Is This HAL Koningsdam Cruise Expensive

We are thinking of booking the new HAL Koningsdam 24 night cruise from Amsterdam to Rome, leaving 18/9/16.

Just wondering if people think its expensive at $5949pp for the cheapest balcony?

We are thinking of booking now but could delay until next February. Is the price likely to go up or down between now and then. There has been no movement in the price at all to date.

What is expensive is subjective.

But I use the test of anything under $150 per person per night for balcony is a baragin. This comes out as $247 per person per night. So I would consider it to be a little bit pricey. But that is just me. It is HAL newest ship I believe, so you have to take into consideration some sort of higher price. But how much, only you can really determine what it is worth to you.

What is the itinerary like?

Edited by icat2000

Is that price for 2 people or single? If it is for 2, then that is a good price and fits Sarah's under $150 rule :)

I haven't studied HAL, but we notice Celebrity prices don't move much either, unlike Royal Caribbean. Different cruise lines do work their prices in different ways.

Do you really want to do it, and would you be disappointed if you didn't get it now and the price went up? Always hard to know when to lock a price in. Sounds nice though!

Edited by goodycruising

We are thinking of booking the new HAL Koningsdam 24 night cruise from Amsterdam to Rome, leaving 18/9/16.

Just wondering if people think its expensive at $5949pp for the cheapest balcony?

We are thinking of booking now but could delay until next February. Is the price likely to go up or down between now and then. There has been no movement in the price at all to date.

I have booked an Ocean View on the Koningsdam from Rome to Fort Lauderdale 28 days single occupancy and the price works out at $247 per day. Experienced HAL cruisers posting on the roll call remarked that they were surprised at the reasonable prices for a new ship.

Agree with other comments. It comes down to what you value it as; some would find it worth it, and others would not, based on whether you've been there before, whether the destinations appeal, whether the ship appeals, leave, the cabin, time of year, weather, other holidays planned, whether you'd be willing and able to wait for the itinerary next season, your financial situation, how you expect your future financial situation to be... and last, cost.

Personally, I don't see it as 'expensive' compared to general cruise costs, but it's not 'cheap' either. So it's more just a question of how you value the above.

I wouldn't do that cruise in February if you are thinking of postponing. Dreary, rainy and potentially stormy winter weather even in the southern Med.

They're thinking of holding off booking until Feb... not cruising then. The cruise is in September. That's a good time of year to go.

As said above...Is it expensive ? . Relates to your own thoughts and budget. I think its reasonable for a HAL cruise, (great itinerary).

A quick check of the HAL site and an online agent have them both quoting Verandahs from US $4949 ....(AU$6660).If your quote is AU $ you are doing OK.:)

Thank you all for your comments.

I'm feeling reassured that the price is reasonable and unlikely to reduce in the next few months.

Yes, it's a great itinerary, particularly as I think we can board at the first port of call (Portland UK), which is near where we will be staying in the UK at the time, saving us a flight and hotel in Amsterdam.

Just comparing it with a couple of NCL options, but think we will go with this one.

Any thoughts on HAL v NCL experience.

Thank you all for your comments.

I'm feeling reassured that the price is reasonable and unlikely to reduce in the next few months.

Yes, it's a great itinerary, particularly as I think we can board at the first port of call (Portland UK), which is near where we will be staying in the UK at the time, saving us a flight and hotel in Amsterdam.

Just comparing it with a couple of NCL options, but think we will go with this one.

Any thoughts on HAL v NCL experience.

They are both very good lines. HAL is a bit more upmarket, but only in as much as the difference between a GX and a GLX car:D

If you go ahead and book at this price, then later notice a price drop, you can always ask to be "refared "at the lower price.

We've booked! Perhaps a bit pricey, but the timing and itinerary fit in well with our visiting family in the UK. Got a surprise $200 obc.

Good on you. You now have a certain plan to work to , and around. All the best for a great trip and a wonderful cruise.:)

Cruise pricing really is a mystery to me. The day after I book the price has gone up $600pp. Pricing can't be sensitive to one booking can it? Glad to be locked in, and must stop monitoring price.

Cruise pricing really is a mystery to me. The day after I book the price has gone up $600pp. Pricing can't be sensitive to one booking can it? Glad to be locked in, and must stop monitoring price.

Possibly just the system being updated. Yes, once booked it is no use price watching unless you can do something about it.

Ultimately, there'll always be one booking at the threshold. It's due to sales and availability at points in time, and your booking is part of that.