Avoiding Buffet

My GD loves the Windjammer the first day. She finds a place for me to sit then she grabs a plate gets her stuff. Drops it off then gets me a salad with some fish and some bread. We sit down and eat slowly. Discuss where we will be until muster. At 100 o'clock we head to the cabin and drop off our carry-on. I put things away while she grabs her camera and goes pic hunting.

This time we will meet in the Adult area. We go the Muster Drill together. After Muster we go to a M&M that was set up for sail away. Then we go for our first dinner. This year it will be at The Grand. After dinner we go our separate ways me the show. She usually meets up with whoever she has already met.

Sorry, but we prefer the nice luncheon in the dining room on embarkation day on Princess. It is so much more relaxing than the buffet.

Also, when sailing in a suite on NCL there is a nice lunch at Cagney's or Moderno for all suite guests.

Why are you on this thread????:rolleyes::rolleyes:

We avoid the buffet the entire cruise duration. I would go to the promenade. There is plenty there. I work in healthcare and never do buffets for many reasons. I hope you have a great cruise! :)
I work in healthcare and never miss the buffet for many reasons.....:D Edited by Thetrail
spelling

We avoid the buffet the entire cruise duration. I would go to the promenade. There is plenty there. I work in healthcare and never do buffets for many reasons. I hope you have a great cruise! :)
I work in healthcare and never miss the buffet for many reasons.:rolleyes:

I'm a physician. I go to plenty of buffets.

For some reason this made me chuckle, and I agree with the opinion implicit in your reply. I do not suffer from from "buffephobia" and do not seem to be any the worse for it !!!:D;)

For some reason this made me chuckle, and I agree with the opinion implicit in your reply. I do not suffer from from "buffephobia" and do not seem to be any the worse for it !!!:D;)

Read the previous poster and they sounded as if "I work in healthcare and you shouldn't eat in the windjammer!....:rolleyes::eek:

I'm with the group that chooses to board as early as possible and get to the Windjammer when it opens and get out before the crowds get there.

There's just something about it that puts me in cruise mode.

Embarkation day is the ONLY day we go to the WJ....and then we are one of the first people in there when they open....

Yes it is a tradition, and the food is always the best the first day because they want to make an impression.....then it goes downhill from there.

If you are one of the first passengers to WJ, less germs to worry about -- well with plate #1 anyway :D And so much easier to find a seat, with a view even better!

We are in Liberty in Nov 2016 but our group is 38 people strong. It'll be interesting seeing all the newbies in our family reunion group experience the WJ for the first time. Since I'm leading my group and organizing the reunion, I'm like to try and schedule the group to be among the first to board if possible.

....the food is always the best the first day because they want to make an impression.....

Why would they do that? What, are they scared you might get back off the ship before sailaway :eek: And then wouldn't they want to keep up the standard so you don't escape at the ports??

WJ for lunch on boarding day is a tradition with us now - well as much of a tradition as you can have 9 times:)

I'm with you, I will add the Freedom class having the biggest WJ in the fleet does help. Though I'm with the OP on the Oasis class, but there you have more choices.

Really? I'm sailing on my first Freedom class next year. Anything that they offer that is different from Voyager class???

Really? I'm sailing on my first Freedom class next year. Anything that they offer that is different from Voyager class???

Food wise, no. The seating area is quite a bit larger and they have more stations, but the same food. It's been since 2009 since I was on a Voyager class ship, but Freedom does have quite a bit of what I call "snack bar" type of seating. People seem to find it easier to share these style of seats than they do the conventional tables, so it seems to me its usually a little easier to find a seat in the WJ on this class of ship.

Count us as ones who love to go to WJ on embarkation day - we always get on the ship as soon as they'll let us & pretty much head straight there. Enjoy trying the variety of foods & people-watching. When we head out, the big crowds are usually heading in. We then go to the pool deck, get some loungers in the shade and relax and enjoy the ambience until cabins are ready.

In fact, we ate a lot more in the WJ on our 6/14 Freedom cruise than we usually do because the food was better there than the MDR in our opinion. We were not impressed with our experience in the MDR at all - neither service nor food. We had MTD & the service was slow, including the entree getting out several nights. Our assistant waiter was horrible & midway through the cruise we decided we didn't want to waste time in there dealing with bad service and mediocre food.

Embarkation day is the ONLY day we go to the WJ....and then we are one of the first people in there when they open....

Yes it is a tradition, and the food is always the best the first day because they want to make an impression.....then it goes downhill from there.

How do you know the food goes downhill later in the week if you only go to the WJ on embarkation day?

Good question. And since we eat there every day I will add that has not been our experience.

I chuckle at the "lack of variety" comments concerning the WJ dinners as if the MDR offers so much more variety :):D:o I saw American, Indian, Mexican, Italian, sushi, and a variety of other things available! How much more variety is needed? The MDR menu is so limited it seems.

I can already see myself not going to the MDR at all on Allure. Too many other choices and I absolutely enjoyed my WJ dinner experience on Freedom.

I chuckle at the "lack of variety" comments concerning the WJ dinners as if the MDR offers so much more variety :):D:o I saw American, Indian, Mexican, Italian, sushi, and a variety of other things available! How much more variety is needed? The MDR menu is so limited it seems.

I can already see myself not going to the MDR at all on Allure. Too many other choices and I absolutely enjoyed my WJ dinner experience on Freedom.

On this past cruise that we did on Indy one of the islands was set up each night as international. They had options from many different countries. My biggest issue was wishing I had more of an appetite so that I could try more of the selections.

In November, we boarded around 1ish. Windjammer was a little busy (not too crazy) but they did open up Giovianne's and Chops for extra seating. We sat in Chop's and we had a nice view of the port and the other ships!

On this past cruise that we did on Indy one of the islands was set up each night as international. They had options from many different countries. My biggest issue was wishing I had more of an appetite so that I could try more of the selections.

On our last few cruises, they have also had a theme night setup in the WJ. On the Freedom, they really went all out with the themes. On the Brilliance, they did similar themes to the Freedom but one night they did "New York Burroughs" night which was very different. There was root beer glazed ribs, red hot dogs and a huge I heart NY cake.

People who say there is no variety really haven't gone looking. I love the tempura vegetables and fish in the WJ at lunch. The mongolian bbq and the make you own pizzas in the WJ at night are my DH favorites. I like the carving station and salad bar.

You read all these complaints about hockey puck hamburgers and nasty hot dogs in the WJ and I can honestly say, I have never eaten either on any of our cruises because why settle for those when you can have a nice slice of beef or pork at the carving station.

You read all these complaints about hockey puck hamburgers and nasty hot dogs in the WJ and I can honestly say, I have never eaten either on any of our cruises because why settle for those when you can have a nice slice of beef or pork at the carving station.

^^^ This, yes! I figure I can eat a hot dog, hamburger, pizza etc any day of the week not on vacation so I'd rather have things I couldn't cook myself, try something new or I know is already amazing from previous cruises on Royal.