Spain visa? Pam or Caribill?

Cruiserkenn

if I take the transatlantic this fall, from Barcelona to FLL, and then in April take the transatlantic from FLL to Barcelona, will there be visa issues? I plan to fly United to and from Barcelona. My United ticket would be to Barcelona in October and returning from Barcelona after the cruise on May 9.

Thanks!

US citizens can check whether they need a visa to any country in the world by going the the State Department's website (http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country.html) and clicking the country you are travel

ling to on the map. The "Quick Facts" section lists:

• passport validity requirements
  • blank passport pages requirements
  • tourist visa requirements
  • vaccinations requirements
  • currency restrictions

Spain is part of Schengen Area. So no visa required.

I took a cruise from Barcelona once. We flew to Oslo and after few hours layover, to Barcelona. There was a passport check in Oslo as soon as you leave the plane (don't even enter the airport main area). After that, flight to Barcelona felt like a domestic flight. Landed in Barcelona, and simply walked out of the airport. No passport check, nothing.

Here's some official info: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/go/schengen-fact-sheet.html

OP- I do see your concern about possibly needing a Visa. As far as I know, you would only need a Visa for stays over 90 days and with the airline ticket you are purchasing it could appear to customs that you are staying in the country for about 7 mos. They may take your cruise documents as proof that you're not staying and be fine with it but I do see potential for problems. Then again, you may have no trouble at all. I think you need to speak to someone more official. A roundtrip ticket to Europe is probably way more affordable than two one-ways but I wonder if the possible complications are worth it.

Your passport will be stamped entering the Schengen zone at the airport in Barcelona (or at an intermediate European airport if not flying direct) when you arrive a day or more before boarding the cruise.

It will subsequently be stamped exiting the Schengen zone at your final port call in Portugal before crossing the Atlantic. That is why the purser holds passports of non-EU citizens.

So you will be documented as having exited in under ninety days and need not concern yourself with getting a Visa. Your future plans to revisit the Schengen zone next April should not come into play at all--and will not be linked to your previous visit when you do.

Your passport will be stamped entering the Schengen zone

We have not gotten our passports stamped in the Schengen area since 2002. France and Germany look at them but do not stamp.

UK does stamp but is not in Schengen.

We have not gotten our passports stamped in the Schengen area since 2002. France and Germany look at them but do not stamp.

Our passports were stamped when we arrived in Barcelona and in Frankfurt on our way home last October.

The others have answered more than adequately. :) You're fine. No visa needed.

Agree with Pam and all the others.

Our passports have been stamped every single time (except one) entering Europe and when leaving it.

The one exception was when the ship had to skip the last European port due to weather.