Printing onboard

Wayfairers

If all else fails you could get some A4 size paper and just adjust your printer, have you asked around in your hometown, banks, business offices etc? I'm just trying to think outside the box (schools, community colleges, law offices)

I had to google A-4 paper to see what it is. I think the ships have the standard letter and legal size.

now you have me thinking about my train tickets.

If the train is adamant about the size, could you not trim some legal size paper to the measurement and then print it? Just a thought.

( I found this - " A4 paper, for example, is about 21 cm by 29.7 cm (about 8.27 inches by 11.75 inches")

I doubt it can be found in the U.S. or Canada easily.

Paper in A4 and other standard paper sizes can be readily be ordered from the obvious online sources, such as Staples and Amazon. In a pinch, US "Legal" size can be trimmed to A4 by the use of an ordinary paper cutter. And in many cases, US "Letter" size is actually acceptable, even when the international standard A4 size is specified.

I can get A4 at my local (US) Staples store, and B3 as well. Since A4 is probably the most common standard paper size in the world, HAL ships may very well stock it.

I looked at staples.com and came up with 12.89 a ream with free shipping to your local store. I expect you would not have a problem with 8 1/2 X 11 paper, I did not on Thalys, but to be sure it should not be too difficult to get it.

Roy

And in many cases, US "Letter" size is actually acceptable, even when the international standard A4 size is specified.

If the ticket is for SNCF, I don't think the agent will actually measure the paper; they will merely scan the bar code, and US Letter size paper won't cause any problems.

My DH used to do some printing in Explorations Café using ship's printer and paper and we only saw the usual letter size (8.5 x 11"). I agree with the others...... trim a sheet of legal size paper.

SNCF, Trenitalia and Thalys are the train companies. They all say to print on A4 paper without resizing the document (all have the new barcode and I would imagine resizing messed that up). Thalys says they will not accept the ticket on any other paper or if it looks like the paper is modified.

I used to use A4 at work when dealing with Europeans and just assumed UPS and FedEx stores would have the ability to print on A4 but they don't. Also called somewhere where I used to work and they no longer use A4. I could order the paper but it won't fit in my printer.

HAL ships probably will have A4 or legal-sized paper but you may need to ask at the front desk then ask to have the Explorer's printer loaded with the paper. Printing is usually a small fee per page. Have used legal size instead of A4 without any problems in similar situation.

If you only need a few sheets of A4 paper, you can go to the printing counter at Office Max or Staples and ask if they have any there. They can sell you the paper even when they aren't printing anything for you.

I think most printers should be able to handle A4 paper. You just need to let the printer know what kind of paper you're using when you print the document. A while back, I printed some DVD case labels, and the label paper was a different size than usual (A4, I think) because 8.5 x 11 isn't long enough to wrap around the case. My printer handled it with no problem, and it's a fairly old printer - maybe 8-10 years.

You should be able to find A4 paper at most office supply stores in the USA. You also have to adjust the printer driver settings, otherwise the printer is just going to print letter sized on the A4 paper. There's so little size difference between the A4 and letter sizes that it would be highly unlikely that the barcode size would throw off the scanner. Odds are that the document is going to be a PDF, and they can scale to fit the page.

The paper tray in my printer is not adjustable. Got my solution though...a friend has a way to print on A4 paper at work and is printing the docs for me.

Still amazed this has been such an issue. Every Office Max, Staples, Fed Ex, and UPS store I called in multiple cities did not offer an A4 printing option and did not have the paper on hand for me to buy. They all would have had to order a it for me.