Alaska crusing on Princess - Glaciers?

craig9563

Hello

I have never been on a cruise before but we plan on taking a cruise from Vancouver to Alaska next June or July.The Princess cruises look very good but we want to go Northbound from Vancouver and see both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. This option of both Glaciers only seems available for the Southbound sailings of Princess cruises in 2016. Can anyone confirm this, or do they add other cruise itineraries later in the year. I'm not sure, I'm a complete cruise newbie !

Also, we are in our early 50's, but young at heart and most of our friends are in their 30s- 40s. We like a bit of liveliness but not full on party atmosphere.

What is the typical "age range" or demographic for Princess cruises?

Thanks

Craig

Hello

I have never been on a cruise before but we plan on taking a cruise from Vancouver to Alaska next June or July.The Princess cruises look very good but we want to go Northbound from Vancouver and see both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. This option of both Glaciers only seems available for the Southbound sailings of Princess cruises in 2016. Can anyone confirm this, or do they add other cruise itineraries later in the year. I'm not sure, I'm a complete cruise newbie !

Also, we are in our early 50's, but young at heart and most of our friends are in their 30s- 40s. We like a bit of liveliness but not full on party atmosphere.

Thanks

Craig

Welcome to Cruise Critic ! They will not add itineraries.

Do you not see any northbound with Glacier Bay or College Fjord?

You will have no issues with the age demographic . I'd say 40-70 for the majority.

Spent 4 years in Mt Waverly and Syndal. :)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Sounds like Princess will be a good fit for you.

Northbound out of Vancouver you will have Glacier Bay and College Fjord, both of which are really amazing. Southbound from Whitter you will also have Hubbard Glacier. On our recent southbound cruise we were fortunate to get very close to Hubbard, and we had great weather for all of our glacier viewing.

If you want them all, go for two weeks, northbound from Vancouver, and stay on and come south again, and you will catch Hubbard as well. You will also have two days in each of the ports (except Whittier) so you can do and see more things.

Oh, and welcome to Cruise Critic. This is a great place to ask questions and get lots of info and opinions. Ask away - most of us will be glad to share what we can. I personally did a whole lot of research before we sailed Alaska for the first time. I promise you it was far from the last time, and it is a fantastic experience.

Glacier Bay is a great place for the first time Alaska cruiser, but I would pick College Fjord over Hubbard Glacier any day, although I'm sure there are others who would disagree with me.

Edited by love2relax

Hello

Thanks

Craig

It's due to the timing. Going south you can easily hit both. Going north it's hard to make the timing fit.

I can confirm that the northbound doing college and glacier is a rocking two scenic cruise. I'm sure hubbard is also awesome but the other two are very very good :D

Agree - we've done it northbound twice. Hopefully we'll get around to doing a southbound some day!

Welcome to Cruise Critic ! They will not add itineraries.

Do you not see any northbound with Glacier Bay or College Fjord?

You will have no issues with the age demographic . I'd say 40-70 for the majority.

Spent 4 years in Mt Waverly and Syndal. :)

Hey Colo cruiser , it's a small world , I grew up in Mt Waverley !! Never thought I'd hear it mentioned on here !!! When were you there?

By the way I've read a few of your comments & suggestions on this forum ,so thanks a lot. :)

ggprincess is right. If you possibly can, I would recommend taking the northbound and staying on for the return. We did that last year on the Crown. On turnaround day in Whittier we took the 26 glacier cruise which was one of the highlights of our whole trip. Two visits to each port gave us the chance to take an excursion one day and also have time to wander around the towns the other. And two chances to get some good weather. We had lovely weather northbound but it was not very nice on the return.

I would have a hard time choosing between Hubbard and College. The sight and sound of the glaciers calving was much more impressive at Hubbard - I don't remember it happening at College. But that may just have been on the days we were there.

Being from Melbourne I hope you will think about extending your trip with one of the Princess land tours (cruisetours). They are shown on their website and range from 10 to 15 days including the 7 days on the ship. The interior of Alaska is really nice and there is nothing similar in Australia. Right now through August 18 most of these cruises have special promos which include an All Inclusive Beverage Package (value US$394.45pp for a 7 day cruise), or some onboard credit if you choose. Check with your T.A. to see if this package is available in Australia. Princess was one of the first cruise lines in Alaska and has their own lodges.

Hey Colo cruiser , it's a small world , I grew up in Mt Waverley !! Never thought I'd hear it mentioned on here !!! When were you there?

By the way I've read a few of your comments & suggestions on this forum ,so thanks a lot. :)

You are welcome.

Was many years ago :o , attended Monash. ;)

It's due to the timing. Going south you can easily hit both. Going north it's hard to make the timing fit.

I concur. If you're a curious math geek like I am, you can "take the schedule apart" and calculate the speeds necessary to get to the next stop. If you then subtract an hour (i.e. stay in port an extra hour), you'll see that the speed on some legs goes up significantly, and may even exceed the capability of the ship.

Our Seattle RT last year included a 49-hour stretch where we were "confined" to the ship, after leaving Skagway until we got to Victoria. Even with 40+ hours, had we left Skagway more than 3.5 hours late, the ship could not have made it to Victoria on time even at top speed (which probably costs a LOT of fuel).

Thanks you all for very helpful replies. to those who mentioned visiting Melbourne and Monash.... I live in Prahran and I am a lecturer at Monash Uni (Biology). I am a mad fan of animals - especially birds. Have traveled the world to satisfy my animal passion, with highlights in North America that include Yellowstone. Canadian Rockies, SouthWest USA and Florida.

Craig