X transAtlantics

TomTN

I thought the Azores was one of the highlights of my last TA. We took a wonderful private tour and learned a lot about the island. My next TA is stopping twice in the Canaries. Expect to enjoy that as well. And then all those glorious sea days in which to relax after our previous port-intensive cruise!

We stopped in the Azores on a TA & did not take a tour, but walked close to the pier area. We thought it was very picturesque.

If you are going to Tenerife & Lanzarote, you are in for a treat! Try to take a tour up to Mt. These on Tenerife. At 14,00 feet, you are above the clouds. But the bus ride going up can be harrowing on the narrow, winding road.

Lanzarotehas a moon like landscape which we found fascinating. We were told that the Apollo astronauts did training there because it closely resembles the moon.

If you don't like sea days, a TA is not for you. The atmosphere on board is different than other cruises; with much comradery. You really have time to get to know your fellow passengers. We've only done the eastbound in the spring & always had perfect weather & calm seas.

Of course the scheduling question is whether it's worth taking a ship out of Europe in August/Sept to do this cruise (otherwise it's too cold). They would then have a ship in perhaps Bayonne in September which would be a great time to do some East Coast/Canada/foliage tours in Sept/Oct and then an east coast trip including Bermuda down to Florida for the Caribbean Season. It's doable if they can fill the ship at at least what they would net for additional European cruise. After this year, which seems to be a disaster in getting Bookings in Europe (all the deals), maybe they'll look at this. Certainly a Northern crossing would be very welcome vs booking another crossing stopping in the Azores which aren't worth even one stop. Maybe it's something that can be added when the two new ships arrive.

Give me the warm weather route with a better chance of smooth seas and if I want to visit places like Iceland I'll do them on another trip. As for the Azores I've been to them a few times and really like it there. Certainly worth a visit. If you don't do an organised island tour you can just walk off the ship, through the town of Ponta Delgada and there are a couple of very nice botanical gardens to see. Then walk back to the ship, stopping for a drink outside and some people watching, soaking up the atmosphere in the warmth.

Phil

We have done one X TA on Infinity in 2013, to the UK, then did a British Isles cruise and only had to fly one-way home.

The price was pretty good then.

Look at X's TAs today, the prices much higher, in some cases double or triple what we paid for our TA.

We also did a TA on NCL from Copehnagen to Miami at last Oct, had a balcony for less than $800. You can't find that price on X.

We have done one X TA on Infinity in 2013, to the UK, then did a British Isles cruise and only had to fly one-way home.

The price was pretty good then.

Look at X's TAs today, the prices much higher, in some cases double or triple what we paid for our TA.

We also did a TA on NCL from Copehnagen to Miami at last Oct, had a balcony for less than $800. You can't find that price on X.

I'm pretty sure you can. Friends got a balcony for $652 Canadian on the silhouette in April, we paid $749 for our 2B. Just got to shop well.

If you are going to Tenerife & Lanzarote, you are in for a treat! Try to take a tour up to Mt. These on Tenerife. At 14,00 feet, you are above the clouds. But the bus ride going up can be harrowing on the narrow, winding road.

By way of correction, the name is Mount Teide (el Pico del Teide), and it really is a great place to visit. Think big volcano and moonscape. We did an off-road vehicle tour there last fall on our TA port call in Tenerife, and it was fantastic. And we really were above the clouds at one point.

Back to the thread topic: we love TAs, can't have too many seas days! :)

Above%20the%20Clouds%20Tenerife_zps3ewlytbp.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

For those that are considering Transatlantics, our experience has been that spring TA's are generally much smoother than those in sept/oct due to the tropical storms that form off Africa and then turn up the atlantic and across to the UK. All of our spring TA's were so smooth that you could have kayaked next to the ship the entire way. Last Fall's westbound TA had us in 30 ft seas (exciting, but not quite so relaxing).

I've loved cruising since I first set foot onboard the Star Princess in 1996. When I met my husband he told me in no uncertain terms how much he hated cruising. A year later he was disappointed that I had not asked him to join me on a cruise and had asked my sister instead. A couple cruises later with me, he decided not only did he LOVE cruising, he didn't want to go on anything less than 10 days. Of course, I believe his love of cruising has more to do with his wonderful traveling companion...ME! We sailed from Venice to FLL for our honeymoon and fell in love with transatlantic a. We love flying over, doing all our touring up front when we have lots of energy. Then we still have 5-7 days to totally relax before getting off. Not to mention we love getting back to the U.S. with our bodies adjusted to East Coast time so we only have the two hour time change to deal with instead of 8 hour jet lag.

I'm glad there are options and choices for all to decide what works for them.

I'm pretty sure you can. Friends got a balcony for $652 Canadian on the silhouette in April, we paid $749 for our 2B. Just got to shop well.

I would opine that those low prices are only available after final payment just weeks before the cruise. That works for some people, but I like to plan our trips much earlier. We would still have airfare to purchase coming back, and prices are frequently more expensive when purchased a few weeks before the flight.

When I took the Infinity cruise in 2013, after final payment, balcony guarantees were down to $300 pp.

Prices have gone up significantly.

I would opine that those low prices are only available after final payment just weeks before the cruise. That works for some people, but I like to plan our trips much earlier. We would still have airfare to purchase coming back, and prices are frequently more expensive when purchased a few weeks before the flight.

When I took the Infinity cruise in 2013, after final payment, balcony guarantees were down to $300 pp.

Prices have gone up significantly.

Actually, I bought my April 2015 cruise in July 2014 on a Firecracker sale. And just to set the record straight, so as not to unnecessarily scare off other potential cruisers, Choice Air has great one way rates that do not change much at all. We frequently book our return air right before leaving, and can generally fly from someplace in Europe to San Francisco for about $550/pp.

On this last cruise, we didn't book return air at all before we left. We were spending time on land after the TA, and about two weeks before we wanted to depart we booked on Norwegian Air, $639 for BOTH of us, nonstop Oslo-Oakland.

I have frequently saved money on OW air from Europe to LAX or JFK through Choice Air by waiting until after final payment to book. But then I do NOT like to make nonrefundable plans until and unless absolutely necessary so this tactic may not be for everyone.

By way of correction, the name is Mount Teide (el Pico del Teide), and it really is a great place to visit. Think big volcano and moonscape. We did an off-road vehicle tour there last fall on our TA port call in Tenerife, and it was fantastic. And we really were above the clouds at one point.

Back to the thread topic: we love TAs, can't have too many seas days! :)

Above%20the%20Clouds%20Tenerife_zps3ewlytbp.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

You are right of course! My fingers are too fat for the keyboard! Where's spell check when you need it!!??

Great photo! It was also crystal clear the day we were there. It's strange looking down at the clouds!

We've done 5 TA's and have 2 more booked.

We never call it a "cruise". To us, it is an alternative mode of transportation to or from Europe. We always try to do one leg of our European trip on a ship because we do not enjoy cramped flights and the hassle of going through airport security.

To us, the true cost of a TA is the price of the voyage minus the cost of the airfare. If the difference is $300 to $900, then we consider that to be the true cost of the TA voyage. For a 7 to 13 days crossing, we consider that to be tremendous value given that instead of a cramped economy class seat with a plastic dinner on an airplane, we get 7 or more days in a cabin (bigger than even a first-class seat), with meals and entertainment included for the entire voyage.

And to boot, TA's are bargain priced compared to any other type of cruise.

I'm sorry if this convinces more people to take TA's because we really enjoy the bargains that currently exist!! :)

Edited by commodoredave

For those that are considering Transatlantics, our experience has been that spring TA's are generally much smoother than those in sept/oct due to the tropical storms that form off Africa and then turn up the atlantic and across to the UK. All of our spring TA's were so smooth that you could have kayaked next to the ship the entire way. Last Fall's westbound TA had us in 30 ft seas (exciting, but not quite so relaxing).

While spring southern route TAs may generally be smoother, I have the opposite experience. We have done 2 southern-route eastbounds, 5 northern-route westbounds and 5 southern-route westbounds. The roughest experience we ever had was on an eastern TA from Miami to Barcelona in 2005. We hit a storm that was too large to go around so we had to go through it. Take a look at the conditions on the TV in the cabin and note 3 things:

the time (we were awakened by our bedside tables falling over)

the true wind (101 mph)

wind across the deck (105 mph)

We have experienced rough seas on a couple of the northern routes that may have lasted longer than the 6 - 8 hours of this storm, but nothing nearly as severe. And we have had some 15-20 waves on other southern-route cruises as well.

It is great that there are so many choices to suit the many, many different preferences of cruisers. But as far as weather goes, the absolute best you can hope for is that the generalities work in your favor and you don't encounter what is more than an occasional exception.

BrillianceSatellite-vi.jpg

Edited by bob278

Our experience on Southern TAs has been the opposite. We find the TAs from the west in Oct and Nov much smoother than spring TAs...seas that look like glass. We would not take a TA that followed a northernly route.

So, who knows?

Done both directions, both northern and southern crossings. Spring of 2014 the actual crossing portion was Halifax to Cobh. That's about as northerly as they get. Like glass all the way. Did a w/b several years ago Barcelona to FLL in late November, southern crossing, when Millennium was only running on one pod. Again like glass. An E/B in spring 2006 Summit from San Juan to South Hampton was stormy and incredibly rough high seas. Last fall crazy high seas on the Infinity crossing from Harwich to FLL we had to skip Lisbon due to high seas.

They can be all over the place.

While spring southern route TAs may generally be smoother, I have the opposite experience. We have done 2 southern-route eastbounds, 5 northern-route westbounds and 5 southern-route westbounds. The roughest experience we ever had was on an eastern TA from Miami to Barcelona in 2005. We hit a storm that was too large to go around so we had to go through it. Take a look at the conditions on the TV in the cabin and note 3 things:

the time (we were awakened by our bedside tables falling over)

the true wind (101 mph)

wind across the deck (105 mph)

We have experienced rough seas on a couple of the northern routes that may have lasted longer than the 6 - 8 hours of this storm, but nothing nearly as severe. And we have had some 15-20 waves on other southern-route cruises as well.

It is great that there are so many choices to suit the many, many different preferences of cruisers. But as far as weather goes, the absolute best you can hope for is that the generalities work in your favor and you don't encounter what is more than an occasional exception.

BrillianceSatellite-vi.jpg

WOW! I thought we had a rough Xing. Spain to Madeira we had 70+ winds 45 ft. seas. All the shops mdse off tables on floor. Dining dishes everywhere. Captain had a hard time righting the ship at one point. Had to skip Madeira. Our veranda windows on the 8th deck were salt encrusted the next day. Don't take TA. Prices are too high, that way they may come down for our next TA booking.

Getting ready to take our first TA this fall on the Silhouette. We will be doing a westbound trip to take advantage of some 25 hour days. We are a little concerned about what to do with 7 straight seadays to end our cruise. I somehow think we will find something to do.

Getting ready to take our first TA this fall on the Silhouette. We will be doing a westbound trip to take advantage of some 25 hour days. We are a little concerned about what to do with 7 straight seadays to end our cruise. I somehow think we will find something to do.

We were on that same TA last fall. It was simply wonderful. You will find plenty to do, or find you won't want to do anything at all, just watch the ocean go by. (And the Silhouette is a fabulous ship.)

Enjoy your crossing!

We will be going on the same cruise ( by the way - it has been almost sold out )So looking forward to it. It will my 3d TA and I absolutely love them. I like fall TA better - do some sightseeing first, then have days of putting feet up and getting some relaxation time. Visiting Persian Garden every day is a pampering bonus- Ahhhhhhh:)

Actually, I bought my April 2015 cruise in July 2014 on a Firecracker sale. And just to set the record straight, so as not to unnecessarily scare off other potential cruisers, Choice Air has great one way rates that do not change much at all. We frequently book our return air right before leaving, and can generally fly from someplace in Europe to San Francisco for about $550/pp.

On this last cruise, we didn't book return air at all before we left. We were spending time on land after the TA, and about two weeks before we wanted to depart we booked on Norwegian Air, $639 for BOTH of us, nonstop Oslo-Oakland.

I just checked for deals under Firecracker sales. I didn't find and deals much better than what the cruise lines are offering.

I just checked for deals under Firecracker sales. I didn't find and deals much better than what the cruise lines are offering.

I have no idea what a firecracker sale is, but it is WAY too early to look for TA sales, as the next ones are in the fall. The time to look is in the weeks after final payment. While they are not as low as in the past, you can find some really nice deals then, & not only on insides & outsides, but balcony & above. The cheapest TAs are most likely going to be the ones with the least amount of European ports, or the ones with Caribbean ports. Love Trans Atlantics!

I have no idea what a firecracker sale is, but it is WAY too early to look for TA sales, as the next ones are in the fall. The time to look is in the weeks after final payment. While they are not as low as in the past, you can find some really nice deals then, & not only on insides & outsides, but balcony & above. The cheapest TAs are most likely going to be the ones with the least amount of European ports, or the ones with Caribbean ports. Love Trans Atlantics!

CathyCruises indicated she had found a great deal in July from a firecracker sale. Such sales appear to be in place, but I didn't see any great deals from the main line internet TAs.

You're right, I just checked and there are no TA deals on this round of firecracker sales. But there were last year. . .

In the end, if I had waited I could have saved about $100/pp but I wouldn't have gotten the cabin I loved. It was worth it to me, YMMV.

You're right, I just checked and there are no TA deals on this round of firecracker sales. But there were last year. . .

In the end, if I had waited I could have saved about $100/pp but I wouldn't have gotten the cabin I loved. It was worth it to me, YMMV.

They won't announce any TA sales/Tuesday Specials until after final payment -- still about a month and 1/2 away.