MTD- sharing a table

My last two LONG cruises (14-19 nights) have been on NCL and we really enjoyed the option of sharing a table. We meet so many fascinating people that way. We have a TA on RCL and signed up for MTD but then wondered if it was possible to ask for this option of sharing a table.

We were on a 16 night TA on RCL a few years ago with early dining and we lucked out with some very nice table mates but two couples almost never showed up so we were often a table of six. I think a table for ten is not very manageable.

My last two LONG cruises (14-19 nights) have been on NCL and we really enjoyed the option of sharing a table. We meet so many fascinating people that way. We have a TA on RCL and signed up for MTD but then wondered if it was possible to ask for this option of sharing a table.

We were on a 16 night TA on RCL a few years ago with early dining and we lucked out with some very nice table mates but two couples almost never showed up so we were often a table of six. I think a table for ten is not very manageable.

It's your option to ask to share a table, though you might have to wait a bit longer that way.

Even if you get a table for 2 the other tables are quite close and we have had some great conversations with those sitting there.Often its the same people there each night.

We like a table for 2 as we can eat at our own pace...not wait for others and would not do anything else.

We have taken MTD on our last 8 cruises, and we love it. We went through the "table for two" thing but as stated, many of the tables are THISCLOSE to one another it is just awkward, IMO. We decided to share a table with others and that's the ticket! Seated right away with no waiting, ever. There are always larger tables waiting to be filled, whereas the 2-tops can be a wait because, obviously, people have to finish up first.

In MTD when you share a table, you may be at a table for 6 or a table for 10! We have absolutely had both and have enjoyed both! People are so interesting.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

Instead of MTD, do one of the traditional seatings....and ask for a larger table. Most MTDers will NOT want to eat with you...they're a solitary bunch!

I don't know if 'most MTDers' will not want to eat with others, since I have never done MTD....but we don't like to eat at a table for two, we can do that any night at home. So I send an email to rcldining@rccl.com about 6 weeks before cruise date, asking to be seated at a larger table of 6-10 for Early Traditional Dining.

I provide them with our reservation number. It has always been accommodated.

Instead of MTD, do one of the traditional seatings....and ask for a larger table. Most MTDers will NOT want to eat with you...they're a solitary bunch!

Since you've never done it, how would you know that? They may just not want to be tied to a certain time.

Maybe it depends on the ship, or the host/ess? Our first time trying MTD was last fall on the Liberty. We requested to sit with others every single night and the hostess always said "I'm afraid I can't accommodate that tonight..." and we were always seated at the same table for 2 (which I also didn't love because the waitstaff weren't great).

I guess the trick to being able to dine with others is that there has to be "others" to dine with. I assume that a previous poster is correct when he theorizes that many MTD diners choose it specifically so they won't have to share.

I don't know if it is necessarily true that most MTDers are "a solitary bunch" or don't want to sit with others. I can say that is definitely not the case for my mom and me. On our next cruise, we had no option but MTD (even though we booked the cruise over a year out). Yes, I suppose we could have asked to be waitlisted for one of the regular seatings, but it's not a huge deal for us. We figure some nights we will end up just the two of us and others we will be in a group. Heck, our roll call is so active, I suspect on more than a few nights we will decide to dine with folks from that group.

So, I have to disagree.... not all (or probably even "most") people with MTD are not social or want to eat by themselves. I think a better adjective to use would be "some" of the people and then, only "some" of the time.

Melissa

Edited by kirian

On our last cruise, we either asked to be seated at a larger table or told them we had no preference. We only were seated with others on two nights. The rest of the time they gave us a table for two. Sitting with others is a great way to learn more about them , where they live and their cruise experiences.

We've always loved family style seating, however I deplore the rigid two time slot system of the cruise ship dining experience, it just enhances the feeling of being herded about like cattle.

You just stop it. You consistently make this statement and it is UNTRUE. I'm beginning to think you like getting people all riled up with your false advice. It's just very sad to me that you would do this and think your comments are fact when, in fact, they absolutely are not.

Even if you get a table for 2 the other tables are quite close and we have had some great conversations with those sitting there.Often its the same people there each night.

We like a table for 2 as we can eat at our own pace...not wait for others and would not do anything else.

You nailed all the reasons why we like the 2 tables next to each other. We can chat if we want to and start/finish at our pace. :)

You nailed all the reasons why we like the 2 tables next to each other. We can chat if we want to and start/finish at our pace. :)

We had a table for two, once. Yes, they were very close together, but it was awkward to be trying to talk with other people who were AT ANOTHER TABLE.

At least when sitting at the same table, people introduce each other and open up conversations 'across the table'.

We had a table for two, once. Yes, they were very close together, but it was awkward to be trying to talk with other people who were AT ANOTHER TABLE.

At least when sitting at the same table, people introduce each other and open up conversations 'across the table'.

Surprisingly enough they do that in the multiple 2 table environment too. On our Rhapsody cruise to Hawaii last fall we had three couples sitting at the tables around us and we got to know all of them, even the couple from Brazil where the husband knew limited English. By the end of the cruise we all had migrated closer to the same start time so we could enjoy the company more. :)

We moved away from standard dining with larger tables as the last two times the people just didn't click so what little conversation there was seemed forced. With MTD and a group of 2 tables it give the flexibility of a combination that works. I know it is not for everyone but it works for us, :)

We chose MTD a couple of times because we prefer to eat at 7 -7:30. Even at traditional dining we have been at tables for 4-8 where no one shows up.

We do enjoy visiting with other people but it is very odd to be at a large table when no one else is there.

Surprisingly enough they do that in the multiple 2 table environment too. On our Rhapsody cruise to Hawaii last fall we had three couples sitting at the tables around us and we got to know all of them, even the couple from Brazil where the husband knew limited English. By the end of the cruise we all had migrated closer to the same start time so we could enjoy the company more. :)

We moved away from standard dining with larger tables as the last two times the people just didn't click so what little conversation there was seemed forced. With MTD and a group of 2 tables it give the flexibility of a combination that works. I know it is not for everyone but it works for us, :)

On our last few cruises, since we have been active in our Roll Call we found other people who wanted to sit with us....and I sent an email to a contact that I have in the dining and beverage department of Royal corp offices and gave them all of our reservation numbers and viola we were all sitting at the same table.

If people get to know others who are sailing on the same ship, but their reservations are not linked to each other....just send an email to rcldining@rccl.com. This department will work hard to get it worked out. Don't wait until right before the sailing....3-4 weeks prior, would make sense.

Two of my Oasis cruises were with my live-in family - DD, DSIL & DGS. We are accustomed to eating dinner together at home, when everyone congregates after work, school, etc. On the cruises, we often went our separate ways during the day, and really enjoyed catching up at dinner time. We have enough fun in our own company that we really didn't want to share that time with other passengers.

I took my other Oasis cruise with my younger daughter. We don't live together, so we really enjoyed being together most of the time on the cruise. The first night we got seated at a table for 10, in order to get our favorite waitress and not have to wait a long time. We were only able to converse with one couple seated next to my daughter. Everyone else was too far away, or there was too much noise, or the other folks seemed focused on the ones they came with.

After that a couple that we met at our Meet & Mingle wanted to sit with us, and we did that twice. However, we really preferred having just the two of us. I'm not a big fan of "cocktail party small talk", and I didn't really cruise in order to meet other people. I'm not snooty or cold. I just choose to enjoy my vacation with the family I travel with - a rare occurrence in our busy lives.

Love your screen name my husband and I are mark and Donna. [emoji16]