Departure from FLL

Amolin

Trying to book return air for our Caribbean cruise in November. My options for air are 11 or 2. In the past we have used the luggage direct, but if I remember it was only for flights after 11:30? Usually we are able to get a flight around noon, but the times this year seem to have changed. Will 11 be a problem? Should we just take our luggage with us when we disembark? Never had this timing before - just want to know what to expect.

Thanks all!

Odds are high that you can easily make an 11:00, but sometimes things do go wrong. Look at cruisetimetables.com to see how many other ships will be in port that day. If there are many (say 5 or more) that increases the chances of something getting fouled up. Consider the expenses of not being able to switch to a later flight before you decide. :)

Agree about taking the 2 pm flight as why have to worry about anything or hurry after your cruise. You can have a leisurely breakfast and take your time getting off the ship. If you get to the airport you can always check about the earlier flight or just enjoy a cup of coffee while you wait for your flight at 2.

Luggage Direct is for flights after 11:30.

As covered regularly on the Florida Departures board, you can make a 11:00 flight, just walk off with your bags and catch a cab.

We have done this many times but you have to walk off with your luggage. However, be sure and check how many ships are in that day. If there are 6 or 7, there may be a problem so have an alternative. US Immigration is notoriously slow in Ft.Lauderdale but have found, the earlier you go through it the faster it is.

Not that I am recommending it but I can tell you that we had a 7am arrival in FLL on 12/26/14, took our luggage off ourselves and easily made a 10:05am to EWR. Zuiderdam was the only ship arriving that morning. The stars must have been aligned as we even had time to kill in the United lounge directly across from the gate.:)

Thanks for all of the input. I guess the later flight is better, just always like to get going asap.

Which would be the most inconvenient, costly and annoying to you?

1) To stress about rushing to the airport and clearing security in time

or

2) Missing the flight, not being able to get seats on next flight, having to get a hotel room and possibly ticket change fees, meals etc?

Which would be the most inconvenient, costly and annoying to you?

1) To stress about rushing to the airport and clearing security in time

or

2) Missing the flight, not being able to get seats on next flight, having to get a hotel room and possibly ticket change fees, meals etc?

Agree - while I would like to get home earlier, the stress from having to worry about getting off the ship/delays/etc. is not worth it to me. Take the later flight and find a place to relax at the airport or ??

Book the 2:00pm!!

Trust me we have had the experience of long delays on debarkation and missed early flight, and not able to get a later, and spending the nite!

No more!

We either get there the day before and stay over one nite after cruise!

It might not work for you, but for us It works!

Denise:)

Not that this is likely, but I once disembarked in Ft Lauderdale when the immigration computers went down. Those who disembarked very early were OK, but then things stopped and no more passengers were called until after 11 am. Just saying things can happen.

... if you believe in Murphy's Law, book the 2 pm flight and have a worry-free cruise ... smooth sailing ...

Agree - we once had a very close connection (booked by HAL by the way) and we had to RUN through the airport to catch it (some folks on our bus did not make it as they could not run to the plane). When we got on the plane they closed the door behind us!

As we sat down, the attendant came by and asked if we needed anything before takeoff and I answered "skip the drink, I need the overhead oxygen instead".

Never booked a close flight after that experience.

Edited by DaveOKC

All depends on your "travel tolerance". I'd take the 11AM because even with things not going smoothly, I've walked off and been to FLL by 8AM. It's unlikely you'll miss an 11AM flight if you walk off first thing.

Might you? Yes. If missing that, flying standby, etc. would be too stressful for you, take the later flight.

All depends on your "travel tolerance". I'd take the 11AM because even with things not going smoothly, I've walked off and been to FLL by 8AM. It's unlikely you'll miss an 11AM flight if you walk off first thing.

Might you? Yes. If missing that, flying standby, etc. would be too stressful for you, take the later flight.

I agree. If you can manage your luggage on your own and are some of the first off, it is a quick trip to the airport and the taxi line has not yet built up. Very do-able most times. But yes it is a risk (as is any departure time, really; it's just that the risk decreases the more time you allow). Under normal circumstances, the 11 am departure should be fine.

On my last cruise in January out of FLL, we werent off the ship til after 12. Customs was backed up. There was only two or three officers there. Even those with noon flights were SOL that day.

Customs issues can happen at any day and time. Always keep that in mind.

Trying to book return air for our Caribbean cruise in November. My options for air are 11 or 2. In the past we have used the luggage direct, but if I remember it was only for flights after 11:30? Usually we are able to get a flight around noon, but the times this year seem to have changed. Will 11 be a problem? Should we just take our luggage with us when we disembark? Never had this timing before - just want to know what to expect.

Thanks all!

If you can and are willing to do "self assist" (i.e. you carry all your luggage off the ship yourself once the ship is cleared) you should have no trouble making the 11 AM flight. Otherwise, I'd go with the 2 PM flight.