More Power for the OP

Who thinks the OP should have more power  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Who thinks the OP should have more power

• Let the op remove or silence a user
    • The op should have no control over users

With all of the Thread hijackers and the people that just want to attack other people in posts, and contribute absolutely nothing... I wonder if there could be or has ever been any thought to the OP having the power to remove a post from the conversation or mute it???/ Since it's their post and they are the ones asking for input, why not?

I know I can block any user I want and never have to listen to them.. but what about just silencing these awe full people from a post.. normally they just stir everyone up and drag a thread way off topic?

thoughts????

If the OP feels that their thread has been attacked, either them personally or other posters, they can click on the "!" button and the moderators can determine if the thread should be deleted, closed or the offensive post removed.

That is their job, afterall. And I think they do a good job of policing this forum.

Like anyone, an OP can report a post that is inappropriate according to the guidelines of the forum.

According to the guidelines, "Postings that have been placed on the boards to disrupt the flow of conversation or otherwise disrupt Cruise Critic members' enjoyment of the Community will be removed...

Also disrupting to the Community is Thread hijacking which is the act of trying to steer a web forum discussion thread off topic by discussing a subject entirely unrelated to the original topic. This would also include making references to the original poster, or even to OTHER posters, that have nothing to do with the subject at hand."

When I am the OP, I feel like I'm the keeper of the thread and I report posts that get disruptive.

If the OP feels that their thread has been attacked, either them personally or other posters, they can click on the "!" button and the moderators can determine if the thread should be deleted, closed or the offensive post removed.

That is their job, afterall. And I think they do a good job of policing this forum.

Well said, I totally agree

People would immediately abuse it. OPs would start muting/excluding anyone who didn't automatically agree with their opinion.

For example, a few weeks ago I had a bit of a rant about Royal's IT systems. If someone had replied saying "shut up, they're awesome, and here's some really good, well thought out reasons why" (oddly, no-one did ;) ), would it be reasonable if I had silenced them?

Similarly if someone started a thread saying "All ships should have mandatory public prayers before every meal", being able to exclude all the people who point out what an awful idea that it would leave you with a thread full of only people who agreed, giving a very slanted perspective.

That would be great -- then I could have ONLY the people I like or agree with post. Maybe I could also have the power to ban those I disagree agree with too

I hope this response is deemed appropriate -- I'd hate to be deleted.

You want to talk about an IT nightmare....

It has been a few years since I have done any website coding and databases but, I don't think it has advanced that much, that would allow for what you are suggesting.

If people can't deal with someone who has a different opinion, then maybe they shouldn't post. This forum is not here for everyone to agree, what would be the point? We need less victims and more ability to discuss without taking it personally.

I put up this post because I was curious what everyone thought. Lately in so many posts that I have read people are yelling at others, telling them they are stupid or insensitive.. Or all together missing the point of the post.

so ..... since so many people seem so irritated with others. I was curious what the response would be.

I do have to say that it's interesting that so many complain and yet they seem to want things to remain the same. Interesting experiment so far.

If people can't deal with someone who has a different opinion, then maybe they shouldn't post. This forum is not here for everyone to agree, what would be the point? We need less victims and more ability to discuss without taking it personally.

Truth

My question was not geared towards peoples difference of opinions or healthy debates. It was in regards to the thread hijackers, or the rude people that just op in to say something completely inappropriate and run.... That's what I was referring to..like the posts that say" OH MY GOD< I cant belive how much innacurate information is posted on here" things like that

With all of the Thread hijackers and the people that just want to attack other people in posts, and contribute absolutely nothing... I wonder if there could be or has ever been any thought to the OP having the power to remove a post from the conversation or mute it???/ Since it's their post and they are the ones asking for input, why not?

I know I can block any user I want and never have to listen to them.. but what about just silencing these awe full people from a post.. normally they just stir everyone up and drag a thread way off topic?

thoughts????

again I did this post out of curiosity of what the response would be. but please carefully read my question. It was not directed at healthy debate, I like all the information from the healthy debates. I have learned a lot on here.

If you think that clicking "I" is enough I get it.. and maybe that is the way it should be. but please try to direct your answers more specifically to the question I asked.

I put up this post because I was curious what everyone thought. Lately in so many posts that I have read people are yelling at others, telling them they are stupid or insensitive.. Or all together missing the point of the post.

so ..... since so many people seem so irritated with others. I was curious what the response would be.

I do have to say that it's interesting that so many complain and yet they seem to want things to remain the same. Interesting experiment so far.

If someone is insulting another poster (calling someone stupid is insulting to me, calling someone insensitive is not, they're both judgement calls), anyone from the OP to the person being "insulted" to anyone reading the thread can report that post. The mods can then look with an unbiased eye ;) on whether the post was inappropriate.

As far as "missing the point"... those should absolutely NOT be deleted. Someone might start a thread about laundry services on Oasis, someone responds comparing to Freedom, then someone talks about how all the linen was so clean on Freedom, the next person talks about how Freedom does their laundry service and next thing you know the thread has turned to all about Freedom.

I see internet threads as no different than a group of people talking. The conversation may stay on the original topic or it may move in a different one. The person who started the conversation doesn't get to force everyone to talk about what they want, right?

thank you for actually understanding the question I was posing and responding directly to that question. (this is an example of a healthy debate)

If someone is insulting another poster (calling someone stupid is insulting to me, calling someone insensitive is not, they're both judgement calls), anyone from the OP to the person being "insulted" to anyone reading the thread can report that post. The mods can then look with an unbiased eye ;) on whether the post was inappropriate.

As far as "missing the point"... those should absolutely NOT be deleted. Someone might start a thread about laundry services on Oasis, someone responds comparing to Freedom, then someone talks about how all the linen was so clean on Freedom, the next person talks about how Freedom does their laundry service and next thing you know the thread has turned to all about Freedom.

I see internet threads as no different than a group of people talking. The conversation may stay on the original topic or it may move in a different one. The person who started the conversation doesn't get to force everyone to talk about what they want, right?

I completely understand your point about the unbiased eye of the moderator, and you make a great point.

I don't however agree with your comment about the change in direction of a thread. To me that's like going to the library and getting a book on how to build an engine in a ford mustang, and the last three chapters are about the trunk release on a dodge charger.

I (which is only my opinion) would prefer a thread to follow that topic. It's so much easier to do a search and get quick, proper information... and If, in truth, we are helping the op with their questions, to talk about something completely different then what they were asking seems unhelpful...

I completely understand your point about the unbiased eye of the moderator, and you make a great point.

I don't however agree with your comment about the change in direction of a thread. To me that's like going to the library and getting a book on how to build an engine in a ford mustang, and the last three chapters are about the trunk release on a dodge charger.

I (which is only my opinion) would prefer a thread to follow that topic. It's so much easier to do a search and get quick, proper information... and If, in truth, we are helping the op with their questions, to talk about something completely different then what they were asking seems unhelpful...

In your example the publishers should have caught that problem prior to the book going to print. In reality each poster is their own publisher, and if they find a problem after they post they have a small window to edit it. That's why I proof read my previews before posting.

A forum is like a discussion, just on line as SAMJR stated. It weaves back and forth, and mainly on topic. There are a few CCers that feel that they are moderators and say "get back on topic" on some threads, and other CCers tell them off and remind them that they don't have the authority. In essence the moderators are our "supervisors" of their playground. They built it and we can use it free of charge. They keep folks in line if rules are broke and issue a warning or kick someone out if need be. If you question the mods, you could face their tribunal.

Yes topics do get sideways some times, but many things on line go that way too. You might go to you tube to look for a video on Oasis of the Seas and literally two clicks later you are at Montey Pythons top 10 video moments. Overall posters are really good staying on topic, but if there is a problem the ! is there for a reason.

thoughts????

A couple years ago, there was a moderator over on the Carnival forum who started several threads and had a bad habit of bashing other cruise lines and flaming anyone who wasn't such a huge Carnival fan. He moderated his own threads and moderated other threads in a very biased manner. He was a classic example of why people on these anonymous boards should not have the power to control even their own threads. Granted, he was a moderator, so can you imagine how it would go if some of the other keyboard commandos on these boards had that ability?

I'd prefer things stay just as they are. I actually like that we can comment to the mods and provide context when we hit the red triangle.

My question was not geared towards peoples difference of opinions or healthy debates. It was in regards to the thread hijackers, or the rude people that just op in to say something completely inappropriate and run.... That's what I was referring to..like the posts that say" OH MY GOD< I cant belive how much innacurate information is posted on here" things like that

It still applies. My point is the site is here for discussion, unless someone is breaking forum rules, some need to quit being so offended so easily by someone they will probably never meet. If someone wants to go off topic, then someone else usually lets them know. Letting an OP moderate is basically giving them their own forum, which if they want, they can set up themselves. There are a few who would love to moderate their own thread and steer it exactly they way they want it. That's not a discussion forum, that's a forum where people are being dictated to. You do have to admit there are some that are very thin skinned. And, don't get me started on those that post only because they want others to agree with them.

I also think when you "think" you see a lot of people unhappy with the direction of a thread or feel they are "attacked" a lot of the time you're seeing the same people stating the same thing. If you notice, there are some posters who always go the the "cheerleader" accusation and others who do nothing but complain about food, shows, etc. I could name a couple of posters who everytime someone supports RCI, they call them "cheerleaders". I could also name a couple of posters who think they are owed something everytime something isn't perfect. Then, there is one poster in particular who has a very high post count, but constantly gives incorrect or bad information, which appears to be only to increase their numbers. This one poster never, ever admits they are wrong and just continue to hit (post) and run. But, even so, an OP should not be able to delete posts because they don't like them. We don't need "group think" here. We get enough of that in our everyday life.

Edited by BND