Would you pay for a better boarding experience?

HUNKY

Would I pay for a better boarding experience? Probably yes. Would I pay for a better lounge to wait out a not-so-good boarding experience? Definitely not.

I've started 3 cruises in Vancouver. Only time we got through quickly was when the Princess transfer from SEA got us there late, and "everyone" else was already aboard. Otherwise, a lounge would have been silly: there were delays at every step except the Princess check-in.

The one cruise I started in Seattle had easy bag drop, easy through security, moderate to the Princess check-in, then atrocious waiting to get to the station where we had our picture taken for our cruise cards. A lounge would have been sillier still: adding a couple more staff with a couple more handheld devices would have made all the difference, and darnit, if I have to pay extra for that I will.

One of the advantages of being Elite/Platinum/Suite is the Priority Boarding, assuming that's a benefit you value. The so called "lounges", as I see it are just rooms to segregate the Priority Boarding passengers from the others and therefore making it logistically easier to board them at the appropriate time. I already paid the "cost" by sailing multiple times. There's plenty of food once I get on board.

Exactly. And that's all I really care about. I do enjoy savouring my modest but well-earned Platinum perk of early-ish boarding. So I'm happy to have the herd culled for me by the door guardians and be whisked into a separated space to make that easier and less in-your-face (like the mad rush at a gate at the airport when they call for First Class and you have to fight everyone in Coach who also stands up and rushes the gate).

As for the "perks" of that space, I couldn't possibly care less. Carpeting/upholstered chairs? Feh. Just a bench is fine by me. I've got my book and my pre-cruise excitement to keep me entertained and am much too excited to pay attention to my surroundings. As for pastries and coffee -- good grief, can't people go for one hour without food??

Nope. I like the idea of making it all about loyalty levels (will be platinum on my next cruise by number of cruises and also by days), and after that, first come, first serve.

For our last three cruises, we've tried to arrive by noon, and out of those times, twice we didn't have a line to wait in (maybe one party in front of us).

A very interesting question but I have never felt that I needed a special lounge to cool my heals in prior to boarding and never really had a bad pre-boarding experience so my answer would be No, I wouldn't pay. But perhaps some of the folks who book and rave about the sanctuary would.

Like everyone else, I would not pay a fee to use a pre-boarding lounge at the terminal that I am otherwise not entitled to,

BUT, I would pay a fee for priority boarding to get on board ahead of Suites & Elites, or at least be able to board with them by getting in their line according to time of check-in.

I'd consider it, as I have difficulty standing in line for long periods, due to a spinal condition and often have to check out of the hotel long before I can board, somewhere to sit n comfortable seats while waiting [without people bumping my back in the line] may be worth the extra at times.

Like everyone else, I would not pay a fee to use a pre-boarding lounge at the terminal that I am otherwise not entitled to,

BUT, I would pay a fee for priority boarding to get on board ahead of Suites & Elites, or at least be able to board with them by getting in their line according to time of check-in.

I think Carnival has something like that. I think they call it something like "Faster to the Fun." Cost is something like $50 per person.

I think Carnival has something like that. I think they call it something like "Faster to the Fun." Cost is something like $50 per person.

FTTF is $59.95 per cabin, not passenger.

Gets you priority boarding and debark, priority in dining assignments, special GS line and priority tender. Also gets luggage delivered first and cabins available upon boarding. Carnival starts boarding at 11:30 and all cabins are ready about 1:30.

Limited amount is available each cruise, depending on how many Platinum and Diamond cruisers are booked.

FTTF is $59.95 per cabin, not passenger.

Gets you priority boarding and debark, priority in dining assignments, special GS line and priority tender. Also gets luggage delivered first and cabins available upon boarding. Carnival starts boarding at 11:30 and all cabins are ready about 1:30.

Limited amount is available each cruise, depending on how many Platinum and Diamond cruisers are booked.

I think the limit is about 12 cabins per cruise.

For those who are not peons

890215%20003%2002.15.14%20Bayport%20cruise%20terminal%20Elite%20suite%20lounge%20DSC06012_zpswnd47alq.jpg

890215004021514RefreshmentsinElitesuiteloungeDSC06013_zps1794efd1.jpg

Seating area for Platinum (no refreshments)

890215002021514InsideBayportcruiseterminalDSC06011_zps22a7668a.jpg

The Platinum seats look rather more comfortable than the multi-seats in bench formation at my local airport with er-LIMITED padding1 Most uncomfortable. The Elite /Suite lounges and chairs look VERY comfortable.

1 year, 4 calendar months and 1 week to go before I sail on the Golden Princess. With all the useful tips and information I find on Cruise Critic on a daily basis, the actual cruise will be EASY! Have noted to get prescribe anti-nausea medication as I'm on prescribed medication and it's easier to check with the Dr. My preferred medication is compatible with my known medication at this point in time.:cool: :D

LOL - but you'd have to pay me to take a Carnival cruise. That is a sweet thing to have though. I'd pay it to Princess if I could.

I'd call it FTTS (Faster to the Sanctuary).

Edited by steelers36

As mentioned by Pierlesscruisers on another thread, "I don't know how it is in other cities, but that's the case in Seattle, the terminal is owned by the city." As such, waiting areas at the terminals are not that nice, including the Elite lounge.

I could see that the owners of the terminals, and the cruise lines themselves, could make a profit, and delight their guests, by offering and charging for truly luxurious embarkation lounges. Similar to how airlines have clubs which are paid for with yearly dues, or by flying first class.

Access to these lounges is available to ALL, but for a price. If you are traveling in a suite, complimentary access. If you are Elite, $30 each per visit, Platinum, $50 each per visit. One time access for anyone, $75 per person per visit, if space is available. Your "perk" is a heavy discount. Charging for access would help to reduce crowding which sometimes occurs on cruises with many upper tier passengers.

Of course, the old Elite/Platinum/Suite lounges would have to be greatly upgraded. Well designed spaces with comfortable furniture, hot and cold snacks from local restaurants, unlimited alcoholic and other beverages, free high speed Wi Fi and charging stations. They could call it the Sanctuary Lounge. These guests would board first, after any handicapped guests. Other guests would then board based upon their tier level.

Even though my partner and I are lowly Gold on Princess, I can see paying for such a wonderful start to our cruise. Especially, if we are arriving very early to the port.

So, would YOU pay for a better boarding experience?

I am going to go against the tide here and say yes. We only can cruise once every 3 years, so we think that this would add to our experience. Although we never had a problem waiting in the general seating area. I would not mind paying for the privilege once in a while. I also think that there should be two lounges.The elite cruisers should have their own lounge and the people that pay for it get their own lounge. If it comes down to it the elite have spent a lot of money to get to that level.

I am going to go against the tide here and say yes. We only can cruise once every 3 years, so we think that this would add to our experience. Although we never had a problem waiting in the general seating area. I would not mind paying for the privilege once in a while. I also think that there should be two lounges.The elite cruisers should have their own lounge and the people that pay for it get their own lounge. If it comes down to it the elite have spent a lot of money to get to that level.

Great! So, every 3 years they will have a separate lounge for the people that pay. Just joking!!! LOL

worst part is, some will pay, admit it or not. It will become reality in the future as there is money to be made.

Princess is in the market to make money, not give things away for free.

Princess is in the market to make money, not give things away for free.
You forget: Princess doesn't own the terminals which if it is a cruise terminal, it's configured for all the cruise lines sailing from there. Plus there are some embarkation terminals that aren't even really terminals as the ship embarks in a commercial port. You'd be paying the port/city.

I think that overall, Princess does a good job with the available facilities.

You forget: Princess doesn't own the terminals which if it is a cruise terminal, it's configured for all the cruise lines sailing from there. Plus there are some embarkation terminals that aren't even really terminals as the ship embarks in a commercial port. You'd be paying the port/city.

I think that overall, Princess does a good job with the available facilities.

I would say princess rents the facility when they use it don't they? Or we would be paying a fee before we enter it. So they would be able to decide how they want to use the rental property. They can designate the rooms any way they wish I would assume. They can use the room in the above photos for a daycare for the kids until the parents are called to board if they wish.

Maybe that's their plan, get enough people that have access to priority boarding upset as being stuffed in a specific section, that they will be willing to pay for not waiting with the rest. Amusement parks been doing it for years with their Fasttrack access, and such.

If princess decides to make use of the rooms for children or pay for boarding, its their right to do so...

Just like when you rent a venue for a wedding or party, you can decide how the tables, stage, bar, etc are situated. You can use the coat room for coats, or as a bar. The owner doesn't care how its used as long as there are no permanent modifications are made.

Edited by M4dC0w

Yes, they rent it for a few hours but the seating, walls, etc. are fixed and can't be modified. As it is now, Princess places Elite in the section closest to the embarkation door followed by Platinum and then general boarding. In some terminals, Platinum and Elite are in the same area. I can't see that changing. The only thing Princess might be able to do is to set up tables with goodies. In other terminals, the closest room to the embarkation door is relatively small and there is little space for any goodies. At other terminals, you check in and board a bus for a 15-20 minute ride to the ship.

Generally, halls that are rented for all-day events are not booked every day. They need set-up time. At most terminals, it might be Princess one day, HAL the next, Cunard the next, etc. Not to mention that sometimes, there is more than one ship/cruise line sailing from the terminal at the same time.

Modifying the terminal for each cruise would be expensive for Princess because they'd also have to pay to have it put back to it's original state for the next cruiseline the next day. I'd much rather Princess consider a Captain's Circle level above Elite.

As it is now, I've arrived at the terminal (San Pedro) at 11:20am, checked in and been in my cabin at 11:50, with my luggage arriving five minutes later. I don't think that can be improved upon. :)

Edited by Pam in CA