn't available, I had to choose either 7pm or 7.30 pm. I was surprised that 32 days out some times had already been taken.

The reason that I decided to pre book, is because I have to pre order my meals as I am Lactose intolerant, so I decided that it's best if I can have the same Maitre'd every night.

Edited by upwarduk

From reading the posts most people that opt for Select love it and there have been only a very few posts regarding wait times. They make their reservations at their preferred time, can request the table or wait staff etc. So you are happily sitting upstairs enjoying your meal and look over the railing and see a few empty tables and you don't think that should be allowed?

So why is everyone coveting the tables in Traditional? We don't have to eat in the MDR anymore than you do. Seems to me that everyone is assuming TD eat in SR's or the buffet a lot but I guess no one in Select does apparently.

If the MDR went all Select do you think the, I don't know 600+ TD people would eat at the same time as they do now ie 6 & 8? I rather doubt it! Now you will have 2-3000 pax all trying to eat between 7-9:eek: Can you imagine the lineups!! The confusion etc!! Even in Blu there are line ups at the popular times. The reservation system would be overloaded, the service would surely suffer and the noise level would be terrible with all those people coming and going, tables being turned ugh This would definitely not improve the "Select Experience"

From reading the posts most people that opt for Select love it and there have been only a very few posts regarding wait times. They make their reservations at their preferred time, can request the table or wait staff etc. So you are happily sitting upstairs enjoying your meal and look over the railing and see a few empty tables and you don't think that should be allowed?

So why is everyone coveting the tables in Traditional? We don't have to eat in the MDR anymore than you do. Seems to me that everyone is assuming TD eat in SR's or the buffet a lot but I guess no one in Select does apparently.

If the MDR went all Select do you think the, I don't know 600+ TD people would eat at the same time as they do now ie 6 & 8? I rather doubt it! Now you will have 2-3000 pax all trying to eat between 7-9:eek: Can you imagine the lineups!! The confusion etc!! Even in Blu there are line ups at the popular times. The reservation system would be overloaded, the service would surely suffer and the noise level would be terrible with all those people coming and going, tables being turned ugh This would definitely not improve the "Select Experience"

A lot of those posts reporting no wait times are like "well, we were on X Whatever last December and had no problem.

The bulk of this issues are in the last 90 days or so, after the launch of Luminae, which has scrambled both the dining room and the galley.

The horror situation you describe? Why does this not happen on lines that have fully open seating? Your scenario just doesn't play except in a purported meltdown that no one could reliably foresee. And frankly, if Celebrity's reservation system can't handle a certain percentage of diners requesting dining times, I shudder to think of their navigation systems.

And why, if those traditional dining times are so sacrosanct, why would these diners suddenly refuse to eat at those "desirable" times?

Heavens, the fear and loathing that this rumor has unearthed!

Edited by ECCruise

Not completely true. My wife and I are 29, been cruising since we were 20, always had traditional. Some people just like that structure.

More like:

Traditional dining = Works for some people

Select = Works for some people

Both of these options are guest friendly.

WHY IS THIS THREAD STILL OPEN?

Heavens, the fear and loathing that this rumor has unearthed!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Where EVERYBODY knows what's best for everybody! :D :p :rolleyes:

You should check out the DRESS CODE sticky! :eek: :o ;)