Missed-Ship Man Taken Out to His Moving Ship -- What Happens Next?

While nosing around various Youtube ship vids (we're cruising next month) I happened on the below video about a guy missing a Disney ship in Cozumel. The ship pulled out and somehow he was hooked up with a small boat which got him onboard the moving ship.

You can hear the folks on another ship who were recording the vid, saying things to the effect of , "Boy he's going to be having a talk with the captain...," and "He'll be confined to his cabin with bread and water," etc., all in a humorous vein of course.

I'm wondering, do you think he had to pay some fee for that "rescue" (I dunno, $100) and what do you think actually happened when he was reunited with his ship on the open seas there?

BTW, ironically, there's a good number of funny vids of folks missing ships.

Edited by Chunder Worthy

A similar incident happened a few years ago when we were at Cozumel, a very popular place for pier runners. We had already started to pull away from the dock when two ladies came running and yelling "Stop! Stop! Wait for us!" Once the ship pulls away, it doesn't stop. In this case, the pilot boat turned around, went back to the dock, and picked up the two late-comers and brought them to the ship. I don't know what was said to them after they boarded. I'm sure they were reprimanded in some way, and I'd bet they made sure it never happened again. I always tell people, DO NOT BE LATE. Be back on board at least 1/2 hour BEFORE you're supposed to be back. In other words, if the final boarding time is 3:00 p.m., be back by 2:30. Better to give yourself extra time than to cut it close.

What got me was there must've been hundreds of folks on deck watching that spectacle. I mean they're up there anywhere enjoying the ship pulling out of port. And then when you're safely onboard, you KNOW for the rest of the cruise people will be pointing at you behind your back and half-snickering, "WHAT a moolyak!"

I'm thinking, if the ship is leaving at 7pm, I'M going to be back on board by, I dunno, Noon! haha :p (kidding of course)

While nosing around various Youtube ship vids (we're cruising next month) I happened on the below video about a guy missing a Disney ship in Cozumel. The ship pulled out and somehow he was hooked up with a small boat which got him onboard the moving ship.

You can hear the folks on another ship who were recording the vid, saying things to the effect of , "Boy he's going to be having a talk with the captain...," and "He'll be confined to his cabin with bread and water," etc., all in a humorous vein of course.

I'm wondering, do you think he had to pay some fee for that "rescue" (I dunno, $100) and what do you think actually happened when he was reunited with his ship on the open seas there?

BTW, ironically, there's a good number of funny vids of folks missing ships.

I have a hard time understanding why some people take pleasure in other people's misfortunes. Do they also laugh at people who have tripped on a curb and fallen? Or people who fell down stairs? Or someone who had their wallet stolen?

I take no joy in someone else's mistakes. We have all made some. Should we be laughed at for them as well? :confused: :rolleyes:

Edited by PTMary

If they were saying he would have a talk with the Captain, he was probably a crew member. And if they miss the ship, they are usually fired and sent home. EM

No, he was obviously ONLY a passenger. The folks making the comments were on a different ship viewing things from afar and merely speculating.

So I was just wondering (1) if he was charged ($$$) for the little boat ride out and if back on board, (2) did he simply waive a "thank you" to the folks that got him on board and wander off to his cabin otherwise oblivious to what ruckus he caused without any repurcussions...?

I kinda agree with Essiesmom. My guess is that's a crew member. Not sure anyone else would get that kind of treatment.

I dunno, right after that vid on Youtube was ANOTHER video of a couple somewhere else, also being ferried out to their ship. Unless there's some type of epidemic of wayward cruise members (who you'd think would know better), there appears to be precedence for getting folks to the boat come hook, line or sinker. I'm sure cruise lines won't admit it happens - the departure being so written in stone and all, but it appears if there are conveyances available, things happen...

No, he was obviously ONLY a passenger. The folks making the comments were on a different ship viewing things from afar and merely speculating.

So I was just wondering (1) if he was charged ($$$) for the little boat ride out and if back on board, (2) did he simply waive a "thank you" to the folks that got him on board and wander off to his cabin otherwise oblivious to what ruckus he caused without any repurcussions...?

I've read past discussions on CC of this happening. If you are left behind, it is entirely up to you to get to the ship, if even possible, by brokering a deal with whatever conveyance is available. Sometimes pilots oblige, but there is definitely a charge. I would guess that it varies by port, distance and circumstance.

Keep in mind that if the ship is already beyond the shelter of the port and/or breakwater, it may not be possible to re-board the ship when the seas are not calm. It's not an easy feat. Certainly not one I'd want to experience.

My guess would be that there would be a cost involved if a privately owned vessel, i.e. tug, would be involved in getting the tardy guest to the ship. A pilot boat, already in the vicinity, that is a good question as to whether the port authorities would request a "taxi" fare. Certainly would be fair if they did, I think.

Once on the ship, I would think that the guest's presence at a meeting would be required by the Chief Security Officer and/or the Guest Relations Manager ASAP. I doubt the Captain would be involved, but the Staff Captain might be. Crew mis-deeds are usually within the domain of the Staff Captain and he/she might also wish to have a few words with the tardy guest.

People missed the ship in Mazatlan they were brought out to the ship by the pilot boat ..they were NOT crew if the ship is not too far from shore they may get a ride

They are not going to transport just anyone to the ship they will be checking if they are passengers

The 2 women had to jump to the open door on the lower deck with their shopping bags

Four other passenger missed the ship in the same port & had to make their way to the next port of call on the bus

Trick is DO NOT MISS THE SHIP

Edited by LHT28

I have a hard time understanding why some people take pleasure in other people's misfortunes. Do they also laugh at people who have tripped on a curb and fallen? Or people who fell down stairs? Or someone who had their wallet stolen?

I take no joy in someone else's mistakes. We have all made some. Should we be laughed at for them as well? :confused: :rolleyes:

MANY of the pier runners only have themselves to blame. Announcements are made over and over again...almost to ad nauseam informing passengers what time to be back. It's also in the Fun Times. More times than not, they are drunk and that's the reason they're late. Someone falling or being robbed is not the same thing. Of course there are some who are on excursions that run late, but again, that's a chance you take when you book one outside the ship. (We never book ship excursions, but always pick ones that end hours before we have to be back just in case of a delay).

I've read past discussions on CC of this happening. If you are left behind, it is entirely up to you to get to the ship, if even possible, by brokering a deal with whatever conveyance is available. Sometimes pilots oblige, but there is definitely a charge. I would guess that it varies by port, distance and circumstance.

Keep in mind that if the ship is already beyond the shelter of the port and/or breakwater, it may not be possible to re-board the ship when the seas are not calm. It's not an easy feat. Certainly not one I'd want to experience.

Such an embarkation by a guest is rarely approved by the Captain. In the event he does choose to permit it, the first measure is how hearty is the person. If they are clearly physically fit, it might be considered as they will be climbing the Pilots ladder from the transfer boat up the side of the ship to the opening. Sometimes whomever rides the person from the dock to the ship will charge varying fees. It is certainly the responsibility of the guest to pay. Captain would choose whether or not to have a chat with this guest. One would hope that person would know how very fortunate they were. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Whether or not passengers are laughing, I would imagine that if some passengers are nonchalant and feel the ship won't possibly sail away with them (and there are some), just think of the trouble the captain and crew are going to in trying to track down missing passengers, in any additional $ it's costing the cruiseline, the opening of a cabin safes to get out passports to pass on to the port agent for passengers to use in getting to their next port (if that's possible) or else to fly home.

If passengers miscalculated the time to return to the ship or get drunk so they boggle their return that way, they are inconveniencing others.

Whether or not passengers are laughing' date=' I would imagine that if some passengers are nonchalant and feel the ship won't possibly sail away with them (and there are some), just think of the trouble the captain and crew are going to in trying to track down missing passengers, in any additional $ it's costing the cruiseline, the opening of a cabin safes to get out passports to pass on to the port agent for passengers to use in getting to their next port (if that's possible) or else to fly home.

If passengers miscalculated the time to return to the ship or get drunk so they boggle their return that way, they are inconveniencing others.[/quote']

Yes, you are absolutely correct when you say that the actions of some people will inconvenience the ship's crews and other passengers by being late. Just like if someone dropped their plate in the buffet, spilling food all over the floor in everyone's path, or accidentally plugged up their toilet and it overflowed into the hallway. It is not an ideal situation for everyone affected.

But, it is still no reason to laugh at someone's error for one's own gratification. That strikes me as having a superiority complex, as if those wretched tardy people were somehow lesser beings and they are only there for one's amusement. It similar to laughing at the kids who were "different" when in elementary school. But that is simply the result of the immaturity of young children. What is the excuse for this same behavior in adults? :confused:

Edited by PTMary

You can't outlaw drunk. You can't outlaw stupid. The combination of the 2 is awesome.

If I was the captain, I would not allow then on board. If the stupid drunks were allowed on board, they should be required to wear a shirt for the rest of the cruise that says "I was drunk & stupid and almost missed the ship". Public shaming is a good medicine.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Yes, you are absolutely correct when you say that the actions of some people will inconvenience the ship's crews and other passengers by being late. Just like if someone dropped their plate in the buffet, spilling food all over the floor in everyone's path, or accidentally plugged up their toilet and it overflowed into the hallway. It is not an ideal situation for everyone affected.

But, it is still no reason to laugh at someone's error for one's own gratification. That strikes me as having a superiority complex, as if those wretched tardy people were somehow lesser beings and they are only there for one's amusement. It similar to laughing at the kids who were "different" when in elementary school. But that is simply the result of the immaturity of young children. What is the excuse for this same behavior in adults? :confused:

Just out of curiosity...were you one of the pier walkers that was tardy?

Just out of curiosity...were you one of the pier walkers that was tardy?

Nope, have never been late to the ship. Why do you think this? Because I don't believe in making fun of those people?

The answer why I feel this way is quite simple. My older brother was born with a cleft pallet, with a very noticeable distortion to his upper lip. He was forever being made fun of, or stared at as if he was a freak, until our parents could finally afford the surgery to repair his deformity. It is amazing how cruel people can be towards others. Adults are the worst, because they should know better. Children can be forgiven for being young and unaware of proper behavior.

Having compassion for people who are dealing with an unfortunate situation is one of the major reasons I got into health care. Making fun of people is just not part of my personality.

Edited by PTMary

I kinda agree with Essiesmom. My guess is that's a crew member. Not sure anyone else would get that kind of treatment.

We have seen tardy passengers with shopping bags taken out to the ship by one of the pilot boats.

I think, though, they might have had to pay mucho dinero for this service.

Edited by NMLady