using cash deposit for onboard purchases

I finally paid off my Sept 2015 cruise to Alaska on the Crown Princess. As I was filling out the onboard info, they ask me to provide a credit for onboard charges. I have read on here that it IS possible to provide a cash deposit at check-in, for onboard charges, and that I don't need to use a credit card.

I called Princess cruises and the rep told me that if I don't provide a credit card online, I won't be able to print out my boarding documents, and will have to do that at the pier. She also told me that if I am putting a cash deposit in lieu of a credit card, I will have to wait to check in until everybody who has done early check in, has done their stuff. Is that true???

If I have to provide a credit card I will, but I rather have better control of my onboard spending (hence paying a cash deposit).

Input your credit card now then change it to cash deposit upon check in .

...or you can go to the Passenger Services Desk and put down cash. You may want to leave the last charges on a credit card to avoid the hassle of going down the last night to either make the final payment or get a refund of the excess you paid.

You do NOT need to print anything...you don't even NEED to do the online thing! That said...just fill out what you want...leave the credit card info blank...give them cash as needed on the ship.

Folks get all bent out of shape on CC about not printing this or that....none of it is necessary...many folk STILL have no computers or the desire to use them!

...or you can go to the Passenger Services Desk and put down cash. You may want to leave the last charges on a credit card to avoid the hassle of going down the last night to either make the final payment or get a refund of the excess you paid.

My thought exactly :)

Avoids grief and delay at check-in in the terminal, and at ship's Passenger Services on the last night - both of which are prone to lines.

Simple check-in, pay in cash on the ship when it's convenient to you (ie when there's no line at Passenger Services), no need to "check-out"

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I've included my card info then after boarding, I ambled by the Purser's desk and unloaded some cash as my deposit. That pretty much covered all my purchases. Often times after paying off the cruise I'll begin to send myself $ which will cover my expenses.

If you do not complete the online check in, the person checking your party in at the pier will have to print out a hard copy of the Passage Contract for you to read and sign. The primary person on the booking can accept the terms of the contract for both themselves and the others in your party. It makes things quite tedious compared to the normal easy check in but is in no way an excuse for the staff at the port to rush you, be short with you, or accuse you of non-compliance with any requirements.

The topic of Princess' requiring a credit card be entered in the online cruise personalizer comes up frequently on their board; the most recent thread was quite contentious and predictably required intervention from our hosts. There are ways around it of course:

Enter a credit card, agree to the terms and conditions, and print out your boarding passes. Then immediately delete the card information. None of the card information is saved.

Enter a credit card you have no intention of using again (or an expired one, rolling forward the expiration year) and make a cash deposit at the purser's desk after boarding. You need not say a word to the person checking you in at the pier. And there is nothing fraudulent about this as you are only using the card as a placeholder with no intent of making a charge to it--and unlike some other lines (like HAL) Princess does NOT place any holds on the card (or even do inquiries) if you have a positive pre-payment balance (or OBCs)

That's what we often do.

Slap down a card.

Use up our OBC.

Put some $$$ on our account, if we need to.

Leave the last few $ and it is usually only a few to go on the card.

Thanks for all the replies.

Just curious, can you pre-purchase onboard credits for yourself before the cruise?

I am a noob when it comes to cruising:rolleyes:

Yep through the gifts page on Princess site.