In Defense of the Budget Cruiser

mame42

There are times when credibility should be established, and times when degree of experience makes no difference in an answer. No one needs to post the number of cruises they've been on when someone is asking about the menu on the first night.

I would never mention the Voyage of the Vikings, or how many times I've done it if someone were asking about one of the ports visited on that ship. It's not necessary. I would say I had been to that port, as it establishes I am speaking from experience.

There's a difference between saying I've been on 50+ cruises (which I see no need to post) and saying I've been to a given port 5 times when the poster is asking about that port.

See the difference?

Yes, Thank you, Ruth, I see the difference. :)

I'm not sure the examples cited are exactly what I have in mind but that's okay. :)

Edited by sail7seas

There are times when credibility should be established, and times when degree of experience makes no difference in an answer. No one needs to post the number of cruises they've been on when someone is asking about the menu on the first night.

I would never mention the Voyage of the Vikings, or how many times I've done it if someone were asking about one of the ports visited on that ship. It's not necessary. I would say I had been to that port, as it establishes I am speaking from experience.

There's a difference between saying I've been on 50+ cruises (which I see no need to post) and saying I've been to a given port 5 times when the poster is asking about that port.

See the difference?

I do find this post helpful and will try to keep it in mind on future posts.

Edited by qsuzi

See the difference?

Applause Applause. Very well stated. When someone new comes on with questions (we've all been there) we need the question answered direct and to the point, and not receive a resume which amounts to bragging. I am reminded of someone in particular on the Alaska forum who is a fund of information, and never lets on how many days, cruises, etc etc. Just answers each question with information asked for.

On our Eurodam Baltic Adventure cruise last summer it was the passenger appreciation cruise and they posted mariner star status on everyone's cabin door for the 12 days. It was very interesting and informative to walk the hallways.

One of the things that stood out for me was the number of 4 star mariners that had inside cabins. Regardless of disposable income or how one chooses to spend it I was struck by how many people were making the cruising lifestyle work for them.

There was a lesson there for me and I took it all in. :)

What a rude comment!!!

Just because we budget doesn't mean we have no manners and are too cheap to pay the proper fees. You make a very rash judgement. Not all can afford Neptunes, but we do know how to behave and dress.

Thanks and well said. I wouldn't dream of reversing gratuities. As a matter of fact I don't feel it should be an option. The lines should say, this charge is part of the cost of the cruise, period. No reversing gratuities and no reducing them. Those folks work plenty hard and have always provided me an amazing cruise experience.

On our Eurodam Baltic Adventure cruise last summer it was the passenger appreciation cruise and they posted mariner star status on everyone's cabin door for the 12 days. It was very interesting and informative to walk the hallways.

One of the things that stood out for me was the number of 4 star mariners that had inside cabins. Regardless of disposable income or how one chooses to spend it I was struck by how many people were making the cruising lifestyle work for them.

Right - if you want to cruise more, it is often necessary to do so in less expensive accomodations. As with every other activity, budgeting involves weighing frequency against luxury. My wife and I really like to travel - we could do it more if it were more local, or less it it were to more exotic locations.

Interesting....I'm pretty sure you were on the same cruise I was (July 27) and neither DH or I ever saw this! Were we blind? :D:D I know you took a few other Eurodam cruises around the same time, could it possibly have been one of them, or have I lost it?

We have stayed in inside cabins close to 40% of the time. It had nothing to do with a budget, but what we felt like spending at the time. It never occurred to either of us this was something to be ashamed of. There is an article in the USAToday that speaks to this....49% accumulated credit card debt when traveling and 68% went over budget. I have a feeling that many who always have to stay in the best cabin may be the ones who can least afford it. Not always....I know there are plenty here who can afford the best, and I am happy for them. And, I never felt like they were bragging....what is the point of being able to stay in a Neptune if you can't share your excitement? If that ever happens to us, I know I would like to share it with my fellow ccers.

I'd love to see your pictures of the hallways. I've never seen such a thing. It must be fascinating. :)

Sorry to digress here for a minute, but I've never heard of this either (but I have never been on a designated Mariner cruise either.)

I acknowledge that it's not a very invasive tidbit, but It really surprises me that any cruise line would post information of any sort about a passenger on the door. But then you could walk the halls, I suppose, and read names on invitations or other stateroom mail.

Remember when cruise lines used to distribute a passenger list with everyone's names and home towns? Those days are gone with good reason as many people today prefer to guard personal information more carefully - including the fact that they travel often.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Sorry to digress here for a minute, but I've never heard of this either (but I have never been on a designated Mariner cruise either.)

I acknowledge that it's not a very invasive tidbit, but It really surprises me that any cruise line would post information of any sort about a passenger on the door. But then you could walk the halls, I suppose, and read names on invitations or other stateroom mail.

Remember when cruise lines used to distribute a passenger list with everyone's names and home towns? Those days are gone with good reason as many people today prefer to guard personal information more carefully - including the fact that they travel often.

I don't know if it is still the same, but on Princess, you could identify the various levels of past-passengers (e.g., Silver, Gold, etc.) by how their names were printed in the cabin nameplate.

You can see what I mean here: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8248/8661238885_8c11ddc9fe_b.jpg

Come to think of it, I'm not sure HAL even has these name plates -- do they?

Edited by cruisemom42

I don't know if it is still the same, but on Princess, you could identify the various levels of past-passengers (e.g., Silver, Gold, etc.) by how their names were printed in the cabin nameplate.

You can see what I mean here: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8248/8661238885_8c11ddc9fe_b.jpg

Come to think of it, I'm not sure HAL even has these name plates -- do they?

No, HAL doesn't. Just the room number. The only place you would find a name is on the mail in their mail slot.

It is still that way on Princess BUT we always remove the name tag from our door. Others do as well. I view it as an invasion of privacy. The colour along he top of the name tag indicates your Princess status. Don't know what the colours really mean as we do not have enough Princess cruises to bother with it.

Edited by iancal

It is still that way on Princess BUT we always remove the name tag from our door. Others do as well. I view it as an invasion of privacy. The colour along he top of the name tag indicates your Princess status. Don't know what the colours really mean as we do not have enough Princess cruises to bother with it.

I know Princess used to do this but neither my DH or I remember name tags on the Crown this past January. Could just be our faulty memory.

Wow - posted names is amazing, especially in this day and age! Notice how few CC'ers do not even list their home town, or anything close to their full name.

When I worked in an office, we had a mandatory sign-out board and we were not allowed to add 'on vacation' for privacy and especially for security.

Wow - posted names is amazing, especially in this day and age! Notice how few CC'ers do not even list their home town, or anything close to their full name.

When I worked in an office, we had a mandatory sign-out board and we were not allowed to add 'on vacation' for privacy and especially for security.

I guess I'm dense but unless you have a really unusual name how would they tie your name back to where you live? The ships have thousands of people on them. I've never seen a blank name plate yet on a ship so clearly not many people worry about it.

Edited by cruz chic

Interesting....I'm pretty sure you were on the same cruise I was (July 27) and neither DH or I ever saw this! Were we blind? :D:D I know you took a few other Eurodam cruises around the same time, could it possibly have been one of them, or have I lost it?

You are spot on Cruising-along. I did get my Eurodams mixed up. We did the Fjords,highland and Ireland in 2013 and the Baltic Adventure in 2014.

Thankfully lol we have broken the Eurodam sprial. Maasdam next.

Again in this case all the cabins had a paper stuck on the door that did not indicate a name but did indicate mariner status.

I posted the pic I took in a previous post.

You are spot on Cruising-along. I did get my Eurodams mixed up. We did the Fjords,highland and Ireland in 2013 and the Baltic Adventure in 2014.

Thankfully lol we have broken the Eurodam sprial. Maasdam next.

Again in this case all the cabins had a paper stuck on the door that did not indicate a name but did indicate mariner status.

I posted the pic I took in a previous post.

Whew! :D I'm relieved to know I haven't "lost it" at least when it comes to remembering that cruise. :D Thanks for letting us know. I did remember you had taken at least one other Eurodam cruise before ours.