Vancouver 10:30 am flight

xyankee

Ready to book my return flight for Alaska cruise next May. Ship is scheduled to arrive in Vancouver, BC at 7:30 am on a Saturday. I would assume a 10:30 am flight would be very difficult to catch? Next flight after 10:30 am is at 5:15 pm.

• A 10:30am flight means you need to be at the airport at 7:30am for customs and all those searches.
  • it takes about 30 minutes by cab to get to the airport. So need to be in that cab at 7am.
  • How busy is customs... budget 30 to 45 minutes.... want to be walking off the ship at 6:15am
  • it takes 30 minutes to tie that ship up.... is the Wonder docking at 6:45am???? I think the first walk offs are 7:30am. You need at least an extra hour.

Another vote to take the later flight or spend a few post cruise days in Vancouver. It's bigger than all the Alaskan ports combined.

Another option is a $50 shuttle to Seattle... Can anyone share what's the earliest Seattle same day flight time? Is it 5pm?

Edited by xlxo

Ready to book my return flight for Alaska cruise next May. Ship is scheduled to arrive in Vancouver, BC at 7:30 am on a Saturday. I would assume a 10:30 am flight would be very difficult to catch? Next flight after 10:30 am is at 5:15 pm.

You are pushing the envelope, most cruise ships are tied up my 0700 so even with custom clearances, if you self-disembark you should be standing on the curb of Canada Place by 0830, the airport is 3o mins away on a Saturday morning so you should be there by 0900. It is recommend that you arrive a full 2 full hours before flight time as you must clear security and US CBP at YVR assuming you are flying directly to a US airport. If your flight is thru Toronto then you need only to be there a full hour before flight time. In either case from a pure pragmatic point of view we Vancouver types don't recommend a flight before 1100 but it really comes down to your tolerance for stress after enjoying a lovely Alaskan cruise....the time frame above is pretty accurate, you will have to make the decision.

Thanks all for the recommendations. I booked the 5:15 pm flight.

We flew from Vancouver at 4:00 and took a ship's tour around the city & the wonderful Stanley Park which ended at YVR. That still got us to the airport at about noon & we had to wait until 1:00 to check-in for our WestJet flight home.

We found the airport to be very convenient including using a kiosk to print out a U.S. immigration & customs "recept" & being processed before our flight back to the U.S. :)

Not a bad plan at all. I have no idea of your plans for the time between disembarkation and flight time but you can check your luggage at Canada Place and ride around the city on one of the HOHOs....my fave is the Vancouver Trolley which begins and ends it routes at Canada Place. Another option is Vancouver Tours which picks you up at Canada Place post cruise and takes you and your luggage on a tour then drops you off at YVR.

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/tours/hop-on-hop-off

http://vancouvertours.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I know someone who did make the 10:30 flight out of Vancouver back in early May but I would never do it myself (we stayed overnight and went out early the next day. Smart to book the later flight IMO.

Unfortunately some people who have a need to meet work or family schedules don't have any choice but to catch earlier flights. A 10:30 is doable...it's a lot of pressure, not my idea of a fun way to end a vacation....but some people don't have a choice.

• 2 weeks later...
It is recommend that you arrive a full 2 full hours before flight time as you must clear security and US CBP at YVR assuming you are flying directly to a US airport.

We have TSA pre check. Does US CBP honor that in Vancouver? We are looking at a 10:45am flight to DCA. Thanks.

R&D

We have TSA pre check. Does US CBP honor that in Vancouver? We are looking at a 10:45am flight to DCA. Thanks.

R&D

No - there's no TSA in Vancouver, just CBP, security is provided locally. However if you have a physical card that proves your TSA Precheck status (I'm not familiar with what's issued by this program) you can flash it at the 'fast track' security queue and see if they let you in - I was able to use the fast track security at Heathrow no problem by showing my NEXUS card, even though the UK is not part of that program.

I would not depend on it though - book a later flight if possible, and if not get off the ship as soon as you possibly can.

NB: when it comes time to renew Precheck, apply for NEXUS instead if you're eligible. It gives all the benefits of both Precheck and Global Entry, plus dedicated land border lanes, at a lower cost...

• 3 weeks later...

We are Canadian and are using the ships airfare package. They have us booked on a domestic flight back home at 10:30 am. I think this is tight but do-able?

We did an 11:00am out of Fort Lauderdale once and made it and that was an international flight. We did carry off our own luggage though.

I'd kind of hope the cruise line wouldn't book the air if they didn't think you would make it?