Spending a night in port

rogfam

While it is not specifically required, it is appropriate to notify the Guest Relations desk that you will be staying off the ship overnight. It is also polite to mention it to your cabin steward so that they do not worry when they see your bed unused. Also keep in mind that some countries require you to present your Passport when you check-in at a hotel so you might want to either check the local requirements or carry your Passports.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We dock for two nights on my upcoming cruise. Planning to leave the ship and spend one night in a hotel in port. What is the protocol? Do I have to officially inform Celebrity?

Yes you MUST notify and get permission from Celebrity headquarters prior to boarding your cruise. The E-mail address is: air_sea_cci_web@celebritycruises.com

Yes you MUST notify and get permission from Celebrity headquarters prior to boarding your cruise. The E-mail address is: air_sea_cci_web@celebritycruises.com

Not sure this is true. On our SE Asia cruise on Millennium we were not told we had to do this to stay off the ship for an overnight, nor did we. Three of the overnight ports were very far from the cities, so many, many people stayed in hotels in the cities overnight and in fact Celebrity was offering shore excursions specifically with overnight stays off the ship. There is no curfew to be back on the ship by a certain time during an overnight stay, so I do not see how they could even enforce this.

We just informed our Butler and MDR waiter, and both just said no problem and wished us a good time. This was in Thailand and Vietnam.

Now, if you wanted to depart the ship for good at a port prior to the final port I could see where you would have to get permisison.

Edited by We're The Groupnors

May I ask where you are getting this information? Respectfully, it doesn't make much sense -- the ship docks for an overnight, you walk off, you don't return till the next day. How does anyone on the ship even know to stop you if you haven't received this permission?

I totally agree with the posters above that once on board, you should let Guest Services, your cabin attendant, and your tablemates/waiter (if in traditional dining) know of your plans, for all the reasons already stated.

May I ask where you are getting this information? Respectfully, it doesn't make much sense -- the ship docks for an overnight, you walk off, you don't return till the next day. How does anyone on the ship even know to stop you if you haven't received this permission?

I totally agree with the posters above that once on board, you should let Guest Services, your cabin attendant, and your tablemates/waiter (if in traditional dining) know of your plans, for all the reasons already stated.

I would like the ship know of my pending plans, just for safety sake. What if an emergency should occur? It would be wise to let them know where you could be reached. JMHO...

Perhaps the poster is thinking of a time when someone gets off the ship and rejoins at a later port rather than a scheduled overnight as described here.

I would like the ship know of my pending plans, just for safety sake. What if an emergency should occur? It would be wise to let them know where you could be reached. JMHO...

We left our hotel name and number on a note along with my cell and email contact info. Showed our room steward where I left it on the desk so we could be contacted if needed while we were away. We didn't notify GS but did our waiter in the MDR.

Thanks everyone for the excellent advice. We will be in Bali and thought it would be nice to relax at a beach front hotel for the night.

We did overnight in Bali (Was an excellent idea!!). We informed Guest Relations & gave them our contact number. They thanked us for keeping them informed.