US to reopen embassy in Havana

richwmn

Glad to hear it. This is one of the BIG steps to get US/Cuba to a point where we can visit and cruise ships could potentially be worked into future itineraries.

No changes will occur overnight (obviously) but exciting news no matter the overall time frame!

Glad to hear it. This is one of the BIG steps to get US/Cuba to a point where we can visit and cruise ships could potentially be worked into future itineraries.

No changes will occur overnight (obviously) but exciting news no matter the overall time frame!

Not really. Congress has to take some crucial steps to allow US citizens to travel freely, and given it is election season, and with two Cuban heritage Senators running for President are dead set against it, the chances aren't great...

Cuba is without a doubt our all time favourite island in the Caribbean.

It has the best of everything. Extremely friendly and gracious people. Wonderful beaches, and the enchanting city of Havana.

Not really. Congress has to take some crucial steps to allow US citizens to travel freely, and given it is election season, and with two Cuban heritage Senators running for President are dead set against it, the chances aren't great...

President can announce his intentions but Congress has to fund the millions required to get the building/staffing to required levels.

If I were a betting person...I would wager a Carnival Corporation European flag carrier will be the first into Cuba in the form of a private full music charter in conjunction with the Havana International Jazz Festival in December...the ship (under 1000 guests) is self sufficient for housing and would tender into Havana Harbor...alot of Jazz loving Americans would pay big bucks for that honor

New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival has had an exchange program with it's Havana counterpart for years...Afro Cuban Jazz is the conduit that will open the door

Won't do any good for cruisers in the foreseeable future.

There are lots of cruises you can take to Cuba - just not out of the US. Do a WEB search. I believe that RoadScholar even offers one that you can book in the US although you do not cruise out of the US.

All it takes is a bit of out-of-the-box thinking.

DON

If I were a betting person...I would wager a Carnival Corporation European flag carrier will be the first into Cuba in the form of a private full music charter in conjunction with the Havana International Jazz Festival in December...the ship (under 1000 guests) is self sufficient for housing and would tender into Havana Harbor...alot of Jazz loving Americans would pay big bucks for that honor

New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival has had an exchange program with it's Havana counterpart for years...Afro Cuban Jazz is the conduit that will open the door

Do you have some 'inside information' in this regard? Have you heard something like this is being considered?

Google WDSU (New Orleans NBC affiliate).." The Cuban Experience" that was broadcast last weekend on local Channel 6....lead by Tulane University a large New Orleans Coalition has traveled to Cuba several times (most recently this Spring) to establish a People to People Sister City relationship in anticipation of POTUS Obama's announcement...the groundwork

is already in place...little known fact...Cuba reached out to New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina to provide much needed direct assistance while the Federal Govt was disorganized...the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival has an incredible relationship with the Cuban Jazz Community.....it will take years for Cuba to develop the infrastructure to handle mega ships, but several German cruise lines already call on Havana so it can be easily chartered for a

Jazz Cruise during the Havana International Jazz Festival, because it would not put a strain on Havana hotels or dining venues (also google Blue Note Travel.com/visitCuba)...remember, private full charter Jazz Cruises are very lucrative

Disregard the partisian political noise coming out Washington...it's all for show,...never heard this noise when Nixon open relationships with China ..."The Cuban Experience" special should enlighten you....Richard Branson of Virgin Records is getting into the Cruise Business ...bet he's already planning his first music cruise to Havana

Personally, I think it will be awhile before cruise ships that call on US ports will be permitted to go to Cuba. However, I am happy and encouraged that there are some steps being taken to normalize relationships between the two countries and good things will come of that.

Don't count on it! IMO Congress will not support U.S. Citizens to freely travel to Cuba for the next several years..

We have several well liked Cuban American Congressmen who pledge to block and not appoint an Ambassador to Cuba or fund the Embassy in Havana.. If we don't have an Ambassador, or the funding for an Embassy, you can bet that most Americans will not be permitted to travel to Cuba, unless they do so via Canada..

I know that I will not go there until Congress & our Government gives their blessing to open travel to Cuba..

Edited by serendipity1499

I know that I will not go there until Congress & our Government gives their blessing to open travel to Cuba..

I have been there on a 16 day RoadScholar trip. It was one of the best trips of my life - in spite of Congress' attitude toward my going.

You don't have to take a cruise to visit Cuba.

By the way, check this out on a recent Cuban medical advance as reported by the World Health Organization which I am reasonably sure that Cube does not control -

http://www.themedicplace.com/cuba-eradicates-mother-to-child-hiv-transmission/

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/mtct-hiv-cuba/en/

Have we accomplished this in the US?

DON

I have been there on a 16 day RoadScholar trip. It was one of the best trips of my life - in spite of Congress' attitude toward my going. You don't have to take a cruise to visit Cuba....

(HIV eradication) ...Have we accomplished this in the US?....DON

In regards to visiting Cuba through Canada, or from any other country... it is STILL illegal to do so! How fortunate though, that us Americans have the freedom and money to choose to go these other ways.... if you were Cuban trying to get out of Cuba illegally, you would be in much deeper trouble. AND we have the freedom to openly talk on these websites about our trips to Cuba, without any persecution.... NOT them.

In regards to eradicating HIV... we should look at what methods the Cubans used. I believe the Cuban population doesn't have the freedom to CHOOSE what they want to do with the medical dilemmas. (ie. if the gov. decides it's best to give the HIV positive mother an abortion, it would do so WITHOUT THE FUTURE MOTHER'S AGREEMENT. This would be an impossibility to be carried out in USA)

Cuban government controls E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G in it's population... "welcome" to Communism!

Edited by silviaeaston

If I were a betting person...I would wager a Carnival Corporation European flag carrier will be the first into Cuba in the form of a private full music charter in conjunction with the Havana International Jazz Festival in December...

This December? Not a chance. Not out of the U.S., at least.

Lifting the trade embargo, and confirmation of an ambassador, require approval from Congress. But an embassy can be established and staffed under the State Department's own budget, the President can elevate the Chief of the US Interests Section to acting ambassador, and the President can accept the credentials of a Cuban Ambassador. Congress can't prevent that without a veto-proof majority in both houses.

Ships registered in the US (rare or nonexistent for cruise ships) are still bound by the embargo, and cruise ships calling at Cuban ports won't be allowed in US ports for many months afterward, under the embargo.

It's very easy for US citizens to fly to Cuba (from Canada, Mexico, and Jamaica, for instance). It will be some time still before cruises from the US to Cuba become a reality, but the ridiculous embargo will not last forever. And cruises to Cuba by ships that do not call at US ports will become more common than they already are, when and if cruise lines see it as profitable.

Edited by Blue Mudshark

We think that Cuba is one Caribbean island that we would not particularly want to visit only on cruise.

Why....so much to see, do, and experience. Six hours in Havana or a few hours on a beach such as Veradero would not do it for us. It is simply too short a time to enjoy the charms of the island.

Highly recommend a land based trip.

Edited by iancal

President can announce his intentions but Congress has to fund the millions required to get the building/staffing to required levels.

"The United States Interests Section" building located in Havana at Calzada between L and M Streets, Vedado was renovated in 1997. It overlooks historic Havana Harbor.

Basically it would be a name change to "The American Embassy".

The American Ambassador Jeffrey DeLaurentis became the head of the U.S. Interests Section in Havana, Cuba in August 2014. He may be in line for the post at the "NEW" building.

They have a staff that provides most services an actual "Embassy" performs.

The United States Interests Section's telephone number is (53)(7) 839-4100.

Office hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m

bosco

"The United States Interests Section" building located in Havana at Calzada between L and M Streets, Vedado was renovated in 1997. It overlooks historic Havana Harbor.

Basically it would be a name change to "The American Embassy".

The American Ambassador Jeffrey DeLaurentis became the head of the U.S. Interests Section in Havana, Cuba in August 2014. He may be in line for the post at the "NEW" building.

They have a staff that provides most services an actual "Embassy" performs.

The United States Interests Section's telephone number is (53)(7) 839-4100.

Office hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m

bosco

Thank you. Interesting.