Cabin Bait and Switch by Princess - Watch out for this!

peggy10

peggy10 - Are you still there? :confused: Do you see where you went wrong when you booked your cabin? I hope the information has helped you so that next time, you'll make sure your cabin is marked "no upgrade" and you won't have this problem. I hope you still have a fantastic time on your cruise! :)

First time poster and want to bet that they will never be back.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

We selected no upgrade for our cabins because we are traveling with teen kids and have cabins right next door to each other. If we did get moved would they notify the TA immediately and what are the odds of this? I thought we were safe with no upgrade selected :(

Since you indicated no upgrade, Princess is supposed to notify you (via your TA) if they want to offer an upgrade.

Those that indicate they will accept an upgrade can be upgraded without prior notice.

My husband and I are booked on the Ruby Princess for an Alaskan cruise. At the time of booking we very specifically choose cabin L227 because we like the location, but we said would be open to an upgrade if available. We made final payment and we still had cabin L227.

Shortly after final payment, we went to Europe and, while there, our travel agent received an attachment for an "Upsale" offer from Princess to upgrade to a mini-suite for $129.00 per person. Unfortunately our agent was on vacation at the time and another agent forwarded the document to us, unaware that Princess had moved us to an undesirable cabin which is right under the Lido deck. Anyone who cruises and has been stuck on the deck right below the Lido deck, knows it is very noisy. We very specifically avoid this deck. I was unable to open the attachment, so e-mailed the agent and was told it is for an "Upsale". We declined the offer.

After returning from our Europe, while printing our boarding passes for this cruise, I discover that we are no longer in the cabin we originally choose (L227) and have been moved to R605. I immediately call our agent as we did not see anything from Princess offering the switch in cabins. The new cabin just appeared in small letters on the "Upsale" document. We believe they made the cabin change to force us to take the "Upsale". After several discussions with Princess, we are now stuck because they consider the room change to be an upgrade. They have offered to move us to a different room for and additional $300!!

Bottom line people, if you are offered an "Upsale", check to see if they have moved you to a very undesirable location and then try to squeeze more money from you by offering an upgrade.

We have 84 days cruising with Princess and we are extremely unhappy.

Thanks for posting, I normally call princess book with them so I have heard them ask me if I wanted an upgrade. I have always commented no. I did book a couple of weeks ago on line for the red, white and blue sale a mini suiye on the lido deck. I used my cellphone to do this. I did not see the no upgrade selection. Perhaps using the cell im probably on a mobile site and not there full site as on other websites. So thanks for the reminder i will definitely give them a call. However, one cruise I booked a mini suite and very close to the elevators since my 82 year old Mom was with us. Anyway, I recieved an email that we got an upgrade to another room.. At first I panicked was like oh no I need the room we got. I looked it up ended up we got a full suite, the St Thomas on the Caribbean Princess. No upcharge. This was awesome. I did call princess right away to make sure this was correct and not to miss out on the deal..I was given a supervisor because there was a small charge because we had the insurance plan and I needed to pay the amount of the new room insurance charge. I suppose she wanted a supervisor to explain this to me. I did not have a problem with extra amount I was still very excited. I did ask however, how was I considered. She stated one of the considerations for us getting the bigger room was because my mom was handicapped and very old and the electric scooter we rented was from their company.. This happened about 6 years ago. However, there will probably be lots of folks stating that is not how this procedure is done. Haha I don't really care. But it was the best and last trip we had together. As my Mom passed away 4 months later. So Princess made my Mom's last cruise a very special memory to us. I book so many cruises on princess and other lines I cannot Remer if we stated no upgrades and they still asked. But I did have time to accept or deny the room change. But I have seen on other post threads that people have had your same issue...

I wish the moderators would close/remove this post because it is inaccurate and an unfair slam on Princess. OP allowed a change, it was given, and there is no bait and switch.

Edited by FritzG

I looked it up ended up we got a full suite, the St Thomas on the Caribbean Princess. No upcharge. This was awesome. I did call princess right away to make sure this was correct and not to miss out on the deal..I was given a supervisor because there was a small charge because we had the insurance plan and I needed to pay the amount of the new room insurance charge.

Not sure why the insurance went up.

Insurance covers the $$$ you paid. You Did not pay extra for the upgrade, so the amount of $$$ insured should not have changed.

I agree with Bill. Unless you accepted an upsell, your price wouldn't change. Insurance is based on the amount you paid, not the price you would have paid if you'd booked the more expensive cabin. Something doesn't sound right. I'd double check with the TA and find out exactly why the cost of insurance went up.

I recently sailed and was happily surprised by a free upgrade from an obstructed OV to a Caribe deck balcony. It did not change my insurance costs nor anything else connected with the booking (except a better cabin). Check with your TA.

Edited by rpcv77

If you paid for the upsell, your insurance would go up. If it was a free upgrade, there would be no change in insurance since the cruise fare did not increase.

And as I recently learned with an upsell offer, when moving from an inside to a balcony cabin the FCC amount does not increase because it's an upsell offer & not a true paid upgrade.

If you didn't want to be moved, you could have had your TA mark your booking "Do not upgrade" but even then, Princess still has the option of moving you.

True. Every 'passage contract' I've ever read, on every line of which I've sailed states something to that effect.

Several years ago when checking a possible booking online there was an option to choose whether to accept a complimentary upgrade or not.

I don't know why it was removed but now it's only viewable by Princess or by our TA. Since these options are not displayed for passengers to view then not everyone is aware of it & that by default it's to accept any upgrade. I know that for awhile it was an online booking option & Princess needs to again make it available to view. Learning by word of mouth is not the way to fully inform passengers & they should add these options to our booking options & to show our choice in our reservations.

Even if marking "no upgrade" it's not guaranteed that Princess will honor our request because the contract gives them the option to make changes just like airlines do with seat reservations. Fortunately I've never been forced to make a cabin or airline seat change but it's their prerogative even though they don't want to use that option & to upset their passengers.

Edited by Astro Flyer

My husband and I are booked on the Ruby Princess for an Alaskan cruise. At the time of booking we very specifically choose cabin L227 because we like the location, but we said would be open to an upgrade if available. We made final payment and we still had cabin L227.

Shortly after final payment, we went to Europe and, while there, our travel agent received an attachment for an "Upsale" offer from Princess to upgrade to a mini-suite for $129.00 per person. Unfortunately our agent was on vacation at the time and another agent forwarded the document to us, unaware that Princess had moved us to an undesirable cabin which is right under the Lido deck. Anyone who cruises and has been stuck on the deck right below the Lido deck, knows it is very noisy. We very specifically avoid this deck. I was unable to open the attachment, so e-mailed the agent and was told it is for an "Upsale". We declined the offer.

After returning from our Europe, while printing our boarding passes for this cruise, I discover that we are no longer in the cabin we originally choose (L227) and have been moved to R605. I immediately call our agent as we did not see anything from Princess offering the switch in cabins. The new cabin just appeared in small letters on the "Upsale" document. We believe they made the cabin change to force us to take the "Upsale". After several discussions with Princess, we are now stuck because they consider the room change to be an upgrade. They have offered to move us to a different room for and additional $300!!

Bottom line people, if you are offered an "Upsale", check to see if they have moved you to a very undesirable location and then try to squeeze more money from you by offering an upgrade.

We have 84 days cruising with Princess and we are extremely unhappy.

Oh dear :(

This is one time I'm VERY glad (and I sure never thought I'd ever be saying that!) that I have disabilities requiring, for my own safety, a Disabled Accessible Bathroom. My TA, in Australia, couldn't mark "NO UPGRADE" on my booking, but said not to worry as I'm in the only Disabled Accessible Window Suite, and no other Suites meet my requirements-I can't be downgraded! We DID. very specifically disclose that I have multiple physical disabilities-Legal Blindness and Cerebral Palsy and use a Rollator walking frame for independent mobility.

Although it will never happen, it would be neat if Princess sued them for libel for alleging the Princess was doing a bait-ant-switch when they were not. Would serve the OP right.

DON

I thought the same about a thread that accused a line [i think Princess] of fraud

And one that alleged false advertising.

I recently sailed and was happily surprised by a free upgrade from an obstructed OV to a Caribe deck balcony. It did not change my insurance costs nor anything else connected with the booking (except a better cabin). Check with your TA.

We got upgrades on our first two cruises.

Now that was true bait and switch, how else dd we get hooked on Balconies.

We got upgrades on our first two cruises.

Now that was true bait and switch, how else dd we get hooked on Balconies.

LOL! I had actually only sailed in balconies on my cruises on two other lines before Princess. The Diamond was my first obstructed OV and then I had one on the Grand. I don't mind them at all, and they make cruising doable on a public school teacher's salary, which is why I booked one for my recent Crown cruise. However, when we found out at check in that we'd been upgraded to a balcony, we had no objections 😉

Several years ago when checking a possible booking online there was an option to choose whether to accept a complimentary upgrade or not.

I don't know why it was removed but now it's only viewable by Princess or by our TA. Since these options are not displayed for passengers to view then not everyone is aware of it & that by default it's to accept any upgrade. I know that for awhile it was an online booking option & Princess needs to again make it available to view. Learning by word of mouth is not the way to fully inform passengers & they should add these options to our booking options & to show our choice in our reservations.

Even if marking "no upgrade" it's not guaranteed that Princess will honor our request because the contract gives them the option to make changes just like airlines do with seat reservations. Fortunately I've never been forced to make a cabin or airline seat change but it's their prerogative even though they don't want to use that option & to upset their passengers.

When I need to fly from my home town, the aircraft available has a single and a double seat across the cabin with the aisle between the single seat on the port side, and the middle seat on the starboard side. I ALWAYS ask for a single seat as I am loaded first due to disability, and this way I'm settled before the main rush of passengers is trying to load. The airline has always worked WITH me to maximise everyone's safety-they know their requirements, I know what I can manage safely, and when I MUST, as when we need to walk out to the aircraft, be kept under close supervision for safety. I warned the staff member last time, "I've got absolutely NO sense of direction, watch me like a hawk please!" He laughed, and told me to stay on the painted lines which marked the safe area to walk in and kept level with me while pushing another passenger in her wheelchair to the aircraft. I waited with a Ground Crew member while she was loaded aboard with the lifter, then I was loaded, greeted by the hostess, and settled in my seat with carry on case, raincoat and walking stick stowed in the overhead locker, handbag under the seat, and seatbelt securely fastened. I've flown plenty of times with this airline, and we have the routine down pat now. I had a staff member actually remember me from a previous flight-he told me, "You're one of the most organised Disabled passengers we transport-all paperwork ready and waiting, medication in your pocket along with your preferred sweets to chew during take-off, our work is mostly done for us!"

When I need to fly from my home town, the aircraft available has a single and a double seat across the cabin with the aisle between the single seat on the port side, and the middle seat on the starboard side. I ALWAYS ask for a single seat as I am loaded first due to disability, and this way I'm settled before the main rush of passengers is trying to load. The airline has always worked WITH me to maximise everyone's safety-they know their requirements, I know what I can manage safely, and when I MUST, as when we need to walk out to the aircraft, be kept under close supervision for safety. I warned the staff member last time, "I've got absolutely NO sense of direction, watch me like a hawk please!" He laughed, and told me to stay on the painted lines which marked the safe area to walk in and kept level with me while pushing another passenger in her wheelchair to the aircraft. I waited with a Ground Crew member while she was loaded aboard with the lifter, then I was loaded, greeted by the hostess, and settled in my seat with carry on case, raincoat and walking stick stowed in the overhead locker, handbag under the seat, and seatbelt securely fastened. I've flown plenty of times with this airline, and we have the routine down pat now. I had a staff member actually remember me from a previous flight-he told me, "You're one of the most organised Disabled passengers we transport-all paperwork ready and waiting, medication in your pocket along with your preferred sweets to chew during take-off, our work is mostly done for us!"

That's great that the airline did the right thing & properly helped you but you also did a great job by being prepared! :)

Our DIL's parents both have disabilities but they we're not nearly as prepared as you. Fortunately at the airport the agents were able to get them more appropriate seats to make their flight more comfortable for them.

So I'm clear and the answer is no doubt someplace on this board so please don't scoff at me. We always choose our cabin because we book far in advance and have lots of choices I get what I want and have no upgrade on our reservation. That said I was told to have our reservation marked meta-upgrade only. We try to travel in mini suites for the extra space so does that mean with meta only the upgrade fairy could only put us in a full suite? We did this because I told the TA I didn't feel Princess had enough extras for the price they charge for a full suite. They said to add this and who knows maybe we would get to try one some day. Sounds greedy I know but hey you never know unless you try, just hope this is true because we don't want mid ship on the Regal and will remove this meta only on our booking if they can move us to a higher mini cat.

In no way do I think what happened qualifies as a bait and switch. A more appropriate title might be Check Your Bookings! This thread does serve a purpose, though. It reminds me I need to call Princess and verify my upcoming cruise reservation is marked no upgrades. I have one of the Dolphin Deck Vista Suites on the Caribbean Princess, and for our preferences giving up the aft for a mid-ship cabin would be a downgrade!

If an upgrade is a bait and switch, I'd be happy with being bait-and-switched every time! :D Besides, if you don't like the new location, I've always found the cruise lines are willing to move you to another room of the same category if you just ask.

I agree with Bill. Unless you accepted an upsell, your price wouldn't change. Insurance is based on the amount you paid, not the price you would have paid if you'd booked the more expensive cabin. Something doesn't sound right. I'd double check with the TA and find out exactly why the cost of insurance went up.

This was 6 or more years ago. I paid like $35 more per person for the 2 of us. Mini suite to a full suite I definitely was gonna take the suite and listen to there reasoning for the insurance and keep my mouth shut. However, on the ncl trip I took in May. I was asked to upgrade to the haven. For $$$$ plus an extra amount for the insurance..

And as I recently learned with an upsell offer, when moving from an inside to a balcony cabin the FCC amount does not increase because it's an upsell offer & not a true paid upgrade.

Yes, that's right regarding the FCC unfortunately. Wish it were different but it makes sense that it's that way. ;)

So I'm clear and the answer is no doubt someplace on this board so please don't scoff at me. We always choose our cabin because we book far in advance and have lots of choices I get what I want and have no upgrade on our reservation. That said I was told to have our reservation marked meta-upgrade only.
A "meta" upgrade is to a higher/better cabin TYPE. For instance, mini-suite to a full suite. Chances are relatively slim.