Christmas presents for crew

chefestelle

I am doing the Mexico 7 day holiday cruise that goes over Christmas. I'd like to start looking now for gifts to take for crew while the tourist and farmers market items are abundant here. I'm trying to sort out how many gifts I should plan for. Some are obvious but who should I plan for? I'll take shiny wrap without obvious Christmas themes so I don't offend those who don't observe Christmas...

I know this sounds like I am a unfeeling man, but I always give the gift of money. I will bring some Christmas cards, but rather than lug gifts that I don't even know that they want, I find that the money allows them to provide things for their families.

I am doing the Mexico 7 day holiday cruise that goes over Christmas. I'd like to start looking now for gifts to take for crew while the tourist and farmers market items are abundant here. I'm trying to sort out how many gifts I should plan for. Some are obvious but who should I plan for? I'll take shiny wrap without obvious Christmas themes so I don't offend those who don't observe Christmas...

I think you will find that most of the crew members on HAL are not Christian and do not celebrate Christmas although the ship will be decorated. We normally give cash when we want to reward the crew members.

We write a little thank you note on the outside of the tip envelopes we bring. On one cruise the recipient was so happy with the note. She said the money was great but the note really touched her and she said she'd keep it forever ( :)).

I'm sure a card saying how much you appreciated them would mean a lot (along with the money enclosed therein). The crew live in very small, shared quarters. They don't have room for a lot of "stuff".

Picking gifts that family members really like is a chore, even when we know their tastes, so I'm not sure how you could find suitable gifts for people you don't even know, no matter how good you intentions and impeccable your taste. As others have said, money is sure to please.

Cold, hard cash, together with a warm note of thanks, is the gift the crew wants.

Add in an honorable mention in your cruise comments (or on the report card available in your cabin), and they will be thrilled.

Other than one cellar master whom we know likes a certain brand of T shirt (and we know would welcome another one), the only gift we give is cash.

As others have said, cabin space is very limited for most of the crew and cash allows them to get what they need or send the money home :)

It really is the best thing to do IMO

Reiterating the other comments (& some of this from my own room stewards); do read the last item:

~they don't have room for stuff in their tiny shared bunk-bed cabins

~no matter how sentimental these gifts may be to Christians, on Holland the Indonesian crew are often Muslim or Buddhist & so Xmas is not a holiday they celebrate (tho officers & spa staff tend to be Dutch, British, or S. African...)

~phone cards MAY still be useful (tho may be complicated: cells whose plans may be limited to say, Verizon--not to mention the international/global roaming aspect)

~they appreciate cash, cash, cash & cash. Depending on your itinerary, euros may be the way to go, so they don't have to convert & possibly pay a fee or get an even lower exchange rate...

~Finally, while a card is a great idea, also consider this deeply meaningful gesture: use the stateroom stationery to write an actual letter personally addressed to their direct supervisor (head of housekeeping, maitre d') AND the hotel director, praising their work. Be specific on what they did--went out of their way to accommodate a request, etc.--as well as their friendliness, hard work. THIS is what earns them employee of the month, a bonus, a promotion, etc. And be sure to give them a copy.

Edited by sofietucker

While the thought is nice, the truth is that the crew has VERY limited space in their cabins. The only gift we give to the crew is $$$.

That was what I was thinking...very limited room and $$$ always appreciated.

I read about one CC poster who suggested giving little gift bags or small Christmas stockings filled with both Candy & Cash to their Cabin/MDR Stewards & other special Stewards or Bartenders, for Christmas, along with a card..

Sorry can't find the thread, but this is what I would do..

Don't forget to bring some decorations for your door.. Also understand you can order a small decorated Christmas tree for your cabin from HAL.. I know that the crew does sing Carols on Christmas Eve. & Santa visits the Children on Christmas day..

I would love to do a Christmas cruise some day..

One Dec., I did buy a box of Godiva at the onboard shop for my masseuse, whom I witnessed being bullied by her supervisor--who made her cry! In front of pax!! And so I wrote one of the aforementioned letters for her (as well as writing a very different one to admin re: the spa manager).

EVERYTHING everyone has said is true; But I also am hearing "I want this to be SPECIAL" for Christmas. Tuck a box of Christmas cards in your suitcase /small sized - and with whatever you choose to tip, remind the room stewards or table crews or whatever -of a LITTLE joke or whatever you may have shared -OR just say a KIND word of how spwcial THIS cruise was "because of YOUR help" Believe me it WILL be appreciated! AND remembered!!!! The HAL crews ARE special!!!!!! I know what YOU mean!

Anne ;)

One Dec., I did buy a box of Godiva at the onboard shop for my masseuse, whom I witnessed being bullied by her supervisor--who made her cry! In front of pax!! And so I wrote one of the aforementioned letters for her (as well as writing a very different one to admin re: the spa manager).

Calling down someone in front of another worker or Passenger is unconscionable!:(

Good for you for writing a letter to Administration..

Did you get an answer to your letter?

I know this sounds like I am a unfeeling man, but I always give the gift of money. I will bring some Christmas cards, but rather than lug gifts that I don't even know that they want, I find that the money allows them to provide things for their families.

Many of these people do not celebrate Christmas! Many are of different faiths. So why take Christmas cards?

I totally agree with those who say Cash, Cash, Cash...... :)

They don't want trinkets from our home towns, t shirts, caps, key chains, food items are dangerous as we don't know possible allergies, likes/dislikes, diet restrictions for whatever reason. They have no room in their cabins, must keep them tidy for cabin inspections by Captain, will have same luggage weight restrictions when they fly home so all superfluous 'stuff' gets tossed.

As to Christmas note cards, while the sentiment is well meant, many on the ships do not celebrate Christmas. I'm sure no one would want to risk offending anyone by assuming they would welcome a Christmas card.

EVERYTHING everyone has said is true; But I also am hearing "I want this to be SPECIAL" for Christmas. Tuck a box of Christmas cards in your suitcase /small sized - and with whatever you choose to tip, remind the room stewards or table crews or whatever -of a LITTLE joke or whatever you may have shared -OR just say a KIND word of how spwcial THIS cruise was "because of YOUR help" Believe me it WILL be appreciated! AND remembered!!!! The HAL crews ARE special!!!!!! I know what YOU mean!

Anne ;)

If I was planning on giving a crew member a present, I would keep it completely separate from the tip. I also wouldn't use a Christmas card.

There was a thread on here a few months ago stating that the Chinese custom of giving cash in Red Envelopes (red equates good luck and fortune) has been learned and appreciated by our HAL crew members. They are easily found in a search on Amazon (very inexpensive) and I intend to order plenty for my fall cruise and share with other passengers at our Roll Call.

This has been a most helpful thread. Having booked the Prinsendam's 2015 Holiday Cruise, I have been thinking about this issue. I already was aware that cash was the best gift the crew could receive. And, I was thinking of enclosing the cash in a Christmas card. The comments made by several posters reminding me that most of the crew probably would not celebrate Christmas makes me re-think my idea. A simple "thank you for your service during my holiday cruise" message would suffice, I think.

Serendipity1499, many thanks for the tip about the possible availability of a decorated Christmas tree for the stateroom. I was not aware that something like that might be available and it would be a great addition for my traveling companion and my holiday cruise. Thanks for the tip.

And, thanks for the other helpful comments as well.

There was a thread on here a few months ago stating that the Chinese custom of giving cash in Red Envelopes (red equates good luck and fortune) has been learned and appreciated by our HAL crew members. They are easily found in a search on Amazon (very inexpensive) and I intend to order plenty for my fall cruise and share with other passengers at our Roll Call.

Forgotten that I did that a few years ago.. Just found some of them.. Bought the three different designs on Amazon 50 of them for under $5.00,..I enclosed a thank you note & cash in each..

http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Red-Envelopes-pack-designs/dp/B004IMHWCK

Although, even if you used a generic Happy Holiday Card I rather doubt that anyone would be offended.. We have several Non Christian Friends who have always sent us a Christmas card & I've sent them Happy Holiday Cards..

As a matter of fact my Mom's Best Friends, were not Christian & every year I looked forward to seeing them because they gave me a book for Christmas.. It always was one of my best gifts ever, as Mom's Friend worked for a Publishing Company & knew exactly what book to give me for my age..:):)

Edited by serendipity1499