Port Canaveral .. Majesty?? RC Handing PC Over To Carnival

Cuba is at least 2 years away.I don't understand why people are ripping royal .They might not have the ship you want but they doubled there present s there. People in the Charleston area would love to have majesty thier

Cuba is at least 2 years away.I don't understand why people are ripping royal .They might not have the ship you want but they doubled there present s there. People in the Charleston area would love to have majesty thier

I agree, that Cuba as a port stop in not around the corner. You are also correct that there are plenty of port cities that would love to have ANY cruise ship there to sail on, without flying to get on one.

Can't please everyone, and most people just want to complain, anyway.

Lets give the Majesty to Charleston. That is best idea I heard yet. That would leave PC with 1 ship. and I live 15min away from PC . leave more room for another cruise line to come in and set up shop.

Lets give the Majesty to Charleston. That is best idea I heard yet. That would leave PC with 1 ship. and I live 15min away from PC . leave more room for another cruise line to come in and set up shop.

Be careful what you wish for. Mobile was excited to get a bigger ship when the old Holiday retired. They got one for a month or do, then Carnival abandoned them. Now they've got zilch.

Now I'm not saying that PC would ever be shipless, but even old options are nice to have close by. Grin and bear it for a couple of years, MJ will eventually retire for good. The major lines don't keep their old tonnage for more than 20-25 years.

Be careful what you wish for. Mobile was excited to get a bigger ship when the old Holiday retired. They got one for a month or do, then Carnival abandoned them. Now they've got zilch.

Now I'm not saying that PC would ever be shipless, but even old options are nice to have close by. Grin and bear it for a couple of years, MJ will eventually retire for good. The major lines don't keep their old tonnage for more than 20-25 years.

I loved sailing out of Mobile even if it was on Holiday. That was my first cruise so I was pretty impressed. I cant believe that port sits empty now. Such a great place to cruise out of IMHO. I sure wish RC would put a ship there even if only part time. I do realize they only have so many ships though.

I believe Elation is the ship that replaced Holiday in Mobile but as you said, it didnt last long.

Edited by ryano

That may be so but don't forget that revenue by itself cannot be used to determine which is the more profitable ship. True, but then the question that was being answered related specifically to booking revenueI'm fairly certain that each ship has different cost structures. Also true, but logic says that the older the ship the more costly it is to maintainIt's quite conceivable that the Majesty could provide more bottom line revenue to Royal. Probably also true. Once you pack 300+ more drinkers onboard a party ship, the onboard revenue could be a significant contributor to the bottom lineI would think that the depreciation costs for the Majesty would be significantly lower than those of the Enchantment.Probably not as much as you'd think. EN is only four years younger than MJ, and they are both 2/3+ of the way through their depreciable life. I presume RCL uses MACRS as its depreciation model, which would frontload most of the depreciable value. By the time an asset reaches its later useful life, it's pretty close to fully depreciated.

Comments are strictly my opinion - YMMV

I miss Monarch. I'll miss Enchantment. That being said, I'm looking forward to many fun cruises on Majesty. I'll go on whatever they put in PC to be honest. Tampa too, I'd love to see a permanent 4/5 ship there.
:) Hi Grady I just read on Yahoo that we are getting the Rhapsody of the Seas here in Tampa.

:) Hi Grady I just read on Yahoo that we are getting the Rhapsody of the Seas here in Tampa.

Yes indeed. I hope to cruise on her at some point, but we always end up gravitating toward the Brilliance. The Radiance Class ship are my favorite.

Funny, Port Canaveral is our favorite port to cruise from. Reasonable hotel rates in the port area, several rental car agencies with free shuttles to the port, several shared shuttle companies to choose from, decent restaurants on the channel and in the Cocoa Beach area, much less traffic than the Ft. Lauderdale area.

I have to agree with Diamond on this question. Fort Lauderdale has the best arrangement of an airport and cruise terminal on the planet. How can you beat seeing your airplane from the balcony of the ship? It's a 5 min cab ride in traffic for about $10. Fort Lauderdale has plenty of hotels an restaurants for of tastes and budgets. Most of us fly in for a cruise and although FLL isn't my favorite airport it is very convientent. I really don't want to wait for a shuttle or rent a car for an hour trip to Orlando. I think RCCL made an excelent choice in selecting Port Everglades as their main Florida port.

I would much rather RCI put their newer/bigger/betters ships in South Florida and NJ/NY. Port Canaveral is not an attract port to sail from, from a flyer's perspective. Almost an hour drive to the port from MCO, with MCO being a much busier airport. Last time I sailed out of there, the port was congested and it wasn't an attractive sailaway. JMHO!

On a side note, I can't believe how much people get away with in the RCI board. It's so much stricter in the NCL board. Some comments are leaning more towards the rude side in this thread and I'm quite surprised they haven't been deleted.

That would be another great place for MJ Mobile you can have it too.

On a side note, I can't believe how much people get away with in the RCI board. It's so much stricter in the NCL board. Some comments are leaning more towards the rude side in this thread and I'm quite surprised they haven't been deleted.

You must not spend too much time on the Carnival boards if you think this is bad. :eek:

I would much rather RCI put their newer/bigger/betters ships in South Florida and NJ/NY. Port Canaveral is not an attract port to sail from, from a flyer's perspective. Almost an hour drive to the port from MCO, with MCO being a much busier airport. Last time I sailed out of there, the port was congested and it wasn't an attractive sailaway. JMHO!

They are working on improving all of this with trains to the coast, etc.

I know a lot of people who prefer to fly to Orlando to cruise out of PC. You can always tack on a day or two at Disney World. Personally, I would rather deal with Orlando International than Miami International, simply because the volume of passengers is less at MCO. Plus, staying at the Orlando Airport Hyatt is far easier than an airport hotel at MIA. You don't have to find a shuttle bus, since the MCO Hyatt is connected to the terminal, and you can then take the RC motor coach in the morning.
Some folks need to be sure of their facts before typing....:eek:

Hey .. we all have our "thing" right ?

For some people on here its obsessing over which Cruise Director is where .. for others its gagging everyone with their "status" .. for others its escargot .. for some of us, well, we like when our favorite port is shown some love by the line ... and schlepping Majesty -the ship they were -about to dispose of- up to Port Canaveral is like RC goin "Up Yours, Canaveral".

If PC loses ships, so be it, I won't skip a beat with sailing RC ships out of Fort Lauderdale, Miami, etc. etc. etc.....:D

I have to agree with Diamond on this question. Fort Lauderdale has the best arrangement of an airport and cruise terminal on the planet. How can you beat seeing your airplane from the balcony of the ship? It's a 5 min cab ride in traffic for about $10. Fort Lauderdale has plenty of hotels an restaurants for of tastes and budgets. Most of us fly in for a cruise and although FLL isn't my favorite airport it is very convientent. I really don't want to wait for a shuttle or rent a car for an hour trip to Orlando. I think RCCL made an excelent choice in selecting Port Everglades as their main Florida port.

We waited 4+ hours to get our bags last year on our way to our princess cruise due to thunderstorms that shut the airport baggage systems down. Had we flown in the day of the cruise, we would have missed the ship.

I was not impressed with port Everglades terminals, granted, I was at Princess not RCCL, but the entire experience was a huge let down compared to Miami.

I don't know about the "certain color object" but you two are cracking me up, :D

They have been speaking in their own code language for pages now! :eek: Vat iz diss meaning ??!!

We waited 4+ hours to get our bags last year on our way to our princess cruise due to thunderstorms that shut the airport baggage systems down. Had we flown in the day of the cruise, we would have missed the ship.

I was not impressed with port Everglades terminals, granted, I was at Princess not RCCL, but the entire experience was a huge let down compared to Miami.

The Princess terminal is a bottleneck dump, at least compared to the O/A terminal.

I do not understand this issue. First everyone talked about the great upgrade for PC with the Oasis. Now they give the port a second year round ship. Still positive and I do not care if this is the oldest or the second or third oldest ship.

Carnival deployed their ugly Carnival Sunshine and the also ugly looking Fantasy Class to PC instead of Carnival Dream before. Next year the Breeze comes but the ugly once stay as well.