Independence Aug 2, 2015 Sold Out! **Really**??

They were told that the ships was entirely full with no spaces what so ever. This was not true, we actually found out through various methods that there were several empty cabins. (not just a few)Can someone please tell me what this is about. Is it RCC just trying to look good.

If many cabins had 3,4 people in them, as many do during the summer, it could be a lifeboat issue. They can only hold so many people in the lifeboats.

Well I am sailing on IOS 9/13/15 and so far I have not seen any price drops since final payment. I am wanting to upgrade from an inside to a balcony and I am willing to pay to do it. Now after seeing this piece of news I sure hope that they will do some price drops if these cabins are not selling.

A friend of ours tried at the last minute to go on a cruise on the Explorer in June, we were already on the cruise. They were told that the ships was entirely full with no spaces what so ever. This was not true, we actually found out through various methods that there were several empty cabins. (not just a few)

Can someone please tell me what this is about.

Is it RCC just trying to look good.

I am sure that on every cruise there are empty cabins due to last minute cancellations, death, illness, missed connections or incorrect travel documents, just to name a few. If these no shows account for half of a percent, then that would leave 9 cabins empty from a total of 1817 cabins.

And unlike airlines cruise don't overbook to stop spaces going empty.

We will be on the August 2 sailing of the IOS....someone posted on our roll call about two different large groups on the cruise. One was a Star Wars group, the other had to do with "Back to the Future" movie group.........not sure how many but could effect availability...???

A friend of ours tried at the last minute to go on a cruise on the Explorer in June, we were already on the cruise. They were told that the ships was entirely full with no spaces what so ever. This was not true, we actually found out through various methods that there were several empty cabins. (not just a few)

The number of cabins on the ship does not determine when a ship is full.

This is determined by the numer of lifeboat spaces. If there is a large number of three or four person cabins filled up, they will not be able to use some of the two person rooms.

The number of cabins on the ship does not determine when a ship is full.

This is determined by the numer of lifeboat spaces. If there is a large number of three or four person cabins filled up, they will not be able to use some of the two person rooms.

Exactly what I was going to say. "Full/Sold Out" does NOT mean every cabin is booked; it means that every available lifeboat seat is accounted for.

Once the specified number of spaces in lifeboats is reached no more cabins can be booked. It is that simple.

Cabins with more than two occupants during peak periods account for this happening.

RCI keeping you safe as required by International requirements!

No big surprise, don't know why you would think it is??????:cool:

off season... yea, it is summer break - but it is really HOT in August. I guess the ecomony is better and the ships are filling up. Also, with the new bigger ships I assume there is more capacity. All is Good! :-)

I've Been watching the majesty for the last 3 days since enchantment was booked for July 31 price holding steady at $1093 for OV only 15 cabins left. Still no price drop. Don't care if I go or not just seeing if I will see a drop before sailing.

$182 a night pp is kinda expensive I think for a 3 night on an old tub like her majesty. Which I have been on twice and am not saying anything bad about her it's just expensive for a short get away.

$182 a night pp is kinda expensive I think for a 3 night on an old tub like her majesty. Which I have been on twice and am not saying anything bad about her it's just expensive for a short get away.

We paid close to that for Enchantment this past Easter. Booked the Sunday before the cruise

Here you go, From Miami Herald, link below

On Monday, the head of Miami-based Royal Caribbean Cruises said his company had adopted a policy in March to do away with last-minute booking discounts on cruises longer than two- to four nights in North America. He said depending on the type of cruise, “last minute” might be 10, 20 or 30 days from the sailing date.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article19037190.html#storylink=cpy

This remind me of the announcement for oasis class that's was going to be dynamic dinning only. Months later, oasis class won't be dynamic dinning :-)

If many cabins had 3,4 people in them, as many do during the summer, it could be a lifeboat issue. They can only hold so many people in the lifeboats.

There was only a handful of children on the cruise. There was also rather more then 9 cabins that were empty.

I,d have been surprised if the Aug 2 cruise was NOT sold out by now. it is peak season for family travel.

Today 26/7/15 according to a British agent, Explorer of the seas has cabins available for the 9/8/15, 23/8/15, 2/9/15 etc. also Independence of the seas has also got cabins available for certain sailing in Aug. and Sept.

So perhaps they are being offered to the British market first, perhaps because we pay more for a cabin than in America

off season... yea, it is summer break - but it is really HOT in August. I guess the ecomony is better and the ships are filling up. Also, with the new bigger ships I assume there is more capacity. All is Good! :-)
Summer is peak season. Not surprised at all.

A couple of reasons this is true. In the summer months, school is out so more families and teachers are cruising. If Royal is the cruise line of choice, and you want to sail a week from South Florida to the Caribbean your choices are very limited. The Oasis or the Independence. So its likely they will be sold out quickly.

There use to be a time, people would avoid hurricane season and these ships would have great last minute deals. I have not seen last minute deals at all since they made that announcement no more last minute deals. I guess their logic worked.

I think we are also seeing the effect of the BOGO sale in May 2014. I know I still have one more cruise next spring I bought under that. [i only booked 2--what a mistake :mad:]

There was a huge booking frenzy when that first started and prices were good. I know people that booked multiple cruises. Ships filed up fast. I think people are keeping those bookings because they will not get a deal like that again. By 2017 all of those will be gone. Sure they are still running "sales"--but, we know they are trying to lure first time cruisers with these. Veteran cruisers look at those "sale" prices and say WHAT. :confused:

The agent may have a hold on those cabins - would have to book through them. The cabins would be considered "sold" if you checked on line to book with RC or a different agent. When the agent doesn't sell the cabins they will release them.

Tried to book a cruise that friends were booked on that was showing sold out

and this is what RC told me. Said to keep checking.

This was in response to post 42 above - forgot to quote.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles