Too Many Complaints, Not Enough Information.

Desertbelle

OK, I'll probably get flamed for this, but I find annoying when someone write in and asks a question of the simplest basic nature that would be answered with the most basic tiny bit of effort by either looking at a website or asking a TA, like "What perks do I get with the suite I booked?" For Pete's sake, if you booked a suite you should already know what you signed up for! Look at the website! It's all there!

Here's the thing - Celebrity's website is not always accurate and up to date and I'm sure there are TAs out there that are also misinformed and even on the ships themselves sometimes the crew and staff don't even know the correct information.

It seems people like to hear first hand reports of what others have just experienced themselves while actually cruising.

OK, I'll probably get flamed for this, but I find annoying when someone write in and asks a question of the simplest basic nature that would be answered with the most basic tiny bit of effort by either looking at a website or asking a TA, like "What perks do I get with the suite I booked?" For Pete's sake, if you booked a suite you should already know what you signed up for! Look at the website! It's all there!

I think that many of us on CC are fairly sophisticated travelers, researching and planning our cruise vacations to the max. But, my experience with talking to the general public about cruising and vacation planning, is that most people haven't a clue.

I ask people, what ship/cruise line they are going to be on? They don't remember. What islands are you stopping at? They think maybe St. Thomas. I ask them when are they getting to the port? They think a few hours before the cruise starts. I ask if they have planned any excursions? They say they are going to look at that when they get to the ship. On and on. I remember reading here a few years ago about a Doctor and his wife forgetting to leave for their cruise!! :eek: I don't think that would ever happen to most CC members!

I don't mind answering the simple questions because maybe the process of doing a better job of planning a cruise starts with asking that first simple question and finding out there is a lot more to know then just booking a cruise and showing up on time.

I've been a member on CC for 15 years, and when I first started reading and posting, I found members to be informative, courteous, rarely snarky, and eager to share their valuable cruise information.

It's unfortunate that so many people live with a sense of entitlement and wrapped up in their "me" world.

Do I miss the "good ole days"? Yes and no. Yes...because people were kinder to one another...no...I like change and value it's worth.

Karyn

Karyn,

I am from the Woodstock/Vietnam era. I thought that was a real messed up time. Now more than ever, everything is upside down crazy. I say, if people feel they have to vent, so be it. What might be minor to you and me, might be massive to them. There are tooo many rules for everything and always an exception to them. As you say, stagnation is not the answer, but what is!:confused: I can't miss the old days, they bought too much sadness and despair to the new days. I am praying for change, for the better!

The problem is that the Celebrity website is often ambiguous, travel agents work with many cruise lines and the information probably gets crossed,ask two different Celebrity agents the same question and you are sure to get two different answers. When it comes to getting correct and up to date information I'll place my money on the members of Cruise Critic.

I think you need to reread my original post. Then check the dictionary for the definition of "lament".

Regardless of how anyone else may choose to characterize it, I found your original post to be thought-provoking and well written. I appreciate you for sharing your observations with us. :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

Cruise Critic still a great source of info and a fun way to connect with fellow pax..Still fun to share good wishes, menus, photos, cabin info, stories, travel and booking tips!

I think more posts are negative recently because Celebrity has been evolving...It used to be a truly special experience to cruise on X. How lucky we were to enjoy it!

Now it is a just another travel product...so lends itself to more conversation about value..service, etc...

at least the "good, better, best" threads have given us a rest from loud djs and canned music, dress code etc.....

The website, however, remains a source of irriration in most everyone's cruise planning day!

It's the same on every board. I frequent the RCI board the most because we have mostly cruised with them, but there is just as much negativity on the Celebrity, Princess, HAL, and other boards. It's the nature of the beast.

If you check in, look around, log off, it's not a bad thing. I'm so glad we have the power of choice in life.. the choice to move along if we don't like a particular thread, the choice to contribute if we feel we have something to say.

WHATEVER HAPPENS - we are all blessed to be cruising. :)

I'm afraid my negative thread regarding our refund was based on what I think has been really poor service and it's still ongoing with a mistake being made by Celebrity as now confirmed. I'm hoping to be able to give a great review on our return but there are a good few issues with Celebrity at the moment that they do need to address. Their website, admin, and communication is a real mess for a self promoting "modern luxury" product.

I have learned about whether other ladies wear slips under their dresses

And whether pantyhose is still customary on formal night

What beverages are included in the classic package

I added to our obc with reading of a thread about a promotion I had thought I wasn't entitled to

I have been flamed and

I have answered ?s when I could help someone

A mixed bag to be sure but a lot to love about Cruise Critic

Cruise Critic still a great source of info and a fun way to connect with fellow pax..Still fun to share good wishes, menus, photos, cabin info, stories, travel and booking tips!

I think more posts are negative recently because Celebrity has been evolving...It used to be a truly special experience to cruise on X. How lucky we were to enjoy it!

Now it is a just another travel product...so lends itself to more conversation about value..service, etc...

at least the "good, better, best" threads have given us a rest from loud djs and canned music, dress code etc.....

The website, however, remains a source of irriration in most everyone's cruise planning day!

To clarify, the website that is irritating is Celebrity not Cruise Critic.....hope no one misunderstood!

Edited by hcat

First let me say that my wife & I enjoyed every cruise we have taken.

We have been very fortunate to meet some really nice passengers & exchange ideas & stories. Many of these couples have been from countries outside of the USA. This alone has certainly improved & enhanced the quality of our trip.

If we were to complain about anything on an ocean cruise it likely would about the weather, policy changes effecting the cruise line, or the inability of Guest Services to resolve the situation for the customer. Still this would be only discussed among ourselves. Sometimes we gain insight as to where & how we should proceed, should we ever encounter the same situation. So Cruise Critic has always been a valuable source of information for us. ( we learn from the members ) both positive & negative.

Personally I find the whiners & complainers posts entertaining or don't bother to read them all. ( we all have choices )

We choose our trips carefully & do a lot of pre-planning. I don't like surprises. However, if we have to adjust, we do it quickly & quietly... trying to make the best of the situation. Being positive really helps...

Things like food, entertainment, quality of service by staff, etc are all subjective. Many people I believe travelling today, have too great of an expectation & did not properly research the information pertinent to their trip. Most staffers around the ship work very hard & long hours. A kind word goes much further, than a command. Many travelers begin sentences with I need____ or bring me that___ ? Show some courtesy to the staff & your fellow passengers. Your voyage will become much more pleasurable.

We are all fortunate to have the ability to travel. Leave all the worries of life on shore & just have a great time enjoying the ship & your excursions. We have a wonderful bank full of very fond memories & some pictures to help us remember all the good times.

Is any cruise/land travel perfect ? If you have experienced that, I say hooray for you. As once explained to me many years ago.

" the worst hole on the golf course is better than the best hole in the office "

Happy Travels, John

First let me say that my wife & I enjoyed every cruise we have taken.

We have been very fortunate to meet some really nice passengers & exchange ideas & stories. Many of these couples have been from countries outside of the USA. This alone has certainly improved & enhanced the quality of our trip.

If we were to complain about anything on an ocean cruise it likely would about the weather, policy changes effecting the cruise line, or the inability of Guest Services to resolve the situation for the customer. Still this would be only discussed among ourselves. Sometimes we gain insight as to where & how we should proceed, should we ever encounter the same situation. So Cruise Critic has always been a valuable source of information for us. ( we learn from the members ) both positive & negative.

Personally I find the whiners & complainers posts entertaining or don't bother to read them all. ( we all have choices )

We choose our trips carefully & do a lot of pre-planning. I don't like surprises. However, if we have to adjust, we do it quickly & quietly... trying to make the best of the situation. Being positive really helps...

Things like food, entertainment, quality of service by staff, etc are all subjective. Many people I believe travelling today, have too great of an expectation & did not properly research the information pertinent to their trip. Most staffers around the ship work very hard & long hours. A kind word goes much further, than a command. Many travelers begin sentences with I need____ or bring me that___ ? Show some courtesy to the staff & your fellow passengers. Your voyage will become much more pleasurable.

We are all fortunate to have the ability to travel. Leave all the worries of life on shore & just have a great time enjoying the ship & your excursions. We have a wonderful bank full of very fond memories & some pictures to help us remember all the good times.

Is any cruise/land travel perfect ? If you have experienced that, I say hooray for you. As once explained to me many years ago.

" the worst hole on the golf course is better than the best hole in the office "

Happy Travels, John

Beautifully said.

I've been a member since the AOL days, (just never carried over my post count when the change was made), and I do think CC has changed over the years from an information board to a more social forum.

I think the general tone of the boards has evolved as social media has become such a big part of many peoples lives? CC has become much more "chatty" since Facebook and Twitter started.

The thing I don't like about the forum is not people complaining about Celebrity, it's the way some posters put others points of view down. It's the way of the Internet generally these days where I believe people feel safe insulting others the way they never would if talking face to face. But other than that I enjoy reading the positive and negative as you learn something from both.

The thing I don't like about the forum is not people complaining about Celebrity, it's the way some posters put others points of view down. It's the way of the Internet generally these days where I believe people feel safe insulting others the way they never would if talking face to face. But other than that I enjoy reading the positive and negative as you learn something from both.

+1

I agree

I have learned about whether other ladies wear slips under their dresses

And whether pantyhose is still customary on formal night

What beverages are included in the classic package

I added to our obc with reading of a thread about a promotion I had thought I wasn't entitled to

I have been flamed and

I have answered ?s when I could help someone

A mixed bag to be sure but a lot to love about Cruise Critic

Ditto and will add that sometimes I have learned more from people complaining than from Rah! Rah! Rah! cheerleads which seem to be slim to none these days on the Celebrity board.

Ditto and will add that sometimes I have learned more from people complaining than from Rah! Rah! Rah! cheerleads which seem to be slim to none these days on the Celebrity board.

I agree. Complaints give you an expectation of things you might encounter. I learned this after I went to my first all-inclusive. I chose it based on the overwhelming positive reviews on another site. However, the handful of complaints all centered around a specific issue, and it turns out they were right on the nose about it. In general, you can throw out the greatest compliments and the worst of the worst reviews and figure out what you can expect.