Can I book a cruise aged 20

edin_cruiser

BOOKING CONDITIONS:

Princess Cruise Line; clause 8

A booking may only be made by a person who is aged 21 or over. All passengers who, at the time of departure, will be under 21 years old must be accompanied by a passenger aged 21 or over who will at all times during the package be responsible for their welfare, conduct and behaviour.

P&O Cruises (UK) Ltd: clause 8

A booking may only be made by a person aged 18 or over. All passengers who, at the time of departure, will be under 18 years old must be accompanied by a passenger aged 18 or over who will at all times during the package be responsible for their welfare, conduct and behaviour. Passengers under 16 years of age are not permitted to disembark the ship at any port without a passenger who is accompanying them on the package in accordance with this clause.

Cunard: clause 8

same wording as P&O (UK) Ltd.

Assuming you wanted to book for Princess; the answer seems to be No, however it might be inferred that a third party of 21 years of age could book you on your behalf. Whether they need to travel and be listed as a passenger is disputable but you could travel alone thereafter as you are over 21 at time of departure is open to interpretation. This is not explicitly clear and clarification is vital.

P&O (UK) or Cunard Yes.

It would be prudent to specifically raise this point at the time of booking or attempted booking.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Not 100% and may vary by line, but most say you can't sail unless one person in the cabin is over 21, so I would say more likely than not yes.

Which line are you looking at.

I am 20 right now but would be 21 by sailing date. Perhaps a friend could do the booking for me?

I will likely be travelling in a group of unrelated adults

Specifically looking at NCL/Royal/Carnival type lines

I am 20 right now but would be 21 by sailing date. Perhaps a friend could do the booking for me?

Is someone going tobe in the cabin with you? The person needs to be 25.

(since you are 20) booking alone will cost you 2 cruise fares. (double occupancy)

when you do turn 21 compared to the ship sailing date?

(since you are 20) booking alone will cost you 2 cruise fares. (double occupancy)

that only applies to Carnival and only if someone under 21 will be in the cabin. if everyone sailing is 21 or older on embarkation day that does not apply.

OP already stated they would be 21 on sailing date and nowhere did they imply or state they were sailing alone.

that only applies to Carnival and only if someone under 21 will be in the cabin. if everyone sailing is 21 or older on embarkation day that does not apply.

OP already stated they would be 21 on sailing date and nowhere did they imply or state they were sailing alone.

They said they were sailing with unrelated adults. Nothing was said if someone was going to be in the cabin with them

Since cruising with a bunch of people I dont see where the issue is for them to book the cruise

Sooooooooooooo you guys are going to Party??? Please drink responsibility because too many things can happen on a ship ..enjoy your cruise but be careful...don't ask employees for places to puchase drugs etc....they will tell you and also tell security so be prepared to have your bags packed and you not be allowed on the ship after the port...with a chance of you being arrested...while the employee you asked gets a nice cash reward for turning you in.....we have seen this happen more than once...everyone on the ship will be hanging over the balconies waiting for your arrest....a ship is like a small town...gossip travels fast...and reputations can be ruined from port to port !!!!;) Once NCL gave a free Beer package from Charleston and the ship was empty of Beer by the first port....With well over 20 bars on several Carnival ships...they are mostly party ship..depending on the itinery....If your alone in your room Please be careful with meeting up with "new" friends or employees.... If you really want a memorable cruise take in the sun and entertainment...dance till you drop...play games you havn't played in years...eat new foods....read a book..relax and smile...until your next cruise...no regrets

Edited by myjillian

Turn 21 several months prior to sailing. Although we're yet to even decide what cruise we're doing, but I turn 21 in January and the trip wouldn't be until next summer. Of course the option is there just to wait until my birthday to book the trip, but I'd prefer to settle it sooner than later. I was just hoping that the companies won't care that I'm only 20 at the time of booking, given that I'll be 21 by sailing day.

Another option could just be to have my roommates(s) book the trip online and just include me as one of the passengers, and wire them the money.

Sooooooooooooo you guys are going to Party??? Please drink responsibility because too many things can happen on a ship ..enjoy your cruise but be careful...don't ask employees for places to puchase drugs etc....they will tell you and also tell security so be prepared to have your bags packed and you not be allowed on the ship after the port...with a chance of you being arrested...while the employee you asked gets a nice cash reward for turning you in.....we have seen this happen more than once...everyone on the ship will be hanging over the balconies waiting for your arrest....a ship is like a small town...gossip travels fast...and reputations can be ruined from port to port !!!!;) Once NCL gave a free Beer package from Charleston and the ship was empty of Beer by the first port....With well over 20 bars on several Carnival ships...they are mostly party ship..depending on the itinery....If your alone in your room Please be careful with meeting up with "new" friends or employees.... If you really want a memorable cruise take in the sun and entertainment...dance till you drop...play games you havn't played in years...eat new foods....read a book..relax and smile...until your next cruise...no regrets

Essentially I'm going to meet people that I met on the last cruise I took, or that would be the plan. I cruised with my family last month and there was such an amazing group of young adults on the ship (Mixture of solo travellers, friend groups and people like me that were just avoiding their parents :D ) that we are actually considering meeting up to do a cruise together again next year.

I will be sure to follow your advice :)

Royal Caribbean seems to have a split policy under clause 5.3 of their terms and conditions depending whether the ship is sailing from US ports (21 years) and Europe, Asia, South America, Australia and New Zealand (18 years) it is not specific on whether this is just the embarkation port or an intermediate port. Generally speaking the closer the ties to the USA a line has then the higher age limit applies more often.

Assuming you are 21 at date of sailing then booking very late is an option if the line wont accept your booking. This might give rise to a great deal or disappointment.

Regards John

Royal Caribbean seems to have a split policy under clause 5.3 of their terms and conditions depending whether the ship is sailing from US ports (21 years) and Europe, Asia, South America, Australia and New Zealand (18 years) it is not specific on whether this is just the embarkation port or an intermediate port. Generally speaking the closer the ties to the USA a line has then the higher age limit applies more often.

Assuming you are 21 at date of sailing then booking very late is an option if the line wont accept your booking. This might give rise to a great deal or disappointment.

Regards John

It would be annoying if the line would make me wait to book given that I will be 21 by sailing date :eek:

Turn 21 several months prior to sailing. Although we're yet to even decide what cruise we're doing, but I turn 21 in January and the trip wouldn't be until next summer. Of course the option is there just to wait until my birthday to book the trip, but I'd prefer to settle it sooner than later. I was just hoping that the companies won't care that I'm only 20 at the time of booking, given that I'll be 21 by sailing day.

Another option could just be to have my roommates(s) book the trip online and just include me as one of the passengers, and wire them the money.

If you're sailing with someone else in the same cabin, you don't make two bookings. If that person is over 21, let them be the "lead guest" and make the booking, and then each of you can pay for your portion with your own credit cards. Who books the cabin doesn't affect who pays for it.

I believe the 25 yr old/21 yr old rule applies to HAL also. The exception is if the two are married they are not required to have a 25 year old.

If you're sailing with someone else in the same cabin, you don't make two bookings. If that person is over 21, let them be the "lead guest" and make the booking, and then each of you can pay for your portion with your own credit cards. Who books the cabin doesn't affect who pays for it.

Thanks for the advice, I'd usually want to be the booker because I'm a control freak :D when it comes to this stuff

Call the cruise line you wish to sail, I think they may let you book now given your 21st birthday will occur prior to your sailing. Nothing to lose by asking them.

Please come back and let us know.

Call the cruise line you wish to sail, I think they may let you book now given your 21st birthday will occur prior to your sailing. Nothing to lose by asking them.

Please come back and let us know.

I will certainly post in this thread when I have an answer for sure, I think it will likely be several weeks yet, though. Could be as many as 15 or 16 young adults involved in this group so it will take a lot of discussions to sort out the perfect dates and ship for us.

:)

You can make payments yourself instead of wiring money. Just call the cruiselines and make that payment. They dont care who-- just as long as its done.