Sea Sick Advice

missmetal

Hi everyone,

My fiance is a little prone to sea sickness, so I am just wondering where on the ship is best to be accommodated so you don't feel as much motion?

We have been booked into a room on Deck 9 (9018), which seems to be at the front of the ship on the left side.

I have heard mixed reviews.... Some say being lower / in the middle of the ship is better for seasickness, however, some others say being up higher is good too because you aren't low and watching the waves go past your face, so you don't notice it as much?

Any good ideas on how to prevent or stop sea sickness while on board?

I always book an inside cabin as close to the middle of the ship as possible. I feel the least motion low in the ship but have been able to tolerate up to deck 7. I use ginger capsules 3 times a day and take ginger candy when I feel queasy and drink ginger ale. I also wear sea bands or queasy beads. All of this seems to help. If the seas get real rough, the staff hands out bonine like it's candy.

Hi everyone,

My fiance is a little prone to sea sickness, so I am just wondering where on the ship is best to be accommodated so you don't feel as much motion?

We have been booked into a room on Deck 9 (9018), which seems to be at the front of the ship on the left side.

I have heard mixed reviews.... Some say being lower / in the middle of the ship is better for seasickness, however, some others say being up higher is good too because you aren't low and watching the waves go past your face, so you don't notice it as much?

Any good ideas on how to prevent or stop sea sickness while on board?

You can also get sea sick pills from the customer service desk. We had a few waves going thru the waters between Cuba and Haiti it was early morning and my DH felt queazy so I went to the shops and they were closed, so I asked at the desk and they handed me sea sick pills. He was right as rain in about 1 hour. I have heard the natural trick with Ginger works also. After 12 cruises that was the only time my DH got queazy. :D

. . . Some say being lower / in the middle of the ship is better for seasickness, however, some others say being up higher is good too because you aren't low and watching the waves go past your face, so you don't notice it as much? . . .

As Bob said the general rule is that low center has comparatively less motion. The front and rear of the ship will have more pitch [up and down rotation] and the upper decks will have more roll [sway or side to side rotation]. In this case, "center" means center of gravity. A body like a ship or aircraft moving through a fluid tends to pivot on its center of gravity, so, for example, as the ship goes through the waves, when the bow goes up [pitch], the aft will tend to go down, with the center of gravity remaining the most stable. The center of gravity on these ships is -- I think -- a little aft of dead center so the aft tends to move less that the bow.

For me personally, while these general rules are based on physics and common sense, when the waters are calm the ship is petty stable everywhere, but when it gets rough, you are going to feel it wherever you are. But (a) I have no real technical expertise [ but I did take high school physics and have stayed in a Holiday In express a time or two] and (b) I have never had a problem with motion sickness. So take that with a grain of salt.

You will never see the "waves go past your face" unless you are in the "Perfect Storm"! Even the lowest passenger decks are well above the water line!

Mid ship, mid deck is best. Start motion meds in advance of the actual cruise..and continue daily.

I'm gonna offer advice as someone who gets extreme motion sickness and suggest getting a scopolamine patch that you get from your doctor with a prescription. It's a tiny round band-aid sized patch that sticks behind your ear 4 hours before you get on the ship and wear for 3 days at a time (or less). I've tried every other remedy; seasickness bands, ginger pills, gingerale, bonine pills from the ship...threw up with those every...single...time!!! If your husband gets motion sickness pretty bad, don't risk the other options, just get the patch!

Warnings of the patch: your eyes will get blurry after wearing the patch for too many days (I wore one for 5 or 6 days in a row and I couldn't read the menu). I took it off and my vision came back within an hour or two and I didn't have any motion sickness issues, even with it off because the medicine stays in your system for a while. It also says not to drink alcohol while wearing it. I took the warning pretty seriously at first but by the end of my trip I went ahead and drank because I took the mixology class and I was fine. Turns out the alcohol warning is because of drowsiness. I should have read the labels more clearly.

Get the patch. They cost a dollar or two per patch and are very easy to get. If you need them you'll be very happy you have them, and if not, you don't have to use them. Better than being seasick and throwing up and being bedridden. Think: morning sickness all day long. That's no way to spend vacation.

As Bob said the general rule is that low center has comparatively less motion. The front and rear of the ship will have more pitch [up and down rotation] and the upper decks will have more roll [sway or side to side rotation]. In this case, "center" means center of gravity. A body like a ship or aircraft moving through a fluid tends to pivot on its center of gravity, so, for example, as the ship goes through the waves, when the bow goes up [pitch], the aft will tend to go down, with the center of gravity remaining the most stable. The center of gravity on these ships is -- I think -- a little aft of dead center so the aft tends to move less that the bow.

For me personally, while these general rules are based on physics and common sense, when the waters are calm the ship is petty stable everywhere, but when it gets rough, you are going to feel it wherever you are. But (a) I have no real technical expertise [ but I did take high school physics and have stayed in a Holiday In express a time or two] and (b) I have never had a problem with motion sickness. So take that with a grain of salt.

So close, I'll have to give you the cigar anyway. What dampens the motion of the stern (aft is an adverb not a noun, there is no "the aft", sorry :o) is the fact that it is "wider" here than the bow, so there is more buoyancy back aft, hence more righting moment. Well done for high school physics. Your teacher would be proud.

You will never see the "waves go past your face" unless you are in the "Perfect Storm"! Even the lowest passenger decks are well above the water line!

Mid ship, mid deck is best. Start motion meds in advance of the actual cruise..and continue daily.

We were on the Norwegian Dawn in 2006, just after Tropical Storm Beryl, and my MIL and SIL were in a cabin on deck 4, and they had to close the curtain on the porthole, as the seas were washing over it, getting them a little queasy. It also kept them awake most of the night.

And for the OP, when you say he is a little affected by sea sickness, when does this manifest? Ferry boat, power boat, lake, ocean? The ship will move less than any of these. For me, what works is the old fashioned sailor's remedy: greasy fried eggs, some saltines, and go outside so your eyes can see the motion as well as your inner ears are feeling it. But that's just me.

Well, that may be true for your cruises, but we've had some pretty rough seas on a few of ours. Yes, we have experienced waves washing over windows. I don't know where the OP is cruising, but I wouldn't use "never". ;)

I also use the behind-ear patches from my doctor. I still felt the movement of the ship from time to time but it did not make me feel sick. I did drink alcohol on board but never an excessive amount so I didn't feel any different.

Good luck and enjoy! Spend a lot of time outside in the fresh air!

If you get the patches, try them at home before you take them on the trip with you. They give me hallucinations. It isn't common, but happens often enough that my doctor really stressed trying one while I was safely at home. Every medication has possible side effects...

I use Sea Bands and am happy with them. I also take non-drowsy Dramamine with me just in case the sea bands don't work. I haven't needed to use the dramamine, but I like to have it handy. I choose cabins that are as close to the middle of the ship as possible, and I really need to have at least an outside window so I can stare at the horizon.

The best cabin for some one who gets seasick is as far down as you can go in the middle of the ship. Think of a pendulum. The top flies back and forth while the bottom hardly moves. The ship is the same. The higher up you are the more movement you feel.

The patches can also effect your eyes/vision. Cruise friends stay away from them.

Edited by Bonnie J.

My bff who I cruise with every few years gets seasick VERY easily. As mentioned above, we always get an inside cabin mid-ship. She says looking at the waves outside the window or balcony door makes her feel bad. However, sitting on the deck out in the open doesn't, so it's tender boats and cabins that cause her the problem.

Have your boyfriend take a half dose (12.5 mg) of bonine (non-drowsy; buy the generic meclizine at any drug store, and 12.5 mg tablets if they have them) the day/night before you sail. Then, another half dose in the am the day of sailing, and another half dose at bedtime the first night.

If he experiences any trouble, he should continue to take a half or whole tablet daily.

Starting out with half doses keeps you from getting groggy, because even the non-drowsy will affect you. Small doses over a period of 2 - 3 days gets it in your system gently.

I do this, and if we have a lot of ship movement I'll take another dose on day 3 or 4.

The trick is to NOT get sick first (as mentioned above). So, if he suddenly becomes "aware" of what's going on in his stomach, then he's starting to get seasick. The brain may interpret the feeling as hunger, but take the half dose just to be on the safe side.

I used to get sick almost every cruise but I've come up with a solution wherein I've been on really rocky ships and I've been just fine. I take a Bonnie every 12 hours (doc says it's ok) and a ginger root capsule with every meal starting a couple of days before the cruise. I might get a little queasy the first night, but nothing more than that.

Definitely a visit to the family doctor is in order, since they'll know if any specific options are not good with any medication or health conditions fiance has. My own doctor told me in general doctors can't entirely say what will work best for you in advance, but can say which are poor choices for you, so best to rely on them.

I was able to get the seasickness patch without even seeing my doctor. It's not as big a deal as people make it out to be. She did need to call in the prescription, but she did it all over the phone without even seeing me for an exam. I'm sure there are probably certain medications that don't mix well with the patch, and your doctor would know if you're on them because it's in your file.

A lot of people seem to be encouraging you to go with remedies that I have always found far less effective and it's great that those work for most people, but take my advice as someone who gets extremely sea sick (I've thrown up in the entrance of the windjammer trying to make it to the bathroom before)...those more natural remedies do not work for everyone!!!! Get the prescription patch just in case, because if you rely on the ship's sea sickness pills or walgreens sea sickness bands (they're supposed to press on your pressure points in your wrist and magically make you feel better), or ginger candy...your vacation may very we'll be ruined. Better safe than sorry. Get the patch!!

Edited by ColoradoGurl

While the patch works for me (used in combination with ginger capsules anyway), it isn't for everyone. There can be some very problematic side effects and that is why I can't make a blanket statement to get the patch. There is not a 'one size fits all' remedy for seasickness. Sadly, it is trial and error for individuals to discover what works for them.

While the patch works for me (used in combination with ginger capsules anyway), it isn't for everyone. There can be some very problematic side effects and that is why I can't make a blanket statement to get the patch. There is not a 'one size fits all' remedy for seasickness. Sadly, it is trial and error for individuals to discover what works for them.

I agree, but it's better to get the prescription and bring it along just in case rather than to be scared it might have a bad side effect and not get it at all. That's all I meant. I would bring it and try it in case those other things don't work. I got the blurry vision and that was horrible, only because it sucks not to be able to see or read, but when I took it off halfway through the trip my vision came back and I didn't get sick anymore either (the medicine stays in your system for a while). But I didn't experience anything other than that.

Dementia is another possible side effect. While it is temporary, the cruise ships have seen too many naked people wandering around because of this side effect. ;) I would only recommend those who KNOW they are susceptible to seasickness (and nothing else works) to talk to their Dr. about getting a prescription. It is a VERY powerful drug.

This is coming from someone who gets seasick VERY easily.

Dementia is another possible side effect. While it is temporary, the cruise ships have seen too many naked people wandering around because of this side effect. ;) I would only recommend those who KNOW they are susceptible to seasickness (and nothing else works) to talk to their Dr. about getting a prescription. It is a VERY powerful drug.

This is coming from someone who gets seasick VERY easily.

Really???? I didn't know that. That's kind of funny but also a little scary. I don't see that warning on my prescription, lol. Maybe that's why they tell you not to drink, haha!