Upgrade with 4 people in cabin

PurpleRose23

I've love hearing when folks get upgraded to a better cabin than they originally booked. From the posts I've seen here on Princess board, it seems like most upgrades that have been reported happened with 2 people in the cabin. I understand that the number of cabins that can fit 4 are limited on most ships, therefore the odds of being upgraded with 4 people in a cabin are even lower.

Has anyone ever been upgraded (or offered an upsell) with 4 people in a cabin? Just curious. Thanks in advance!

Our family booked 2 cabins...2 people per room. We were upgraded from two outsides to one mini suite which was fabulous, and got nice OBC for the "inconvenience". Never happened again :(. Apparently they needed one of both of those rooms...perhaps they were quads.

Our family booked 2 cabins...2 people per room. We were upgraded from two outsides to one mini suite which was fabulous, and got nice OBC for the "inconvenience". Never happened again :(. Apparently they needed one of both of those rooms...perhaps they were quads.

The OP was asking about an upgrade with four people in one cabin...

On HAL we took an upsell from a low category quad balcony to a Neptune Suite.

On Carnival met a family onboard who took an upsell to a suite from two OV cabins.

It can happen but don't count on it.

These days we sail in triples. On the Golden we've been upgraded several times.

I think the OP is asking about UPGRADES (better cabin at no cost to pax), not an UP-SELL (pax pays additional $$ for better cabin).

Has anyone ever been upgraded (or offered an upsell) with 4 people in a cabin? Just curious. Thanks in advance!

They were asking about both.

Last November, three of us were assigned an inside quad cabin on the Island Princess. About a week before the cruise, we got a free upgrade to an obstructed view, wheelchair accessible, quad cabin. It could happen for you. Believe me, the extra room was great.

I don't normally book a guarantee cabin, preferring to book an aft interior room. I have the TA mark our booking "Meta Upgrade Only". Then I don't have to worry about being moved to a different inside room, only a full category upgrade.

Last March, Princess again wanted my aft interior cabin, or maybe they just wanted to sell the balconies. Regardless, we were offered a $99.00 upgrade to a balcony and we took it. That one was a double occupancy cabin though.

Thanks for your responses everyone. Yes, I am interested in upgrades and upsells. I guess the odds of getting either of these with 4 people in a cabin are astronomical.

I hadn't thought about having two cabins and being offered an upgrade to another level. Maybe an upgrade strategy for a family of 4 is to book 2 cabins (that can support 4 people) with 2 people in each cabin on a popular cruise that has high odds of selling out. The only problem is that is a more expensive option. If an upgrade doesn't come through, you are paying a LOT more for 4 people in the two cabins. I guess if you are willing to GAMBLE, it is all good.

I don't normally book a guarantee cabin, preferring to book an aft interior room. I have the TA mark our booking "Meta Upgrade Only". Then I don't have to worry about being moved to a different inside room, only a full category upgrade.

We have an upcoming holiday cruise on the Grand Princess where we booked E729 (the aft mini-suite with bigger balcony). We marked the booking "Meta Upgrade Only". Our thought is if we don't get an upgrade, we are happy with the cabin we booked. If we somehow got a suite that can support all 4 in our family, we would be HAPPY. I think we have a better shot at winning the lottery than that happening.

Edited by PurpleRose23

We have an upcoming holiday cruise on the Grand Princess where we booked E729 (the aft mini-suite with bigger balcony). We marked the booking "Meta Upgrade Only". Our thought is if we don't get an upgrade, we are happy with the cabin we booked. If we somehow got a suite that can support all 4 in our family, we would be HAPPY. I think we have a better shot at winning the lottery than that happening.

That's my favorite mini. It's a longer balcony and you can also see the ship's wake. I don't think there are more than two chairs on the balcony, though.

Thanks for your responses everyone. Yes, I am interested in upgrades and upsells. I guess the odds of getting either of these with 4 people in a cabin are astronomical.

I hadn't thought about having two cabins and being offered an upgrade to another level. Maybe an upgrade strategy for a family of 4 is to book 2 cabins (that can support 4 people) with 2 people in each cabin on a popular cruise that has high odds of selling out. The only problem is that is a more expensive option. If an upgrade doesn't come through, you are paying a LOT more for 4 people in the two cabins. I guess if you are willing to GAMBLE, it is all good.

We had booked 2 people in 2 cabins twice for the simple reason that is was cheaper at the time...go figure. Both bookings, the 3rd and 4th passenger rate was actually higher so we took 2 rooms for the 4 of us. They apparently needed the rooms so offered us one mini suite as an upgrade.

As for upgrading the 4 in a room...you just never know.

• 3 months later...

We are sailing this Saturday, the 17th. Got a call Monday with an upsell from a balcony cabin to a grand suite. Looking forward to a nice big room, bathroom with double sinks and a sink in the dressing room! This is my 3rd Carnival cruise, last one was 20 years ago and sailed an Alaskan cruise 5 years ago on Holland.

We are sailing this Saturday, the 17th. Got a call Monday with an upsell from a balcony cabin to a grand suite. Looking forward to a nice big room, bathroom with double sinks and a sink in the dressing room! This is my 3rd Carnival cruise, last one was 20 years ago and sailed an Alaskan cruise 5 years ago on Holland.

Congrats and enjoy! By the way its Princess not Carnival. :eek:

We are sailing Carnival, I was just responding in general to the upgrade/upsell question. I didn't realize it was only for Princess cruises.

You posted on the Princess forum.

Therefore it is presumed you are talking about a Grand Suite on Princess.

No that you have made the correction I understand.

We are sailing Carnival, I was just responding in general to the upgrade/upsell question. I didn't realize it was only for Princess cruises.

Since your experience relates to the topic, it was proper to post it here.

Thanks for doing so.

I have seen a post where a family with multiple rooms was upgraded to a family suite, so it is possible!

Yes, but some people might not consider that an upgrade. Maybe they wanted and booked separate cabins for personal space and privacy for some parts of the day.

Yes, but some people might not consider that an upgrade. Maybe they wanted and booked separate cabins for personal space and privacy for some parts of the day.

The family suite is really a mini-suite (or balcony cabin) connected to an inside cabin that also has an entrance from the hallway.

Thus you really have two separate (connected) cabins with all the benefits of a full suite.

• 2 months later...

I keep seeing posters write about clicking on a "do not upgrade" box. We booked our cruise on the Ruby Princess for Feb 29 one week ago directly on the Princess website. On the cruise personalizer, there is no option to choose eligibility for an upgrade - am I just not seeing it? We booked the least expensive option as it was such a good deal (IF) - I am Platinum and my wife is on her second Princess cruise. We asked the site to find the best suite in the category and were assigned E104. I doubt we will be upgraded but I just want to make sure that we are making it known to Princess that we are completely open to an upgrade :)

First time posting - thanks in advance for the info

I keep seeing posters write about clicking on a "do not upgrade" box. We booked our cruise on the Ruby Princess for Feb 29 one week ago directly on the Princess website. On the cruise personalizer, there is no option to choose eligibility for an upgrade - am I just not seeing it? We booked the least expensive option as it was such a good deal (IF) - I am Platinum and my wife is on her second Princess cruise. We asked the site to find the best suite in the category and were assigned E104. I doubt we will be upgraded but I just want to make sure that we are making it known to Princess that we are completely open to an upgrade :)

First time posting - thanks in advance for the info

If you don't do anything on your reservation concerning upgrades, then you will be able to get an upgrade offer should the Princess computer choose you.

The "do not upgrade" is not a check mark or click. It is a matter of calling Princess or your TA and having them add that notation to your reservation. People use it when they have picked a particular cabin for whatever reason and do not want to be moved.

Also, there are some things that are called "upgrades" by Princess that some people may not consider an upgrade. For instance, on some ships there are aft cabins with large balconies that have a problem with soot from the smokestack. Many people would prefer to keep a smaller balcony on the side of the ship and avoid the soot.

Note that a "do not upgrade" notation does not eliminate you from an upsell offer. In that case you are contacted concerning going to a nicer cabin (usually a different type) for a fee and you are able to discuss which cabin you would be moving to. You can accept the offer and pay for it or reject it and stay where you are based on what you are being told on the phone.

My point is that upsell is not the same as upgrade.