Sunscreen advice

Some thoughts...

• consider waterproof products if you sweat a lot....
  • need to reapply after a few hours
  • a common mistake is applying too little. It needs to be thick to get the SPF rating.

I hate sunblock so prefer long sleeve shirts and a wide brim hat.

Edited by xlxo

One more tip - definitely apply 30 mins prior as mentioned but put it on when naked - all over the body - BEFORE you have your bathing suit on - that way you are sure not to miss any spots - e.g. around the straps, or not 'low' or 'high' enough....

Once 'dry' then put on your suit!

I also agree with wearing a rashguard and sunhat as required.....

P.S. I do pack an aloe product with novocaine in it should there be any sign of a burn - and pack some aspirin - i was advised by a dr that this works way BETTER for the pain of a sunburn that ibuprofen or acetaminophen!

Hey all, i appriciate all your advice, and will apply 30 mins before and every 1 1/2 to 2 hrs after and pray for the best. As far as a base tan, I didnt mean go in for a tan.. but my arms and lower legs are already a darker shade from just being out in the garden and stuff. So i was thinking sitting out in my bathing suit so all my exposed parts would have a starter colour. Im far too cheap to pay for what the sun and doing work outside gives away for free, lol:D

Please be careful:

http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/tanning/is-a-tan-ever-a-good-thing

It has been proven in marketing research that over time we forget the source of the various information that we collect and remember. Whereas we might have had some sort of filter over information when we first hear it...something that would influence how credible we believe the information to be based on the source...as time passes, we lose that source/information connection...and we only remember the information.

Thus, the thought that a base tan offers any protection from sun damage continues to be in the thoughts of many.

The truth is that a tan is the body's SIGNAL to indicate DNA stress. It is a self preservation response that is visible to let us know that damage that is invisible is occurring. It is NOT a protective response...there is very limited sun protection from tanned skin. It is simply a SIGNAL that the body has to indicate that the body in question needs to do something differently...as in...get in the shade...cover up...get out of the sun.

I've participated in discussions debating the relative merits of the look of tan skin. For whatever reason...it seems that white women want to be tan...and darker skinned women want to be pale.

The grass is always greener:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-18268914

http://digiday.com/brands/four-ads-wont-see-indian-television-ever/

Personally...I feel like my legs could glow in the dark as they emerge from their winter hibernation under pants and longs. You can't help but get some color with the more exposed skin of summer...but this idea that a natural skin color is unattractive is an unfortunate belief.

Aso the rather obvious tactic of staying out of the sun as much as possible of course. Sit in the shade instead of lying in the sun by the pool. But that goes without saying.

Brand doesn't matter.

Not so:

May 14, 2015 -- Nearly a third of sunscreens tested by Consumer Reports fell short of the promised SPF protection, missing the mark by anywhere from 16% to 70%, according to the organization’s annual sunscreen report.

http://www.webmd.com/melanoma-skin-cancer/news/20150513/sunscreen-test-consumer-reports

The good news is some of the cheap ones are good, including two other people have mentioned here, Equate Ultra Protection 50 SPF (Walmart) and No-Ad Sport SPF 50.

Still, you have a point in that if you have a 50 SPF sunscreen even if it's 40% off it's claimed protection, making it really only 30 SPF, that's still pretty good.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

I have found since I started using the spray on sunscreens that I have not had a single sunburn. I spray completely and let it dry before I dress for whatever activity we are doing. I re-spray some key areas throughout my time outside. Seems to work quite well for me!

Sherri:)

The main caution I would say with relying on spray on sunscreen alone...

On the catamaran excursions that we did, there was a stated preference for the spray sunscreens to not be used. If you HAD to use them, they wanted you to stand in one very specific place, and that place only, to use it.

It related to the spray's tendency to go all over and their need to NOT have it go all over their catamaran.

Usually, proper usage of product will give you the results that you want. The key is proper usage...and with sprays...usage is a bit like smoking...there is an effect on everyone and everything within a certain radius.

Regarding the rash guard: i just got back from Destin and plenty of women were wearing them, so definitely in style.

My friend's husband is an oncologist, so he wears us out about the sun (and he has 5 fair skinned daughters!!)

Edited by spleenstomper

As a cancer survivor, I beg everyone, please use sunblock (with a high SPF number, not a low number). Wear a hat, and drink lots of water.

The US no longer allows the words sunblock or waterproof. Only sunscreen and water resistant.

I will admit this - before my last cruise, I base tanned. I know, I know, very bad! I am an RN and I should know better! During the cruise, hubby and I applied store brand SPF 30 sunscreen lotion before going outside and reapplied 2 hours later. When in port, we reapplied with spray sunscreen to our bodies and lotion to the face (personal preference). Both of us are pasty pale and neither of us burned. I had one little spot that turned pinkish, but no burning.

On the catamaran excursions that we did, there was a stated preference for the spray sunscreens to not be used. If you HAD to use them, they wanted you to stand in one very specific place, and that place only, to use it.

It related to the spray's tendency to go all over and their need to NOT have it go all over their catamaran.

Usually, proper usage of product will give you the results that you want. The key is proper usage...and with sprays...usage is a bit like smoking...there is an effect on everyone and everything within a certain radius.

Yep, that stuff is a sticky mess. Actually all liquid sunscreen is but the spray type oversprays if you try to spray it directly on.

That's why I spray it in my hand first and then rub it on, just like a lotion. I prefer the texture of the clear type over the lotion type, but I can only find it in spray bottles.

Of course, I've found you do need to be careful where you spray sunscreen, but I've also found with practice, it is very easy to direct the spray without suffocating anyone around you or getting it all over the place.:D

DH and I use Neutrogena spray. DH had melanoma 10 years ago and I burn easily. We both spray it on pretty evenly and heavily and never burn. I usually buy at least 50 spf. We also put it on before we leave the ship (on our balcony) so it gets a chance to dry and doesn't blow around. I also use tinted moisturizers or BB creams with SPF of at least 15 (usually 30) on my face. I've had too many experiences of sunscreen getting in my eyes. My sister is currently at the Outer Banks and posted a pic with her showing that she'd gotten some sun. Someone told her to use sunscreen and she said, it wasn't a burn, it was a tan, so no issue. Seriously? A tan is SUN damage and anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. There is no such thing as a "base" tan. I'm usually pretty pale, especially my legs.

Edited by BND

Like many of you, I also don't have a great love of spray-on sunscreen. It's the same price as a bottle of the "real stuff", but the bottle seems to be empty immediately.

However, I usually buy one can per vacation. Why? Because I like to spend more time at the pool than my family ... and when I'm in the sun alone, I like being able to spray my own shoulders. For that one purpose, I'll keep buying a bit each season ... but I'll keep reaching for the "real stuff" when possible.

I did not notice anyone say that they rub in the spray after they apply it. It is something that you are supposed to do - otherwise, it just sits and dissipates on your skin. You have to rub it in. The spray just supposedly makes it an easier delivery device…

I was just down on the South Carolina coast at a resort. The number of people using spray was amazing. Even more amazing was the fact that, when they were applying to their back of their arms, neck, legs, etc., was that I could see that the spray was going anywhere but those area. It was getting blown away. But they thought they had it covered. And, then their kids were jumping right into the pools, washing off the sunscreen immediately because it was just sitting on top of the skin, not rubbed in….

I'm a little militant about this because I lost a dear friend to melanoma. He was a redhead and a runner. He was too "manly" for sunscreen or a hat or a shirt (back in the 70s, 80s, 90s). His death was slow and painful and was horrible to watch progress. I do NOT want anyone to ever have to witness this with a loved one or a friend!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I have found since I started using the spray on sunscreens that I have not had a single sunburn. I spray completely and let it dry before I dress for whatever activity we are doing. I re-spray some key areas throughout my time outside. Seems to work quite well for me!

I agree. I spray it on and rub it into my skin and have no sunburns. Also used it on very pale 4 year old for beach days in GT and HMC and he did not burn at all. For arms and legs I sprayed it on and rubbed it in and for face, head, neck, ears i sprayed it in my hands and applied it to his skin. I've used Neutrogena Wet Skin varieties 50-85 SPF.