From Civitivechia Train station to port

funnybunny70

I'm not sure that I agree with the previous poster on this one. The walk from the station to the entrance of the port would be a solid 20 minutes.

At that point (near the castle) there is a free shuttle, run by the port authority, that will take you to the ship.

So, if you are not so young and energetic, you may find a taxi a little bit easier.

We did the walk from the port to the station a total of 3 times in June while we were switching between 2 cruises and the overnight ferry to Sardinia.

Taxis aren't always available for the short distance between the station and the port "entrance" (which has been either temporarily or permanently relocated a bit further away than the previous one).

The distance still isn't so much that it can't be walked, as Blue Elephant says.

There is also a bus that runs between the train station and the port entrance, for 80 euro cents.

Edited by cruisemom42

It's about a mile from the station to the port shuttle pick up spot. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to start my cruise by dragging my luggage a mile over uneven surfaces. . .recommend the bus from the station to the shuttle.

This shows yo how to get between port entrance and train station.

http://www.civitavecchiaport.org/get-the-port-from-civitavecchia-train-station/

I would say around 15 minutes but either way it is pretty easy. If you think it's not then take a taxi.

Keith

Keith, hopefully you will revisit this post as the information you are giving out is now wrong.

The port bus drop off point moved some time ago (probably permanently) to Via Turco (close to the roundabout at the junction of via Turco and Via Isonzo). The drop off point is no longer by the fort but is about twice the distance and is about 20 minutes walk (as opposed to 10)

There is a bus from the station to the port bus as cruisemom pointed out but it only runs until around 8pm. Please do not rely on taking a taxi as taxis in Civitavecchia are few and far between.

Edited by Bobal

Thank you every one , the day we go is a feast day (15/08/15) so we're wondering if there would be taxis or buses operating and if not how far it would be to walk! We will have our 10 yr old with us too!

Keith, hopefully you will revisit this post as the information you are giving out is now wrong.

The port bus drop off point moved some time ago (probably permanently) to Via Turco (close to the roundabout at the junction of via Turco and Via Isonzo). The drop off point is no longer by the fort but is about twice the distance and is about 20 minutes walk (as opposed to 10)

There is a bus from the station to the port bus as cruisemom pointed out but it only runs until around 8pm. Please do not rely on taking a taxi as taxis in Civitavecchia are few and far between.

Yes, Hank pointed that out. :)

My mistake.

And I was there about a month ago and just forgot.

Keith

Thank you every one , the day we go is a feast day (15/08/15) so we're wondering if there would be taxis or buses operating and if not how far it would be to walk! We will have our 10 yr old with us too!

It sounds like this is a boarding day for you. I can't say with 100% certainty, but if there are ships in port the shuttle will be running for sure, and my guess is that the train station bus will be running as well. Again, walking a mile in August heat with luggage and a 10 year old sounds like misery to me. . .

Hi

We will arrive from Rome by train to Civitivecchia, can we walk to the port entrance from the train ?

Thank you

You can but l would not recommend it. Firstly, you will have to carry your luggage down steps, under the platforms and up again. If it's hot - did l read August? - you will be suffering already. The walk to the shuttle is supposedly now a mile! For the sake of €.80 or €2 pp, depending on which bus you choose, l would strongly recommend taking the bus. Ken

Out of curiosity, have you checked your roll call to see if anyone is arranging a group shuttle from Rome to the port? I've done that on previous cruises and it has worked well.

*Edited to say you've probably already bought your train tickets so please ignore my post if you have.

Edited by cadburysmom

Hi All

My hubby and I have done the walk between the train station to port a number of times in the past; and I realize the port entrance has now been moved. We don't mind walking (we don't bring much luggage), but I am having a hard time understanding exactly how to get there on foot. I've read a lot of posts and many of them are confusing to me or provide conflicting information.

Do we turn right after leaving station, just stay right and head a block or so away from the old port entrance?

I am probably overthinking this; I assume it will be fairly easy to find!

Yes, you leave the station just as you have in the past and walk in the same direction, north.

When you get to McDonald's, instead of going straight into the port as you would have in the past, turn right. Make the second left onto Via Cavour and stay on it until Via Lazzaretto where you turn left. The port entrance and bus stop will be just ahead on the right.

If you look at a google map you'll see that there are a couple of small streets you could use that are slightly more direct - the directions I've given are the main roads and have the fewest turns.

Yes, you leave the station just as you have in the past and walk in the same direction, north.

When you get to McDonald's, instead of going straight into the port as you would have in the past, turn right. Make the second left onto Via Cavour and stay on it until Via Lazzaretto where you turn left. The port entrance and bus stop will be just ahead on the right.

If you look at a google map you'll see that there are a couple of small streets you could use that are slightly more direct - the directions I've given are the main roads and have the fewest turns.

Thanks euro cruiser; appreciate it.

sky0000547,

I would say you'd be able to identify the bus, but note that it is a city bus, at least it was last summer. Taking the bus from the drop off point TO the train station (although, we had to wait for a 2nd bus) isn’t as chaotic as FROM the train station. There were hundreds of cruise passengers getting off the train at the same time, so we opted to walk to the “new” drop off point. (There was no way all of us would fit on one bus. It took us about 20 minutes or so to walk).

On the way, I saw another bus stop and passengers getting on (on the lower street, very near the “old” stop….see links for photos). I wondered if we would be able to board it, but since we were short on time for our All Aboard, didn’t take any chances and took note of it (it’s at a place very near the “old” drop off point. We could’ve walked down a flight of stairs from where we were on the Upper Street right to the bus stop. Wouldn’t want to do those stairs if I had luggage. But read below, others just use the old directions and it’s not that far away from the “old” stop). That was last summer. This summer, other passengers report being able to use this bus stop to get to their ship. I'm going to paste some info from another recent Thread.

See this specific post for details: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46606052&postcount=36

Also, these Threads have more info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2057798

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2057729

In short, from first-hand accounts, if you're going TO a bus stop from the train station you have 2 options; one option is quite close to the old stop by the fort & the other is the "new" stop (opting either to take the local bus there or walk there). If you're going to the train station FROM the port shuttle/cruise ship, you need the "new" stop.

I know things can change, but this info is from recent reports. As always, I would verify prior to my trip.

If I had never been to Civitavecchia, I would use a taxi to get from the train station to the ship.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by syesmar

Thanks for the detailed info syesmar. I think TO the train station shouldn't be an issue, but it is FROM the station that could be confusing.

Yes, indeed! It makes planning a bit uncertain. I don't know if it's easy to get luggage on those local buses (heading to the port shuttle). That's why I suggest a taxi for those who've never been. But if it's not crowded and the bags aren't a problem to get on, the train-to-bus-to-shuttle-to-ship option is cheaper.

Have a great trip!!!

Edited by syesmar