Celebrity Cruise Line Complaints

Travel Hunter

Interesting.....I am on a "Wait List" for the 8:30. I'll take yours! I was told to call back two months out (from April sailing) when people cancel. :mad:

I'm currently on the 8:30 waitlist for the 11/29 Eclipse sailing out of Miami, waiting to get on the 6:00 waitlist (and our 1st dining choice would be on the same cruise). So you're offering to trade me 8:30 for 8:30, and most likely on a different cruise...yikes...think I'll take a pass on that offer.

Don't even know why you have to wait to get on a wait list...seems kind of silly; just add people to the waitlist they request and the list gets longer.

FYI: we've cancelled our original reservation with Celebrity, rebooked with a travel agent...so far things working out much better.

It's not only Celebrity.

We were recently looking at some Holland America closeout prices and they were offering deep price drops in some categories for new last minute bookings too.

For those who booked earlier, sometimes it pays to cancel and re-book, while other times it doesn't, depending on how big a penalty hit you would take.

On Celebrity, for some categories it can be worth paying more to upgrade without canceling after final payment.

And sometimes it pays to go with another cruise line or another form of vacation. After Celebrity gave us, Elite Plus, the shaft we booked a land vacation and a subsequent cruise on another line. We will only book a bargain basement Caribbean cruise with Celebrity from now on.

It's amazing how entitled people sometimes feel. Yes, it's upsetting when prices change and we can't take advantage. There are really very few times we can't do something to upgrade our experience.

Exciting deals are off limits but as Cathy said, many times the prices remain low afterwards and we are able to upgrade. It just depends how far you are willing to go. Maybe there is a suite available for more than you paid. Those are the rules and we all have to live by them regardless of our loyalty status.

If it makes you feel better, I'm Zenith and have never been given a free upgrade and I don't expect one. I have upgraded to a higher priced category on a number of occasions, but always for more than what I originally paid. Even then, there are times when it's just not possible. We all have to make our choices based on what's important to us. If you're willing to play the game you can book late and give it a try, if not you always have to be comfortable with the rate and cabin category you originally book.

Edited by Ma Bell

It's amazing how entitled people sometimes feel. Yes, it's upsetting when prices change and we can't take advantage. There are really very few times we can't do something to upgrade our experience.

Exciting deals are off limits but as Cathy said, many times the prices remain low afterwards and we are able to upgrade. It just depends how far you are willing to go. Maybe there is a suite available for more than you paid. Those are the rules and we all have to live by them regardless of our loyalty status.

If it makes you feel better, I'm Zenith and have never been given a free upgrade and I don't expect one. I have upgraded to a higher priced category on a number of occasions, but always for more than what I originally paid. Even then, there are times when it's just not possible. We all have to make our choices based on what's important to us. If you're willing to play the game you can book late and give it a try, if not you always have to be comfortable with the rate and cabin category you originally book.

I've got to know. How did you get to Zenith? I know, you're 98 years old and go on 45 day cruises every 90 days since you were 19.

Actually I'm 71 and went on my first cruise in 1974. Our first Celebrity cruise was in 1994 and most of our cruises have been longer ones. We were usually in Concierge cabins or above but many of the cruises were before any extra points for length or cabin category were taken into consideration. We used to love the FV cabins too.

We were close to the mark when they changed the point system. The answer is we have really been fortunate to have been on a lot of Celebrity cruises over an extended period of time. We are really loyal cruisers and just became Zenith on our last cruise.:)

Edited by Ma Bell

Actually I'm 71 and went on my first cruise in 1974. Our first Celebrity cruise was in 1994 and most of our cruises have been longer ones. We were usually in Concierge cabins or above but many of the cruises were before any extra points for length or cabin category were taken into consideration. We used to love the FV cabins too.

We were close to the mark when they changed the point system. The answer is we have really been fortunate to have been on a lot of Celebrity cruises over an extended period of time. We are really loyal cruisers and just became Zenith on our last cruise.:)

Congratulations on becoming Zenith! Look forward to meeting you on Infinity. Sadly for us, it won't be in Michael's Club. ;)

Congratulations on becoming Zenith! Look forward to meeting you on Infinity. Sadly for us, it won't be in Michael's Club. ;)

Thanks so much. It should be a really nice cruise and the first as Zenith. You know I'm traveling with my friend Karyn so my DH won't get to experience the first cruise as Zenith...but he doesn't mind at all. We aren't high maintenance but it will be interesting to see what it's all about.

Does anyone know why we can't upgrade before a cruise? I wanted to upgrade before final payment a few weeks ago. I was will to pay extra but she said I would lose my flight perks. I just wanted to upgrade the cabin. I was told to ask at the port when we check it. Anyone have any experience of this? Paying for a upgrade at embarkation.

Completely off topic, but congratulations on becoming Zenith,Ma Bell!! That's a lot of great vacations!!

Does anyone know why we can't upgrade before a cruise? I wanted to upgrade before final payment a few weeks ago. I was will to pay extra but she said I would lose my flight perks. I just wanted to upgrade the cabin. I was told to ask at the port when we check it. Anyone have any experience of this? Paying for a upgrade at embarkation.

I've just been in touch with my TA about a downgrade. I had a Sky Suite booked but I felt that an FV would be adequate. I was told that I would lose my 123Go perks. The Classic drinks package and $300 OBC are included with the FV but only for new bookings. The downgrade would not be classed as a new booking. I would lose more than it's worth to alter it even though I reckon X will have no problem re-selling the suite - there's currently only one available on that particular sailing and it's a CS.

I'd lose my deposit of €330 should I cancel and rebook! Unfortunately that's the way it is for Ireland (and UK) bookings.

Thanks so much. It should be a really nice cruise and the first as Zenith. You know I'm traveling with my friend Karyn so my DH won't get to experience the first cruise as Zenith...but he doesn't mind at all. We aren't high maintenance but it will be interesting to see what it's all about.

And we'll celebrate onboard Infinity in Sept.!

Karyn

• 1 year later...

The Meet and Mingle gathering I attended aboard a Celebrity Ship was sad compared to the many I've attended with RCI. In May 2016, s I sailed aboard the Summit to Bermuda. The M&M had no activities, no giveaways other than an hour of internet time (which is rather useless), and didn't encourage interaction. Had I not been to M&Ms on other cruise lines I would not bother attending another. I am sailing aboard Solstice on June 2, 2017 to Alaska. Can the Cruise Director be advised that more should be done in order that M&Ms are considered events to look forward to? Need suggestions? Feel free to contact me.

The Meet and Mingle gathering I attended aboard a Celebrity Ship was sad compared to the many I've attended with RCI. In May 2016, s I sailed aboard the Summit to Bermuda. The M&M had no activities, no giveaways other than an hour of internet time (which is rather useless), and didn't encourage interaction. Had I not been to M&Ms on other cruise lines I would not bother attending another. I am sailing aboard Solstice on June 2, 2017 to Alaska. Can the Cruise Director be advised that more should be done in order that M&Ms are considered events to look forward to? Need suggestions? Feel free to contact me.

I realize this is a two year old thread but the above poster brings up a good point. One thing which would help with interaction is to give name tags out with our screen names on them. My last couple of cruises we were given tags with our names on them, nobody knows who anyone is. Just a simple thing to do.

Agree that M&M gatherings are basically worthless unless you have a problem needing an officer's help or need to meet a tour companion. RCI at least has give aways and door prizes. Never received any internet time. Not sure I'll attend in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm sorry, but I always thought that the purpose of the "Connections Party" was to meet your fellow CC'ers, who were onboard -- you know, those folks you've been chatting with on your roll-call thread? I think that it's great that X (a) provides a space and light refreshments for the party, and (b) has as many senior officers as possible, in attendance. I've never expected "giveaways", at those events. And yes, if it's important -- by all means, feel free to organize a gift exchange, yourself. It's fun to have folks (who wish to participate) bring a small, low-cost, item that's unique to their region. :cool:

Funny that the poster who raised this point compares X negatively with RC. Although I have not sailed RC in several years, one of the absolute worst meet-n-mingles was on my last RC roll call (Mariner of the Seas). It was a large r/c with great participation. We had well over 100 people registered for the M&M party, and had planned a gift exchange. The events coordinator onboard told us we had an hour for the party, on morning of the first sea day. Now, at that time, RC did not have ships' officers attend the CruiseCritic parties. Usually, it was just the loyalty ambassador, and maybe someone from the CD's staff. Well, on this particular cruise, the assistant CD came in, tossed out a couple of key-chains (those were your 'giveaways', in those days), and grabbed the microphone. He launched into what could only be called an 'infomercial' for the RC product. We all sat there, and politely listened -- waiting for him to finish, so we could move on to our gift exchange. At the end of his speal, he informed us that they had over-booked the lounge we were in, and the time allotted for our party had been cut to 30 minutes. That left us approximately 5 minutes for our party. The staff was already starting to set up for the next event (think it was Bingo).:mad:

So, when we made the move from RC to X, I was very impressed with the difference in quality of the M&M's. I've always felt that X values it's CruiseCritic passengers more than RC did. So, if I were to say something to the Solstice Cruise Director (or Hotel Director) about the Connections Party, it would be "Thank You!" :)

Well, I have a complain as well.

We recently had to cancel a cruise just some weeks before sailing due to an accident. When we canceled they offered us to rebook free of charge. As we couldn't oversee by that time when if at all we could travel later in the year we could not take the offer and had to pay 50% cancellation fee.

Some weeks later we got an ok from the doctors to travel later in the year. So we rebooked a cruise end of the year. We then tried to get in touch with Celebrity to kindly ask for some way of compensation / benefits as we already paid 50% ( and yes the cruise was fully booked once they sailed, so they did sell our cabin again)

Well there it started, first of all there is no email contact other then an internet form. So I tried twice to get in touch through this form. No reaction as all! I then called and was finally provided with an email to explain our case.

Reaction within some days: sorry, we can't do anything as you already booked through a travel agent (as the first cruise which we had to cancel) so I asked them what the difference is, as we did pay the cancellation fee to RCCL not to the travel agent and why we could have rebook for free in the first place but now they are not willing to give us any kind of substitute. I also asked what kind of compensation they would have offered us, if we would have booked through them.

Answer: sorry we can't do anything.

Especially knowing that they re-sold our stateroom (and prices short before cruise were much higher as at the time when we originally booked) I don't thing that this is a customer friendly response. We even may legally be eligible under our jurisdiction to get a refund of our cancellation fee, as they resold, which they should know. Do we really have to go the hard way for this? I actually don't want to do this, it's about vacation and I don't want to make a case out of that. We even did not ask for a refund, just some kind of acknowledgment, there a lot of things like upgrades etc which don't cost a lot for them if at all.

I virtually don't understand their customer-unfriendly position. Next year I will retire and have more time for cruises, looks like not with RCCL.

Just an update, today (1 day after my above post, just by circumstance?) we received an email that they will refund us for the cancelation fee, as our cabin was re-sold.

Well, that money goes to our insurance company, they will like it (and hopefully like more gain ;-) )

We are still unsatisfied based on their initial responses and based on the fact, that we first had to get serious before they offered a refund. (and as said before under our legislation, it is not optional for them to refund in case of reselling)

Fazit: we do love the service and quality on board of Celebrity ships, however customer service is very poor in regards to customer orientation.

I'm sorry, but I always thought that the purpose of the "Connections Party" was to meet your fellow CC'ers, who were onboard -- you know, those folks you've been chatting with on your roll-call thread? I think that it's great that X (a) provides a space and light refreshments for the party, and (b) has as many senior officers as possible, in attendance. I've never expected "giveaways", at those events. And yes, if it's important -- by all means, feel free to organize a gift exchange, yourself. It's fun to have folks (who wish to participate) bring a small, low-cost, item that's unique to their region. :cool:

Funny that the poster who raised this point compares X negatively with RC. Although I have not sailed RC in several years, one of the absolute worst meet-n-mingles was on my last RC roll call (Mariner of the Seas). It was a large r/c with great participation. We had well over 100 people registered for the M&M party, and had planned a gift exchange. The events coordinator onboard told us we had an hour for the party, on morning of the first sea day. Now, at that time, RC did not have ships' officers attend the CruiseCritic parties. Usually, it was just the loyalty ambassador, and maybe someone from the CD's staff. Well, on this particular cruise, the assistant CD came in, tossed out a couple of key-chains (those were your 'giveaways', in those days), and grabbed the microphone. He launched into what could only be called an 'infomercial' for the RC product. We all sat there, and politely listened -- waiting for him to finish, so we could move on to our gift exchange. At the end of his speal, he informed us that they had over-booked the lounge we were in, and the time allotted for our party had been cut to 30 minutes. That left us approximately 5 minutes for our party. The staff was already starting to set up for the next event (think it was Bingo).:mad:

So, when we made the move from RC to X, I was very impressed with the difference in quality of the M&M's. I've always felt that X values it's CruiseCritic passengers more than RC did. So, if I were to say something to the Solstice Cruise Director (or Hotel Director) about the Connections Party, it would be "Thank You!" :)

We had exactly the same on X last year: very short time slot in the Sky Lounge and then the Activities Staff started setting up for the next activity.

That was our experience on X--quick intros and then, oops, need to move along. At least there was 5 minutes of mic time to make tour group contact and meeting place(s) while set-ups for next event were already happening.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In my opinion, a generic complaint thread that is almost two years old is ridiculous - Cruisecritic should close it and let members voice more specific criticisms in separate threads if they wish to do so.

Constructive criticism is often quite appropriate since Celebrity does monitor this site. But I can never understand how members can rant about their cruise being ruined due to a major disappointment and then in the same post mention something about their next cruise on the same line. If you are that upset, then vote with your money and use a different cruise line!

I don't ever remember Celebrity doing anything, other than graciously supplying coffee and pastries. It's usually someone on your Roll Call that will organize a gift exchange or anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had Champaign and Mimosas last Oct/Nov on the Millennium.