Azamara's Assessment of Safety in Istanbul ?

scottie99

I do not wish to upset or frighten anyone on this cruise but a UK national newspaper is publicising a warning from the UK foreign office advising British tourists to avoid travelling on public transport in Turkey.

I know little more than what I have read but believe the warning was issued yesterday.

Suggest travellers on this cruise do a little further research or perhaps check the Foreign Office's website.

Appreciate that this is not welcome news but just wanted everyone to be aware.

Stay safe and have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks for the heads up Hazel. I had a look at the FCO website and it's issued specific information for Istanbul. I intend to see this city, but will avoid public transport as recommended.

Phil

We are in Istanbul overnight before we join the Journey next week. We intend to look at the foreign office website before we travel but are looking forward to enjoying Istanbul. I do believe you have to be vigilant when you travel these days but as the alternative is to stay at home. ( in the rain ) we are looking forward to the whole experience.

Honestly this cruise is going to be brilliant as firstly the itinerary changed from the Black Sea due to conflict, then Greece tried to go bankrupt, now Turkey is experiencing unrest and yet still over 600 cruisers will be heading joyfully to the Journey.

This says a lot to us newbies about the type of cruiser who uses Azamara ( I hope :D)

Happy and safe travels to All.

I couldn't agree more...we have the BEST TRAVELERS at sea and ashore. Thank you to all of you :)

Thanks for the heads up Hazel. I had a look at the FCO website and it's issued specific information for Istanbul. I intend to see this city, but will avoid public transport as recommended.

Phil

Having been to IST 6 times may I recommend the trams. Yes, I know they are public transportation but they are the best way to get around. I guess there is just something about being above ground and being able to get off quickly, if needed, as opposed to a subway, that makes me OK taking them.

If not please be prepared for massive traffic, no matter where you go. The traffic is awful in IST. I am a walker and I walked from the port to the Old City.

We were in Istanbul a couple of weeks ago on a Seabourn cruise and no one was allowed off the ship unless it was a Seabourn sponsored tour. Anti capitalism demonstrations were taking place and the bridge was blocked into old Istanbul. No taxis were running. We took one of the Seabourn sponsored tours and were fine, however our group really stuck together. Beautiful and interesting city.

I have done some travelling and have never felt threatened. My wife says I am too trusting. I refuse to allow terrorist to intimidate me. There is no place in this world that one is safe. I will still go to the movie theater in Louisiana.

Don’t go to New Orleans or Chicago if you are afraid of violence in Istanbul. Istanbul is safer then those cities.

I was planning a trip to Israel last year and threats made them close the Airport in Tel-Aviv one day. I had to cancel my trip, but it was because of my knee not because of Hamas. On one trip to Israel the bus driver told us that if we saw any strange packages that we didn’t recognize to notify him. Just pay attention.

I once was on a cruise that stopped in Buenos Aires and I had made previous arrangements for a private tour. I got with the wrong person because I didn’t go far enough to see my name on a sign. I became the mark and it was a great setup. While getting out of a van a man came on a dead run and grabbed my right shoulder with his right hand and my l left wrist with his left hand and had my $20,000 Rolex gone in a flash. It was a very cool setup and a cool move put on me. All my fault because I got with the wrong person and because I forgot my watch was worth something. I had worn it every day for 20 years. I thought of it as a watch. I just forgot

and made two mistakes. I would go back to Buenos Aires in a minute. It is a beautiful city with beautiful people. (most of them)

I have been on a cruise ship and we hit another ship. I will not stop cruising because I love it. I have been cruising to Antarctica after a ship hit a berg and sank.

When I first visited Istanbul we just got off the ship and got a cab and toured. The driver would go to the best areas and seemed to know his way around in the traffic. I kept his card and nine years later when back to Istanbul showed his card to a cab driver when I got off the ship and was taken to the same cab driver. While walking in the Grand Bazaar he dropped back and whispered in my ear. “Different Wife”. I felt like I was safer in Istanbul than at home. Having a cab driver to buy the Topkapi tickets take us to good restaurants and other things was a plus and that is how I would tour Istanbul and have the cab driver walk with you in the Grand Bazaar. I have read that it is quicker to get around if you take the trams, but I would need a guide with me. I kind of like the cab driver better since he drops us off, parks his car and comes back to us. Less walking.

In Egypt they use violence to deter tourist and hurt the Egyptian economy. Would I go to Egypt again? You bet.

I would be more afraid of Mexico than anywhere else, but would still go to Mexico.

The Azamara crew and officers visit Istanbul and walk around the city and can give personal observations to their superiors if they notice anything suspicious.

My advice: Do not let terrorist and terrorist threats dictate your life or you are already dead.

Wise advice Scapel and generally I agree with you.

However I think some sensible precautions are in order to minimise risks. At present I would not go to Egypt or Tunisia...in fact our recent HAL Zuiderdam cruise was due to stop at La Goulette but the decision was taken to go to Olbia on Sardinia instead. A very wise decision by HAL I think, in view of the terrorist attacks in Tunisia.

I would have absolutely no hesitation in visiting fascinating Istanbul, but I wouldn't risk public transport or the area around Taksim Sq just at the moment. Just stick to Sultanhmet area where most of the sights are and use taxi's or walk. I'm not frightened per se...But it just seems sensible to me to minimise potential risks. I love Istanbul though.

Scapel, I really enjoyed your post.

Is it appropriate to ask the name of your taxi driver in Istanbul? Can he be contacted by means of email?

Thanks for considering this, we'll be back in Istanbul soon and are looking to go beyond the usual historic sites.

Wise advice Scapel and generally I agree with you.

But it just seems sensible to me to minimise potential risks. I love Istanbul though.

Right, I bring my wife to keep me "sensible". She is American Indian descent and has amazing "sensing skills." If a cruise line cancels a port, you can bet there was a good reason, so go along with them and don't complain.

I have done some travelling and have never felt threatened. My wife says I am too trusting. I refuse to allow terrorist to intimidate me. There is no place in this world that one is safe. I will still go to the movie theater in Louisiana.

Don’t go to New Orleans or Chicago if you are afraid of violence in Istanbul. Istanbul is safer then those cities.

I was planning a trip to Israel last year and threats made them close the Airport in Tel-Aviv one day. I had to cancel my trip, but it was because of my knee not because of Hamas. On one trip to Israel the bus driver told us that if we saw any strange packages that we didn’t recognize to notify him. Just pay attention.

I once was on a cruise that stopped in Buenos Aires and I had made previous arrangements for a private tour. I got with the wrong person because I didn’t go far enough to see my name on a sign. I became the mark and it was a great setup. While getting out of a van a man came on a dead run and grabbed my right shoulder with his right hand and my l left wrist with his left hand and had my $20,000 Rolex gone in a flash. It was a very cool setup and a cool move put on me. All my fault because I got with the wrong person and because I forgot my watch was worth something. I had worn it every day for 20 years. I thought of it as a watch. I just forgot

and made two mistakes. I would go back to Buenos Aires in a minute. It is a beautiful city with beautiful people. (most of them)

I have been on a cruise ship and we hit another ship. I will not stop cruising because I love it. I have been cruising to Antarctica after a ship hit a berg and sank.

When I first visited Istanbul we just got off the ship and got a cab and toured. The driver would go to the best areas and seemed to know his way around in the traffic. I kept his card and nine years later when back to Istanbul showed his card to a cab driver when I got off the ship and was taken to the same cab driver. While walking in the Grand Bazaar he dropped back and whispered in my ear. “Different Wife”. I felt like I was safer in Istanbul than at home. Having a cab driver to buy the Topkapi tickets take us to good restaurants and other things was a plus and that is how I would tour Istanbul and have the cab driver walk with you in the Grand Bazaar. I have read that it is quicker to get around if you take the trams, but I would need a guide with me. I kind of like the cab driver better since he drops us off, parks his car and comes back to us. Less walking.

In Egypt they use violence to deter tourist and hurt the Egyptian economy. Would I go to Egypt again? You bet.

I would be more afraid of Mexico than anywhere else, but would still go to Mexico.

The Azamara crew and officers visit Istanbul and walk around the city and can give personal observations to their superiors if they notice anything suspicious.

My advice: Do not let terrorist and terrorist threats dictate your life or you are already dead.

Very well said !!!

Scapel, I really enjoyed your post.

Is it appropriate to ask the name of your taxi driver in Istanbul? Can he be contacted by means of email?

Thanks for considering this, we'll be back in Istanbul soon and are looking to go beyond the usual historic sites.

I had the cab driver in 1979 and 1988, but haven’t communicated with him since.

I don’t think we had e-mail then. I was planning on trying to call him at the number I had, but Istanbul has redone numbers and I’m not sure how to call him. I wrote the manager of the Wyndham Old City and asked him to see if he could find him, but no result.

I was planning on trying to call him in September and see if I could reach him.

I was going to try 011 to get the overseas operator and then 90 for Turkey.

He may not even be alive now, but one never knows so I will make a try using Pennytalk, which is not too expensive to call if it works. Istanbul is 8 hours ahead of our CST in the US so I had to pick a decent time.

NOTE ON TURKEY’S COUNTRY CALLING CODE IS 90

Turkey went from six (2+4) to seven digits (3+4) local phone numbers c.1988, at which time Ankara went from 41 to 4. There used to be more than 5000 local area codes of varying lengths (one to five digits) with correspondingly varying local number lengths (seven to three digits).

The new system is based on 83 three-digit area codes for provinces and seven digit local phone numbers. Istanbul is the exception and it gets two area codes ((212) for the European and (216) for the Asian side).

Calling a cell phone from outside Turkey is the same except the three digit numbers are replaced with the ones of the companies. Like [9] + [0] + [cell company id number] + [seven digit number]. The following are the company identification numbers for the major mobile telephone providers: Turkcell (530-539), Vodafone (540-549) and Avea (500-509 and 550-559).

Local numbers in most areas were also changed in conjunction with the numbering plan that took effect 1 August 1993.

If a former area code is indicated, this is for the major centre in the new area codes district. The new area codes will also replace former area codes other than the primary one mentioned.

I was planning on using the Europe prefix of 212 first.

The number on the card is :145 74 42, but it is 27 years old. If I don’t get him which is the most probable result I will get concierge help at the hotel in looking up his name.

This is what I was going to try.

Atila Gungor Tourist Taxi Nr 26

011 90 212 145 74 42 and it would be a miracle if that got anything.

I have his card scanned in my computer with his picture as a .pdf and I can e-mail it, but don’t know how to post it on CC. Surely he has retired by now, but maybe I could drag him out or retirement. Be nice to have him pick me up at the airport.

Yep, my wife and kids say I have too much time on my hands.

Dr.Joe

Scapel,

Thanks so much for the update. Given the dates involved, you are no doubt correct and he has moved on to a well-earned retirement.

And as for too much time on your hands, suggesting a waste of same, not so!

I admire your commitment and dedication to a task, and your detective skills. This would be a fun investigation and your pursuit suggests an admirable passion. But most of all, I admire your devotion to keeping your records in an accessible format. Personally, I have much to improve in this area.

Hope all of your cruises provide an opportunity for your remarkable engagement.

Scapel,

Thanks so much for the update. Given the dates involved, you are no doubt correct and he has moved on to a well-earned retirement.

And as for too much time on your hands, suggesting a waste of same, not so!

I admire your commitment and dedication to a task, and your detective skills. This would be a fun investigation and your pursuit suggests an admirable passion. But most of all, I admire your devotion to keeping your records in an accessible format. Personally, I have much to improve in this area.

Hope all of your cruises provide an opportunity for your remarkable engagement.

Thank you.

I have his card scanned in my computer with his picture as a .pdf and I can e-mail it, but don’t know how to post it on CC.

Probably not relevant for that particular info, but for future reference -1) there is a forum here on using the board, its tech, etc. Except I can't remember where it is without leaving this open dialog box:o

Ah, here - "Need Help Using the Boards" - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

To upload an attachment (photo or pdf) look below the open dialog box where you're typing your post to see "Attach Files..." with a box that says "Manage Attachments" and click that. It also shows the types of files ("extensions") that can be attached - bmp doc docx gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt xls

When you click that button, you can browse your computer for the appropriate file and upload it! (or you can link a URL if you have a photo/document online already)

Hope that helps someone who might want to attach something in the future!