Cuba RCCL Agreement ?

ssb

With Carnival announcing cruises with Cuba when will RCCL have agreement.

Probably reason RCCL retaining smaller ships out of Port Canaveral?

I hope they announce soon. If not, I plan on booking Carnival (gasp!) to go to Cuba before it's ruined by tourists.

What Carnival is setting up right now isn't "normal" cruises. Very expensive and they are required to do "humanitarian" and "people to people" things. Not just a go there and lay on the beach cruise at this point.

First reports say the ship must stay there 7-8 days and it holds 700 passengers. Freedom or Oasis it will not be..... :)

Edited by bouhunter

I hope they announce soon. If not, I plan on booking Carnival (gasp!) to go to Cuba before it's ruined by tourists.

Tourism will "ruin" it more than 50 years of brutal dictatorship?:rolleyes:

Edited by bouhunter

What Carnival is setting up right now isn't "normal" cruises. Very expensive and they are required to do "humanitarian" and "people to people" things. Not just a go there and lay on the beach cruise at this point.

Right! I heard that they price is $3000 pp!!! :eek:

With Carnival announcing cruises with Cuba when will RCCL have agreement.

Probably reason RCCL retaining smaller ships out of Port Canaveral?

I doubt that you'll see Cuba a a stop from Port Canaveral on the short cruises. Out of Miami yes but out of port Canaveral it's a bit far.

It's not Carnival Cruise Line. It's on their subsidiary line, Fathom. The ship is currently a P&O ship (Adonia).

I read online today not to expect any mainline cruises to Cuba any time soon. The Carnival ship is one of it's subsidiaries and its only going to Cuba. The article said you wont see this on your typical mainline Caribbean cruise because even if they get the approval the ship will only be allowed to go from the US to Cuba and make no other stops at any other countries.

Edited by tampacruiser

First reports say the ship must stay there 7-8 days and it holds 700 passengers. Freedom or Oasis it will not be..... :)

As per the Treasury Dept website, to qualify for the humanitarian or cultural exchange license, "free time and recreation must be limited to that consistent with a full time operation in Cuba." Carnival's rep in news reports today stated that passengers will have to do 8 hours per day of "work". Frankly, since the exemptions have been in place since 2011, I see the creation of Fathom, and the cruises to the DR as merely mechanisms to get a cruise ship to Cuba. Fathom is not really interested in social impact, it is interested in Cuba.

General tourism-related travel to Cuba is still not permitted. American travel must fall into one of 12 categories:

1. family visits
  2. official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments, and certain intergovernmental organizations
  3. journalistic activity
  4. professional research and professional meetings;
  5. educational activities
  6. religious activities
  7. public performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions, and exhibitions
  8. support for the Cuban people
  9. humanitarian projects (Related to bouhunter's post above)
  10. activities of private foundations or research or educational institutes
  11. exportation, importation, or transmission of information or information materials
  12. certain export transactions that may be considered for authorization under existing regulations and guidelines

Source: whitehouse.gov

Interesting article in USA Today about JetBlue's "expansion" into Cuba: http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayinthesky/2015/07/03/jetblue-flights-havana-cuba/29625009/

As per the Treasury Dept website, to qualify for the humanitarian or cultural exchange license, "free time and recreation must be limited to that consistent with a full time operation in Cuba." Carnival's rep in news reports today stated that passengers will have to do 8 hours per day of "work". Frankly, since the exemptions have been in place since 2011, I see the creation of Fathom, and the cruises to the DR as merely mechanisms to get a cruise ship to Cuba. Fathom is not really interested in social impact, it is interested in Cuba.

I agree - very clever way of getting their foot in the door.

As opposed to the over 3 million tourists Cuba receives each year? The number one visited island in the Caribbean? Somehow the tourists have managed to not ruin it yet....

MSC, another good sized cruise line, is planning to home port MSC Opera out of Havana starting Dec 22, 2015 - with no US ports in the cruise (Cuba, Jamaica. Caymans and Cozumel), so no worries about trying to circumvent or whitewash the US embargo.... Looks like they'll have the lock on first mainstresm full size cruise Liners out of Cuba....woukd much rather cruise them than fathom/Carnival....

Edited by reedprincess

Cuba is already a very popular tourist destination with Europeans and has been for many years, especially with us British and Germans.

But do they have a Diamonds International, Del Sol, or Cariloha yet? That's when it'll be a true Caribbean destination. ;)

Wonder when RCCL will send a ship to Cuba? The Majesty of the seas would make a good fit to cruise to Cuba it would fit well into the country. But they screwed up by putting her in PC.

Probably when they see a demand from their core customers. The country has been closed to US visitors for 55+ years. The last thing I need to see is a run down Communist island.

Probably when they see a demand from their core customers. The country has been closed to US visitors for 55+ years. The last thing I need to see is a run down Communist island.

Well we see run down islands plus RCCL goes to Russia and China. So what the difference.