Over the door Shoe organizers

retiredkid

Are they allowed? They discouraged them on the Disney ships last year.

I used to bring one, but now have two bags with about 6 clear plastic pockets which I use for incidentals & can hang them both on the hook of the Bathroom door except on the Prinsendam which had a sliding door..If we cruised on Prinsendam again I would take another hood to put over the door to our closet & hang these bags..

Are they allowed? They discouraged them on the Disney ships last year.

We've used them on our cruises. Just helps keep things organized. The one we have isn't an "over the door" type, though… it has a hook.

ry%3D400

thanks serendipity1499 and borasue. We have our over-the-door type and sometimes hang it on the outside of the bathroom door.... that way, we can still use the hooks on the inside of the door. At any rate, I am happy that I can pack one.

Have cruised HAL for years with one of these. We have one with a single rotating hook and usually hang it in the cabin where the bathrobes hang. No one has ever said anything so figure it is ok.

good news, cuz we bring a lotta 'stuff'.

thanks!

Yes Judy, they are exactly that, but as I mentioned in an earlier post I no longer use the shoe bags..

Instead we use two of these hanging bags to put all the incidentals in.. One is always packed with Band-aids, alcohol, foot powder, hand cream, etc. etc. I keep lists of what is in each bag & tape a list on the outside of each pocket.. Hand carry my cosmetics in a small cosmetic bag.. Hand carry my jewelry in another roll up bag which goes into the safe.. Also hand carry all prescription meds in a separate bag..

3/4 of the "stuff" I pack is never used, but I still want to have something if needed..

Between our clothes, shoes & all these bags you can see I'm not a light packer ;) :)

Edited by serendipity1499

I recently returned from a HAL cruise and hung a shoe bag over the bath room door. I found it very helpful. No more wondering where something was--which bag something was hidden inside of. That can easily become frustrating. I wondered if the hanging hooks would fit over the door but it fit perfectly. I can't imagine why the shoe bags would be disallowed on other cruise lines. My shoe bag seemed to hang without scratching the door surface in any way. So glad i took the bag with me. Many a time I came to need something and voila!, there it was right in front of me!

Yes Judy, they are exactly that, but as I mentioned in an earlier post I no longer use the shoe bags..

Instead we use two of these hanging bags to put all the incidentals in.. One is always packed with Band-aids, alcohol, foot powder, hand cream, etc. etc. I keep lists of what is in each bag & tape a list on the outside of each pocket.. Hand carry my cosmetics in a small cosmetic bag.. Hand carry my jewelry in another roll up bag which goes into the safe.. Also hand carry all prescription meds in a separate bag..

3/4 of the "stuff" I pack is never used, but I still want to have something if needed..

Between our clothes, shoes & all these bags you can see I'm not a light packer ;) :)

We take an awful lot of extra stuff as well -- just in case. And most times we rarely use any of it. But there are some ports where you just can't buy some items and I like to always be prepared.

I can't imagine why the shoe bags would be disallowed on other cruise lines. My shoe bag seemed to hang without scratching the door surface in any way.

I somehow recall reading about potential damage from the hooks; not all of them are made the same way and I can imagine some could cause issues.

We have never traveled with one.

We always travel with an over the door shoe bag that has clear plastic sleeves. It's so handy for all our incidentals (and we also bring a lot which is never used) and we've never had an issue with scratching the door.

Thanks so much for that link! I've had one from Totes for at least 20 years and it really needs to be replaced by now. I haven't seen one with the same pockets yet. I'll be ordering that one for sure.

I recently returned from a HAL cruise and hung a shoe bag over the bath room door. I found it very helpful. No more wondering where something was--which bag something was hidden inside of. That can easily become frustrating. I wondered if the hanging hooks would fit over the door but it fit perfectly. I can't imagine why the shoe bags would be disallowed on other cruise lines. My shoe bag seemed to hang without scratching the door surface in any way. So glad i took the bag with me. Many a time I came to need something and voila!, there it was right in front of me!

On DCL, they banned them due to the damage (scratching the door surfaces - yes, some of them do. As well as, with the close fit of the door to frame, putting metal hooks over the doors was warping the door frames and doors).

Ours is a cheapie clear plastic shoe bag that is meant to be over-the-door. The hooks are separate and there are two sets depending on the angle you wish. We just use the hooks on the doorhooks and have never had a problem. I love using this since it keeps the counter mostly free of my "stuff" ... :)

We just got back from an Alaska cruise on the Oosterdam and used the bag holder. The cleaning crew removed the one hanging clip closest to the hinge (we had three total clips) to prevent it from damaging the door finish. Otherwise, we were good.

We have travelled with one on three cruises. Last year on the sea portion of our Alaskan holiday, the concierge from the Neptune Lounge had delivered something to our suite on the last sea day , and was much impressed with the concept. When I delivered her tip, I included the bag, since we were continuing on the landtour portion, and would not use it. She commented that she had returned to her cabin on her next break, organized it, and since her husband also shared the room; left him with instructions for its use.

I bought a shoe hanger several years ago at the Dollar Store and it has a cord instead of hooks. I wrap the cord around the hook or hooks on the bathroom door to take up the slack and it works perfectly.

When I bought it the stitching wasn't very substantial so I over stitched the whole hanger on my sewing machine and it did the trick.

It has served us well and holds a lot of "stuff". There are no metal hooks to cause damage so all is well. It is usually the first thing that gets packed when I haul out the suitcases.