Too Many Complaints, Not Enough Information.

Desertbelle

It seems that I come to the regular forums on Cruise Critic less and less because most of the threads are complaints and negative comments.

I am not one of those "in the old days" kind of person, but it did seem that there was more positive, supportive and humorous threads years ago when I first joined and I do miss that.

These days I log in to my roll calls, and log off, barely giving the other forums even a glance.

Is it just me or has it changed?

In an effort to be politically correct; I feel people seem grumpier than they used to. This is a cruise forum after all. I love the threads that are humerous and the reviews.

Hi Margie! :) As a long-time poster yourself, don't you think that these things tend to go in 'waves'? Over the years, that's what I've observed, anyway.

Right now, I think these boards are in a bit of a down-turn. Folks around here are trying to make heads or tails of this new booking promo/pricing scheme -- and, many of us are not too happy with what we're learning. Add to this the confusing/contradictory information being given out by the X booking reps and FCC's (and don't even get me started on the X website :eek:). But, things on the old X boards just don't seem very encouraging, at the moment. :(

It used to be this site was a great information resource, and it still is on occasion.

But more often than not anymore it's entertainment.

Sad really, but it is what it is, and for the price of admission a fair value.

I find that about 25% of the threads are of interest to me and perhaps 25% of the posts within them. Some questions are asked and answered in the first couple of posts, but they go on for pages. Having said that, this seems to be the nature of boards generally and I accept that as part of the price to pay for those occasional nuggets of information.

So you started a thread complaining about too many complaint postings. ?

I think too many people complain about those that complain about complaining.

Is that a complaint😀

Seriously, you should have been around when Royal took over Celebrity. Everything was blamed on the merger, it really was funny.

For better or worse, this is a "Cruise Critic" forum!

A definition of "critic"

a person who expresses an unfavorable opinion of something.

"critics say many schools are not prepared to handle the influx of foreign students"

synonyms: detractor, attacker, fault-finder, backseat driver, gadfly

"critics of the government"

For better or worse, this is a "Cruise Critic" forum!

A definition of "critic"

a person who expresses an unfavorable opinion of something.

"critics say many schools are not prepared to handle the influx of foreign students"

synonyms: detractor, attacker, fault-finder, backseat driver, gadfly

"critics of the government"

Ah, but you forgot the other portion of the definition:

a : one who expresses a reasoned opinion on any matter especially involving a judgment of its value, truth, righteousness, beauty, or technique

b : one who engages often professionally in the analysis, evaluation, or appreciation of works of art or artistic performances

: one given to harsh or captious judgment

In other words, a critic is not necessarily negative.

I don't think there is anything new here. I am one of those that often refers to the "old " days. About 20 years ago those of us that had been cruising for 10 yrs more started seeing changes and were very verbal about where the cruise product was going. Newbies laughed at us and couldn't understand what our problem was. Now those same people are seeing their beloved product change and are reacting the same way. The only thing you can be sure of in this life is that everything changes eventually. I still love cruising. I think the current climate on these boards will calm down as everyone adjusts to the new reality.

I don't think there is anything new here. I am one of those that often refers to the "old " days. About 20 years ago those of us that had been cruising for 10 yrs more started seeing changes and were very verbal about where the cruise product was going. Newbies laughed at us and couldn't understand what our problem was. Now those same people are seeing their beloved product change and are reacting the same way. The only thing you can be sure of in this life is that everything changes eventually. I still love cruising. I think the current climate on these boards will calm down as everyone adjusts to the new reality.

In general, I agree. We've been cruising for about 40 years and while cruise lines have always sought to make a profit, the way they get it today is different than the "old days". Years ago the profit was in the basic cruise fare, drinks were very cheap, food was great, etc. Today, we live in a world of supplemental fees, high price drinks, extra cost specialty restaurants, sometimes entertainment, costly hotel or tour add ons, etc (similiar to airlines). I also agree that you have to analyze the cruise lines promotions to see if the sale fares are really a sale!.

One other observation about cc. SO many of the current thread topics are repeats of the same subject. I wonder if some posters know how to research on cc. Oh well!!!

Edited by dabear

You can go to most all cruise line boards on CC and find almost the exact same complaints...just insert your cruise line. It does seem people get really bent out of shape when some minor issue happens and are surprised when they are not offered a free cruise or a personal visit from the Captain.

OK, I'll probably get flamed for this, but I find annoying when someone write in and asks a question of the simplest basic nature that would be answered with the most basic tiny bit of effort by either looking at a website or asking a TA, like "What perks do I get with the suite I booked?" For Pete's sake, if you booked a suite you should already know what you signed up for! Look at the website! It's all there!

I have only been on one Celebrity cruise two years ago. I can't believe how much has changed it those 2 years. None of the changes really effect me except the new pricing but I can understand how someone who has been sailing for years on the same line can appreciate the difference. Princess is my first line choice and the only complaints I have read about are about the new ships. They don't seem to be cutting back or reinventing themselves like Celebrity is. They also have a new CEO

Edited by Iamcruzin

OK, I'll probably get flamed for this, but I find annoying when someone write in and asks a question of the simplest basic nature that would be answered with the most basic tiny bit of effort by either looking at a website or asking a TA, like "What perks do I get with the suite I booked?" For Pete's sake, if you booked a suite you should already know what you signed up for! Look at the website! It's all there!

The problem is that the experience of CC members is frequently at odds with the information that is found on Celebrity or other lines' websites.

I've been a member on CC for 15 years, and when I first started reading and posting, I found members to be informative, courteous, rarely snarky, and eager to share their valuable cruise information.

It's unfortunate that so many people live with a sense of entitlement and wrapped up in their "me" world.

Do I miss the "good ole days"? Yes and no. Yes...because people were kinder to one another...no...I like change and value it's worth.

Karyn

I've been a member on CC for 15 years, and when I first started reading and posting, I found members to be informative, courteous, rarely snarky, and eager to share their valuable cruise information.

It's unfortunate that so many people live with a sense of entitlement and wrapped up in their "me" world.

Do I miss the "good ole days"? Yes and no. Yes...because people were kinder to one another...no...I like change and value it's worth.

Karyn

I agree with this.

Happy people don't comment.

Melissa

Some unhappy people don't comment, they just leave and never come back. Some unhappy people, like us complain because it breaks our heart to see the best product, by far, out there, morph into a overpriced run of the mill cruise line. We didn't always feel like that. We've had 14 wonderful cruises on Celebrity, but the last three have been just average. They were on two of the newer ships, over a six month time span. That is not a fluke, that's the new normal. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, this is ours.

I tend to agree with you and sometimes the questions get even simpler...