Cruise etiquette

tulips*n*truffles

I so appreciate the responses here! I was sure I was just being "whiney" and was afraid to post for an hour before I did! I ran into a neighbor when we left for dinner, who said they had just come from guest services and was told the matter would be dealt with. Apparently the same group was a problem last night (our ship was docked in port in Venice last night), but I must not have heard them. It's quiet now as I type (catching up on some blogging!), but of course it's dinnertime and there's a comedian tonight. I'm hopeful it's over! Thank you all for understanding and the encouragement about what to do. I never ever want to be "that passenger" that complains about every little thing, but today this felt like a big one!

Aside from "rude family," I'm so excited about the next 12 days! I hadn't sailed Island pre-drydock, so I can't comment about the changes, but I really do like the ship. I don't love that the back is just a flat piece now compared to others we were docked with in Venice, but the interior is clean and fresh and the staff is possibly the most pleasant we've encountered. Tomorrow night, I'm treating my parents to Ultimate Balcony Dinner, a first for me and I love having that to look forward to on a sea day!

Thank you again...I'll swing back if they happen to start up again. Thankful now for nothing but the sound of the ocean and a few fishing boats in the distance. You're all great.

Natalie

True, but when you're on a cruise, why sit in your room all day?

I think we all have a different idea of what a vacation or cruise means. But I agree, I do not want to sit in my room. For me, I go for total relaxation. I want nothing more than to sit on my balcony and listen to the sound of the ship moving through the ocean, lol. It's peaceful and quiet. Usually.

I read your first post, got about half way through and then immediately thought to call the passenger services desk. I can't type what my true first thought was.. :eek:

Whenever there is outrageous behavior it needs to be brought to someone's attention.

What I was wondering was where was the steward for that area? I always see the stewards around. Wouldn't they report bad behavior as well? :confused:.

I am so glad that you now can enjoy the rest of your cruise. There's nothing like the sound of the ocean...enjoy! :)

As everyone else has said go to the front desk and ask them to review the CCTV footage taken from the discreet hallways cameras.

I'm ashamed to admit my teenage son was caught this way playing "knock down ginger" at 2 am. I had to appear before the Staff Captain the next day and warned that if my son misbehaved again we would thrown off the ship.

Needless to say his behaviour was exemplary from then on.

I think we all have a different idea of what a vacation or cruise means. But I agree, I do not want to sit in my room. For me, I go for total relaxation. I want nothing more than to sit on my balcony and listen to the sound of the ship moving through the ocean, lol. It's peaceful and quiet. Usually.

I agree we all have different ideas of relaxation. For me, the first few days of a cruise help me find a bit of peace and calm. I get a balcony when I cruise because I can be away from crowds and stare at water for hours on end; listen to the waves and the sea life. We spent about 10 days pre-cruise in Paris and London and Venice, so today I was sifting through some work email (hard for a business owner to "leave the work at home," especially when I'm gone for 5 weeks), and just wanted to do it whilst watching the world go by outside. I've been known to take my laptop to an area by a pool or something, but find I get so distracted it takes me 5x as long to finish what I need to than if I just sat and focused. Amen to peaceful and quiet! :-)

A neck high trip wire in their hallway should solve the problem!

Heh, I once stopped a kid about the third time he ran past our table in a restaurant. I told him if he ran past me one more time I was going to trip him. He went back to his table and his dad glared at me for a while but the kid quit running around the restaurant. Another nearby diner gave me a grin and a thumbs up. :)

I also knew a waitress who took a kid back to his table and very loudly announced to his parents that if they didn't control their child they would have to leave the restaurant. She got applause from essentially everybody in the place. (There were a lot of regulars in the place.)

Is there a way to get the other people around you that are going through the same issue to go to the front desk as well? If so they may take faster action than if it just one person reporting the problem.

There is a limit with the issues when you are more enclosed with other people and not thinking about the people around you. There is a time and place for everything. I hope you get it straightened out soon. Let us know.

I'm ashamed to admit my teenage son was caught this way playing "knock down ginger" at 2 am. I had to appear before the Staff Captain the next day and warned that if my son misbehaved again we would thrown off the ship.

Needless to say his behaviour was exemplary from then on.

Was Ginger aware of this?

At least it was down and not up.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I so appreciate the responses here! I was sure I was just being "whiney" and was afraid to post for an hour before I did! I ran into a neighbor when we left for dinner, who said they had just come from guest services and was told the matter would be dealt with. Apparently the same group was a problem last night (our ship was docked in port in Venice last night), but I must not have heard them. It's quiet now as I type (catching up on some blogging!), but of course it's dinnertime and there's a comedian tonight. I'm hopeful it's over! Thank you all for understanding and the encouragement about what to do. I never ever want to be "that passenger" that complains about every little thing, but today this felt like a big one!

Aside from "rude family," I'm so excited about the next 12 days! I hadn't sailed Island pre-drydock, so I can't comment about the changes, but I really do like the ship. I don't love that the back is just a flat piece now compared to others we were docked with in Venice, but the interior is clean and fresh and the staff is possibly the most pleasant we've encountered. Tomorrow night, I'm treating my parents to Ultimate Balcony Dinner, a first for me and I love having that to look forward to on a sea day!

Thank you again...I'll swing back if they happen to start up again. Thankful now for nothing but the sound of the ocean and a few fishing boats in the distance. You're all great.

Natalie

Glad to hear things are better.

Hope they stay that way

Have a great cruise

Natalie

Enjoy your cruise. Hopefully your UBD will be relaxing and quiet. :)

This may be a good time to quote the last paragraph of my cruise review from October 2014:

"In our 16 years of cruising, I’ve noticed that the percentage of our fellow passengers behaving in a somewhat rude, arrogant, “me first” manner has increased substantially. The majority of passengers we have met are wonderful people who it has been our privilege to know, and interact with. However, many more now seem to be from the “ME” generation who were never taught, or do not care to act courteously, with any consideration for others. We’re a small community on a big ocean folks, so let’s be kind to each other.

I sure hope everyone who takes a cruise, be it with Princess or another line, helps to helps to spread the message of courtesy and consideration for our fellow travellers.

Edited by Grimsby

The parents might not be in the same cabin. On our 2011 Baltic cruise, there were several sets of parents in the same extended family where the parents were in the suites aft and all the kids were in two balcony rooms next to us on the side.The kids ranged from 7 or 8 to teens. The rammed all the time, even in the restaurants the first 2 nights. Then they all missed the ship the third day ( we watched as the ship pulled away as they were arriving too late) and it was very quiet. They had to fly to the next port, but they said the announcement was not in their language. I don't know if Princess paid for the flights. The next night they were on, I reported that young children were left alone in balcony cabins and that the teens were hanging out by the elevators making a ton of noise. It got better. After that, we took cruises while kids are in school.

That's the beauty of a cruise; you can do what you want to do. If someone chooses to stay in their cabin that's their right as long as they're not bothering others or breaking the law.

We had a similar problem on a Ruby Caribbean cruise last year. Two young men were out on a balcony one deck down and over two cabins. They had music playing very loud, and every other word was an f-bomb. We called Passenger Services, and someone came up within 5 minutes. He was barely into our room, and he could hear them. Very shortly the noise stopped, they went into their cabin, and we never had a problem for the rest of the cruise. That was the first and only time we've had to make a report like that in over 40 years of cruising, and I was pleased that Princess took care of it so quickly.

Edited by FritzG

Hopefully the noise situation is resolved.

I was on a California Coastal cruise in March and the woman on the balcony next to us talked non-stop on her cell phone all day!:eek: The only day we got any peace and quiet was in Ensenada because she didn't have an international plan. She was constantly talking to her tech support because her grandson's I-phone wasn't working and she didn't understand her data plan. Then she proceeded to call everyone she knew to tell them that she was on a cruise. Thank God it was only a 7-day cruise.:rolleyes:

Amen to that. We love to listen to the sound of the ocean and just relax. That is what a vacation is all about.

Hopefully the kids (and their parents) got the message loud and clear about any consequences relayed to them.

Believe me, those of us with cruise with our kids aren't too pleased when kids are being a nuisance, because then all of the kids onboard are considered troublemakers with that broad brush. The only cruise we've been on with misbehaving kids was when their parents (it was a big extended family) basically left the kids on their own so they can gamble a lot. Many passengers did complain, but apparently these were big spenders. After the cruise, one of my roll callers did report witnessing some guy intentionally tripping one of the kids while they were running down a hall (they were also knocking on doors early in the morning) and the guy was actually threatened with being kicked off the ship (fortunately he wasn't, but I'm sure he didn't have to pay for a drink the rest of the cruise). The parents were also being jerks to the crew.

On our next cruise, it wasn't the kids causing problems but some of the senior citizens (one of their peers told me she was ticked off at them as she found them rude).

Hopefully the noise situation is resolved.

I was on a California Coastal cruise in March and the woman on the balcony next to us talked non-stop on her cell phone all day!:eek: The only day we got any peace and quiet was in Ensenada because she didn't have an international plan. She was constantly talking to her tech support because her grandson's I-phone wasn't working and she didn't understand her data plan. Then she proceeded to call everyone she knew to tell them that she was on a cruise. Thank God it was only a 7-day cruise.:rolleyes:

This would drive me crazy. It's akin to trying to enjoy a meal in a nice restaurant and someone in the next booth just has to gab on their phone (last week I had to check to see if some work was done on our car and I went out of the restaurant to call the place). I'm always glad when I hear about a restaurant that asks that diners stay off their phones for the enjoyment of everyone.

This may be a good time to quote the last paragraph of my cruise review from October 2014:

"In our 16 years of cruising, I’ve noticed that the percentage of our fellow passengers behaving in a somewhat rude, arrogant, “me first” manner has increased substantially. The majority of passengers we have met are wonderful people who it has been our privilege to know, and interact with. However, many more now seem to be from the “ME” generation who were never taught, or do not care to act courteously, with any consideration for others. We’re a small community on a big ocean folks, so let’s be kind to each other.

I sure hope everyone who takes a cruise, be it with Princess or another line, helps to helps to spread the message of courtesy and consideration for our fellow travellers.

I think the people in need of this lesson are the ones who were causing the OP trouble, not everyone here who has been offering suggestions on how to handle the situation.

Believe it or not some people actually book a balcony so they can sit on it and and watch the ocean, read a book or even spend time alone with the one they love.

Others may have physical disabilities that mean they need to spend time in their cabin.

Oh yeah!

It's why I cruise.

Would it be so wrong to just go to the hall where the kids are running and simply tell them to stop running and making such noise? Is it against the rules of the ship to speak up and if so, where are those rules posted? Twice I have confronted children who were misbehaving in a way that was extremely bothersome. Once while they were running up and down the hall of my cabin and once while sitting on a lounger next to me.The parent was contributing to the problem. It was dealt with immediately and without any push back. I shouldn't be the one who has to move away from the trouble makers. If the parents don't like it, let them be the ones to go to the front desk. What are they going to complain about? Someone is telling their children to stop being disrespectful of others on the ship? Bah.