Documents?

JPH814

At the risk of hijacking my own thread ---

Let me clarify for those who might miss my point about Carnival Corp Stock.

If you own at least 100 shares of carnival stock, you can get an On Board Credit for each sailing on board any carnival corp. ship (including HAL). I view this as a non-taxable "dividend". I know it is not a dividend per se but money is money..

The stock also does pay a real dividend which is taxable unless held in a tax-free account like a Roth or an IRA. I actually hold my in an IRA so, yes, this real dividend is non taxable to me. And yes, stock held in an IRA is eligible for the on board credit.

SO the point is, if you do take a fair number of cruises within the carnival family (and you see from my signature I do) consider picking up 100 shares. It has done well of late (up 32% in the past 12 months), pays a 2% dividend and gives you a tax-free on board credit to boot.

Agree. Even without the many inducements you mention, I view the stock as a good investment in the leisure/travel industry particularly if you buy on dips. CCL and RCL are the leaders in the growing cruise industry. I've held both stocks over the years and profited. I prefer CCL because it is substantially less leveraged than RCL.

While I always print my docs you could easily show them on your phone or IPad if needed.

Not always.

When checking in at Vancouver last year there was a check point at the beginning. I can't recall if it was security or US Immigration, but do recall it was for both HAL and Princess.

The person in charge was asking to see boarding passes. A person in the Princess line didn't have one, and attempted to show it on an electronic device. No go.

If I ever knew what the resolution was, I have forgotten. But I know it was a problem.

While I always print my docs you could easily show them on your phone or IPad if needed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hard to believe but not all of us carry a smart phone or IPad. :o

I just bought a Surface Pro combo computer/tablet and this is the first tablet I have had. I can't decide if I even care about it. I only bought it as my old Acer I used for travel is so slow and out of date I needed a travel device and tablet alone did not suit me. I've yet to get 'hooked' on it. :D

Guess they need to get with the program. You can even check in for flights with your phone....

I heard a friend complain that she took a proof of purchase to the front desk on HAL ship to settle a dispute. The proof was the email you receive when you purchase online. The front desk was only interested in seeing a print out of an email and not the actual email.

It's an 'easy out' for them. It isn't like they don't all send and receive e-mails and use all the devices most people have. They were being arbitrary....... at best. IMO

Guess they need to get with the program. You can even check in for flights with your phone....

Not always. At our airport last February a young man tried to use his phone to show his boarding pass to get through security and was denied getting through. There wasn't any way the security person could mark his initials on the phone that all was okay.

I heard a friend complain that she took a proof of purchase to the front desk on HAL ship to settle a dispute. The proof was the email you receive when you purchase online. The front desk was only interested in seeing a print out of an email and not the actual email.

For everything we pre-purchase -- tours, alcohol, dinners, etc. -- I always take the printed the copies with me to the ship.

I even take extra copies of all the shipboard credits that we are due.

Anyone help me please?

We are just over three weeks to sailing and it says "Online documents not ready to print"

When are they likely to be ready?

Thanks.

Have you completed the on-line check-in screens?

Thanks for replying so quickly!

Yes all completed last week. We booked 10 days ago. Could that be why?

Unless there is some error with your screens (which doesn't make sense to me, since you can't move to the next screen when there is an error), or unless there is a deadline to have them completed, and you were past it, then I should think it would be possible to print them now.

If you can't find an error, and they still can't be printed, I would check with my TA to find out what's wrong.

Thanks for replying so quickly!

Yes all completed last week. We booked 10 days ago. Could that be why?

A call to HAL would likely sort things out- possibly something missing in online check-in or a problem on their end.

OP,

If you did your air through HAL you will want to print out the portion of the documents relating to the air, as there are instructions and a 24/7 emergency line if you experience problems enroute that may affect your ability to get to the ship for departure.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I strongly suggest that everyone print out the first page -- we have been asked to show them to get into the terminals at Ft Lauderdale, San Diego and Seattle a couple of times.

And Boston.

A call to HAL would likely sort things out- possibly something missing in online check-in or a problem on their end.

Unless there is some error with your screens (which doesn't make sense to me, since you can't move to the next screen when there is an error), or unless there is a deadline to have them completed, and you were past it, then I should think it would be possible to print them now.

"If you can't find an error, and they still can't be printed, I would check with my TA to find out what's wrong."

Thanks for help and advice. Called HAL Turns out payment has not come through to them from my TA so although it left my account 11 days ago I am not yet considered to have paid. Hopefully this will happen directly and I can print it off then. Many thanks again!

And Boston.

Interesting. All the many times I've sailed from Boston, we were never asked to show documents but for our passports and credit card. :)

I'm curious as I'll be sailing soon from Boston, at what point were you asked to show it? Entering the terminal or at actual check in?

Interesting. All the many times I've sailed from Boston, we were never asked to show documents but for our passports and credit card. :)

I'm curious as I'll be sailing soon from Boston, at what point were you asked to show it? Entering the terminal or at actual check in?

We had to show our boarding passes to enter the terminal on June 6th of this year to board the Veendam in Boston.

"If you can't find an error, and they still can't be printed, I would check with my TA to find out what's wrong."

Thanks for help and advice. Called HAL Turns out payment has not come through to them from my TA so although it left my account 11 days ago I am not yet considered to have paid. Hopefully this will happen directly and I can print it off then. Many thanks again!

I am NOT a TA but I can't see why HAL wouldn't have it by now unless the TA didn't send it. I think I would be emailing the TA and asking when they sent it and the proof or what is going on. To give them the benefit of the doubt you could tell them that HAL says they don't have it and you can't print your docs and to ask them to track the payment they sent to HAL.

Edited by kazu

I am NOT a TA but I can't see why HAL wouldn't have it by now unless the TA didn't send it. I think I would be emailing the TA and asking when they sent it and the proof or what is going on. To give them the benefit of the doubt you could tell them that HAL says they don't have it and you can't print your docs and to ask them to track the payment they sent to HAL.

I agree.