A few ?s about formal night on summit

dorito6778

1. Which nights are they?

2. What are our dining options if we choose not to go formal on one night?

3. How formal does MH need to be? He refuses to bring his tux or full suit. Will a sport jacket suffice? Does he need a tie?

1. Which nights are they?

Not 1st or last night. Normally a sea night, but not always.

2. What are our dining options if we choose not to go formal on one night?

Buffet, specialty restaurant, room service, early burger.

3. How formal does MH need to be? He refuses to bring his tux or full suit. Will a sport jacket suffice? Does he need a tie?

Jacket will do, tie is suggested.

Now just watch the fight begin.

Thank you for the quick answers.

We're looking to get away on a last minute, very relaxing cruise. We've had a very stressful 6 months at home. If anyone wants to argue that wearing a suit is "important," let them. We're not looking to be shleppy but we just want to relax and a tux is not relaxing to MH.

Not to be that guy, but even the clear and concise answer is not exactly correct. It's not even a suggested option to wear a tie, though of course some people always wear a tie when they wear a jacket. However, it is a perfectly acceptable style to not wear a tie for whatever reason.

From the FAQ on Celebrity's site:

"Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks.

This applies to only the main dining room and only on formal nights. There is a sticky with the full dress code at the top of the message board, and the first post goes into more detail (and matches what is on the Celebrity website).

In my observation, very few people wear the tux anymore, so that shouldn't be a consideration unless you really want to dress up.

The number of formal nights depends on the length of cruise you take. If you have a specific sailing in mind, people might be able to give you a better idea of how many and on what nights if it's an itinerary that has regular sailings.

Not to be that guy, but even the clear and concise answer is not exactly correct. It's not even a suggested option to wear a tie, though of course some people always wear a tie when they wear a jacket. However, it is a perfectly acceptable style to not wear a tie for whatever reason.

From the FAQ on Celebrity's site:

"Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks.

This applies to only the main dining room and only on formal nights. There is a sticky with the full dress code at the top of the message board, and the first post goes into more detail (and matches what is on the Celebrity website).

In my observation, very few people wear the tux anymore, so that shouldn't be a consideration unless you really want to dress up.

The number of formal nights depends on the length of cruise you take. If you have a specific sailing in mind, people might be able to give you a better idea of how many and on what nights if it's an itinerary that has regular sailings.

n which case the sports jacket won't do either as it clearly says Diner Jacket.

Oh BTW all three TUX Suit and Diner Jacket are normally worn with a tie.

And in spite of your reliance on the FAQ a sports jacket is acceptable.

I know a sports jacket is acceptable because you could argue that it is a suit jacket. Celebrity doesn't split hairs as long as you are wearing a suit-style jacket of some sort.

The point still stands that you don't have to wear a tie. You're not required to uphold any sort of traditional style of dress or adhere to a published style guide. Styles change. I regularly attend formal events, and the attire that uses the basic tuxedo jacket as a base runs the gamut.

Thank you for the quick answers.

We're looking to get away on a last minute, very relaxing cruise. We've had a very stressful 6 months at home. If anyone wants to argue that wearing a suit is "important," let them. We're not looking to be shleppy but we just want to relax and a tux is not relaxing to MH.

dorito:

No need to quantify your reason for cruising.... just go and have fun.... and RELAX! No need to pack a tux, or a suit OR a jacket. DH can wear a nice dress shirt and tie, (easy to pack) and they MAY (or may not) hand him a jacket at the MDR entrance. He can then hang it off his chair like all the rest. You will NOT be refused entry, and you do NOT need to stress.

We were on the Summit 2 weeks ago. Formal night isn't very formal. A few men wore tuxedos. Most men wore sports jacket and slacks. Some men wore shirt and pants. Ties on the first formal night. Fewer ties and fewer jackets on the second formal night. Each time I cruise, it seems that formal night is less and less formal. Dress code doesn't seem to matter. I also saw short shorts in the MDR at dinner. The world is changing. Most people are happy with smart casual. It would be timely to change the code. Perhaps, a dress up night would be more appropriate than a formal night. Many cruise lines are completely casual.

Just off Summit. Was the most casual cruise I've ever seen. People in shorts, t-shirts and shower sandals allowed into the MDR for dinner. Formal nights are Monday and Friday. On our cruise we saw many men go into the MDR on formal night wearing slacks and sport shirts. Don't worry about clothing as it appears that the Bermuda cruises are very casual. Normandie, Blu and Luminae are no formal wear required restaurants, but no shorts are allowed. The buffet is totally casual, and really quite good in terms of food for dinner.

At the very least I wear a tie. It doesn't take up much room in ole luggage either :)

The luggage thingy is bogus. People pay $3-4K for a cruise but can't afford to bring the luggage along with them for formal night? Maybe it's just plain laziness. :rolleyes:

The world overall is getting much more casual, almost by the day! We went out to dinner last night at a classy local restaurant, and the dress code of some diners was VERY casual, outfits you would have never seen a few years ago (t shirts, rumpled shorts and jeans). Times are changing. I still say that on my recent Celebrity cruises, most men have worn at least a sport jacket on formal nights, but other people seem to have different experiences. I think the OP's question has been answered --- a sport coat for her husband will be fine.

Just back from The Summit. My dh wore dress pants and navy blazer with shirt and tie - many men were dressed the same. There were some who appeared to flaunt the rules (including a couple with two teenager girls who wore hoodies and cut-offs), but I did not see anyone being refused entry to the dining room. Saw only 2 tuxedos - and one of those was in Normandie.

The luggage thingy is bogus. People pay $3-4K for a cruise but can't afford to bring the luggage along with them for formal night? Maybe it's just plain laziness. :rolleyes:

Or, perhaps it is something like this:

We are doing a 70 day trip in January, February and March of next year. A tiny bit of that trip is a 14 day cruise on Millennium. There is absolutely no way that I am carrying formal clothes and move them all over Asia so that someone can not be "offended" by my dress on a formal night. May wear a tie. Won't be wearing a jacket. Have been to too many formal nights and met the code each and every time to stress out about someone else's opinion.

Just off Summit. Was the most casual cruise I've ever seen. People in shorts, t-shirts and shower sandals allowed into the MDR for dinner. Formal nights are Monday and Friday. On our cruise we saw many men go into the MDR on formal night wearing slacks and sport shirts. Don't worry about clothing as it appears that the Bermuda cruises are very casual. Normandie, Blu and Luminae are no formal wear required restaurants, but no shorts are allowed. The buffet is totally casual, and really quite good in terms of food for dinner.

[emoji23] My guys might have been the polo shirt guys on the second formal night. Sorry but even I did not want to dress up formally after an excursion day. By that point in the cruise, I was completely relaxed & stated that way. Ahhhh, it was nice!