Grand Cayman- walkable to beach from port?

yousee1

Hi,

I used to live on the island and there isn't really any walkable beach from the port. As the other poster mentioned, it is too hot to walk the mile and 1/2 or 2 miles comfortably.

You can pick up the city bus van on the side of the road by flagging them down. It is about $2 or $3 one way to the public beach ( seagrapes- no entrance fee) via the bus or $4 per person in a van taxi.

There is a place to snorkel and eat lunch that is walkable from the port ( 5 mins or so) called Eden Rock Paradise Restaurant. You literally walk down stone steps off the restaurant patio into the water, but there is no beach.

While it's possible to walk to 7 mile beach for some in good condition but it's longer than you think to get to the best parts. Taking a taxi saves time and is so much easier! :)

For those who only want to snorkel or dive (no beach) Eden Rock is only a few blocks away from the tender dock. ;)

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

to me

1/2 mile ... even 2 miles ... is nothing

I walk that every day in Florida for exercise

to YOU, it might be a major distance. . .

I commend you. I myself live in South Florida and know the humidity and heat.

However, I am in good shape and once I decided to walk about 2 miles from the area of the Westin along West Bay Road in Seven Mile Beach area to near Kirk's Supermarket ( near the Burger King close to the port) and was very close to suffering from heat stroke when I reached my destination.

Grand Cayman is much closer to the equator than Florida or any other place and the heat is much more than people are used to. Would not recommend walking to the beach to anyone.

Edited by CocoCandy

This thread stated that it was right near the port. I need to find this thread.

Please do find the thread. I'd love to see what beach they said was walkable...maybe Smith Cove, in the other direction from 7MB? We've had a vacation home on the island for the last decade or so, and have never seen an actual beach that could be considered to be a short walk from the port.

Edited by bookbabe

You can walk to a beach near the tender drop off. About 10 minute walk.

Keith

Landmarks? Which direction from the tenders? More details please, as I really can't remember seeing any beaches within a 10 minute walk, and I visit numerous times a year...

If you get off the tender walk to the right about 10 minutes along the short. There is a beach right there.

Keith

Hmmm...I can't remember ever seeing a beach that close in that direction. Smith Cove, our usual stop, is closer to a 30 minute walk than a 10 minute one, or so says Google Maps. I'll have to look when we're back next month.

Capt_BJ, you spend a fair bit of time in that direction. Is there a beach somewhere near Sunset House, other than Smith Cove?

Landmarks? Which direction from the tenders? More details please, as I really can't remember seeing any beaches within a 10 minute walk, and I visit numerous times a year...

@Bookbabe, are you with me in thinking this is Smith's Cove? That is the only beach that is towards the right of the port, like you are headed towards South Sound and the East End, but I am thinking it might be more of a 20 min walk.

If it is Smith's Cove, it is not the safest walk because the sidewalks end after a while and you would be walking on the side of the road/ in the vegetation of a 2 lane highway. Smith Cove beach is lovely, but the water is much rougher with bigger waves there than on 7 Mile Beach, which is much calmer. However, the snorkeling might be better at Smith's Cove.

@Keith, do you happen to remember the name of the beach? Or do you remember if there is large Victorian looking home/ establishment on the road that is on opposite side of the beach?

Edited by CocoCandy

Hmmm...I can't remember ever seeing a beach that close in that direction. Smith Cove, our usual stop, is closer to a 30 minute walk than a 10 minute one, or so says Google Maps. I'll have to look when we're back next month.

Capt_BJ, you spend a fair bit of time in that direction. Is there a beach somewhere near Sunset House, other than Smith Cove?

from the tender area

turn LEFT to get to 7 mile BEACH

the farther you go the better it gets, but you FIND 7 mile within 1/4 mile of the tenders . . .

turn RIGHT and you head to Eden Rock and Sunset House .... the shore this direction is IRON SHORE ... there is no <minimal> beach this direction until you get to Smith's Cove . . .

Google Earth reveals all . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

• 4 weeks later...

This website makes it sound like these beaches to the left of the cruise terminal are just minutes away. It refers to a beach at Wreck of the Cali and says it is a 4 minute walk, and says Cheeseburger Reef is 10 minutes and also has beach. Last time we were there we went to Hell, then Cemetery Beach. We took the bus. But if we truly can walk just 10 minutes and have a beach and a reef we may do that. Or even bus to Cheeseburger Reef if it is not really 10 minutes but is a nice beach and snorkeling. Thoughts?

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/GrandCaymanSnorkeling.htm

Yes, technically you can walk to those two spots...however...

If you look at the pictures in the directions sections of that link, you will see the two "beaches" in their entirety. Nope, that's not just a section shown, that's the whole beach.

The Cali spot usually has a couple of fisherman there, cleaning and selling their catch.

The Cheeseburger Reef section is so named as it's a small stretch of sand alongside the Burger King.

Unless you are desperate and have very limited time and no other options, I wouldn't suggest those as anything more than launch spots for snorkelling. The snorkelling is good, though.

If you want actual beach plus okay snorkelling, stick with Cemetery Beach, or head in the opposite direction to Smith Cove.

Edited by bookbabe