Königsdam brochure in the new Mariner magazine

Tarpeian Rock

Several points well made. I personally really enjoy the promenade deck on any ship especially as I normally book an inside. I suppose with the number of balcony cabins now built on modern cruise ships that the promenade becomes less useful and also causes a redesign for lifeboat placement along with safety reg changes. My main thought though was just give it a go first before to much moaning

We briefly saw Koningsdam at the outfitting berth in Marghera as we went by on the 11:50 train from Venice to Milan last Saturday. She looks very nice .. the HAL logo clearly visible on the "stack" enclosure. We sail on her on 15 April 2016 on Voyage #3.

Edited by NavArch64

My previous post should read, which we much enjoyed

For future use: after posting you have 20 minutes to edit ... but most people recognize typos and ignore them :)

Edited by jtl513

Great to "see" you again, Doone. I know you're a solo cruiser like me. I'm looking at booking one of the foward single cabins on Main Deck.

Roz

Scale model of KODM at Miami

HAL%20KODM%20model_zpsw4yvg3vm.jpg

John, thank you for sharing the photo of the model in Miami. I presume that the new ship, the KODM will have a wrap around deck for walking but I think it might be behind the she life boats. This would make my dermatologist most happy as it will keep me and my fair skin even more protected from the sun.

Himself

Thanks Sails, nice to be back and looking forward to booking another cruise in the future. Can't wait to hear the reviews of the new ship!!

Doone:

Nice to see you posting again. I owe you a debt of gratitude. Many years ago you introduced me to the Ft. Lauderdale Water Taxi. I have used it on most visits to Ft. Lauderdale and I appreciate it very much, so a belated "Thank You."

Himself

For me, if in fact the lifeboats block a continuous clear view of the water it will a minor negative, BUT what I really want, and seems to still be present, is a continuous walking deck open to the fresh air, which it appears will still be available. If something is really interesting off the side of the ship - I suspect a limited view will be available between lifeboats. We shall see.

For deck sitting and/or rail viewing it looks like that may be significantly impacted, but we shall see. One positive (although a limited one) might be that in other than hot climates, folks might be somewhere shielded from the cold and particularly the wind. So many times when cruising the promenade has simply been too cold because of the wind - or even impossible to walk on safely due to the very strong winds - regardless of the temperature. Guess it will depend on where you are cruising. Just my thoughts

Without doubt, I love the traditional HAL promenade deck.

Gotta go with safety first, tho.

While on the Westerdam, there was a medical emergency. We were in an OV cabin. At the time, I was simply amused by the little man taking down the lifeboat outside our window. Now, thinking about in an emergency evacuation, the approximate 45 min it took to get it into the water is worrisome. Having the boats on the promenade deck is a very wise decision that I welcome over the scenery.

I know we need to have patience in regards to the promenade, but my curiosity is getting the better of me. The picture above of the model doesn't seem to jibe with the drawing on the cover of the Kdam brochure. Also, if you look at the deck plan, it shows the lifeboats on the cabin (Beethoven) deck, above the Promenade deck, just like in the Signature and Vista deck plans. But if you look at the Celebrity Solstice class deck plan, the lifeboats are shown on the same deck (5) as the outside promenade, exactly as the photo in a previous post shows. I can't wait to get on the Konigsdam and walk the Promenade myself!

Also, if you look at the deck plan, it shows the lifeboats on the cabin (Beethoven) deck, above the Promenade deck, just like in the Signature and Vista deck plans.
That's true, but note that the lifeboat symbols are not right up against the ship as they are in the Vista/Sig plans, and none of the deck 4 cabins are marked as obstructed, even partially. On deck 3 (Promenade) there is white space all along the railing except for the bulges for the Front Office and Dutch Cafe. This all says to me that there is a walkway next to the lifeboats sitting on the promenade deck.

Also, in the cover photo on the brochure I believe I can see railing right above the word Holland, and the bottom of that railing section lines up with the bottom of that first life boat - sitting on deck 3.

Roz and Himself, thanks for the kind words, so nice to see so many of the wonderful posters who were so helpful to me still on the boards.

Roz, I was happy to see family and single cruiser cabins, being added th the new ship, long overdue in my opinion. I started booking those verandah cabins paying the high price, maybe one day there will be single verandah cabins!!

Himself, I am so glad you have been enjoying the Water Taxi in Fl Lauderdale, I still enjoy it when in the area. I am happy I could help you and your very welcome.

Looking forward to learning more from everyone.

The Koningsdam has made me excited about cruising again. I sailed the Niew Amsterdam a year and a half ago, not that we had a bad cruise, but this was not one of the better ones.

First I noticed all the cutbacks, some were positive some not. The one thing I totally missed was the old style sail away with games where you win prizes, the crew out on the deck getting everyone excited about the next 7, 10 or how ever long your cruse was. Also during the week long cruise I missed pool games, ship building, horse racing, these things were some of the things that made me excited about sea days. My hope is that this was just a ship thing and not a HAL standard.

Also in the dinning room we had horrible vibration issues, no where else in the ship that I noticed just the dining room. I sailed with 4 new cruisers and 2 seasoned cruisers, the new cruisers didn't notice the vibration or the missing things, but is seasoned cruisers sure did.....

So in looking at this new class of ship from HAL, makes me excited about cruising again, hoping the crew involvement games return......

Does anyone else miss these or miss anything else from the old days of cruising? I am just curious.......

Without doubt, I love the traditional HAL promenade deck.

Gotta go with safety first, tho.

While on the Westerdam, there was a medical emergency. We were in an OV cabin. At the time, I was simply amused by the little man taking down the lifeboat outside our window. Now, thinking about in an emergency evacuation, the approximate 45 min it took to get it into the water is worrisome. Having the boats on the promenade deck is a very wise decision that I welcome over the scenery.

This is a bit disconcerting as I think I read somewhere once that the US Coast Guard requires a vessel be able to be completely evacuated in 45 minutes. I could be dreaming that, so don't flame me. Of course, that probably is with 100% favorable conditions and circumstances.

This is a bit disconcerting as I think I read somewhere once that the US Coast Guard requires a vessel be able to be completely evacuated in 45 minutes. I could be dreaming that, so don't flame me. Of course, that probably is with 100% favorable conditions and circumstances.

The International Maritime Organisation (IMO) under SOLAS Chapter III Regulation 21.1.4 requires that all survival craft shall be capable of being launched with their full complement of persons within a period of 30 minutes from the time the abandon ship signal is given. However, this regulation stipulates that the 30 minute timeframe only starts when all the passengers have been mustered with lifejackets donned.

I doubt that the launching of a single lifeboat would take 45 minutes in an emergency, and I doubt that a single member of the crew would have been assigned to complete the task if there had been a medical emergency.

Edited by Fouremco

I don't think I even got the previous Mariner Magazine.:(

Have not received mine yet either so I sent off an email yesterday to HA. I know at some point I will be able to read it online but I am interested in the Konigsdam brochure. Asked if they could put one in the mail for me. No reply as yet from HA but I have had to ask for the hard copy in the past so this does not surprise me. I think one of the other posters said HA maybe staggering the distribution.

bob

That porthole looking area on lido deck just after it narrows in is bugging me. It throws off the lines. Copper, any idea what that is?

Could that be the forward elevator corridor? Not sure why that'd limit exterior windows but maybe the hallway features decorations on the outside walls?