Hello Newbie Here

bobupandown

Hello Everyone

My husband and I are taking our first cruise in November, with P and O on the Arcadia to the Canaries, worried about some of the reviews I have read.

Also having a inside cabin on C Block, which I can't find much information about inside cabins, hopefully we are doing the right thing.

I booked with P and O, and they said "Freedom Dining would be the best way to go" do you think they are right.

Photos: Do they seem to be taken photo's all the time, or can you say no thank you not today.

Thank you for reading, and all have a lovely day :D

Welcome to CC, we have cruised P&O Australia only but friends have loved being on the Arcadia. As it is your first cruise, everything will be new so don't stress and just make the most of what ever comes your way and you will have a fantastic holiday.:D

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You may want to check out the P&O UK board at this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Also you may want to join your Roll Call and see what others on your cruise are doing. Just scroll down until you find the date of your cruise and then open that up at this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=380

Inside cabins offer fantastic sleeping....dark with the gentle motion of the ship you'll sleep very well.

As to the photogs, don't worry you don't have to purchase the pictures, sometimes you get one that looks very good.

The dining plan that you were offered is a 'dine at anytime' sort of plan rather than having a fixed 'early' or 'late' seating with the same table and same tablemates every evening. It is up to you if you will care for that type of dining or not.

Just go with the flow and enjoy yourselves!

Photos: Do they seem to be taken photo's all the time, or can you say no thank you not today.

Thank you for reading, and all have a lovely day :D

You do not have to have your photo taken, they don't mind. It's up to you. If you do, there is no obligation, whatsoever to buy anything.

You just go to the photo shop and have a look and decide when you are ready, if you want to buy.

Edited by Host Walt
technical fix

Hi Bob.

An inside cabin will be exactly the same shape, size and layout as an outside/seaview. The only difference is you will have a large picture or curtain instead of a window, so no natural light. This may be a problem if you are claustrophobic or are intending to spend a lot of time in your cabin. If, however, you think you will spend a lot of time out of the cabin exploring the ship - and I'm guessing you probably will for your first cruise - and only sleeping and changing there, you may not find it an issue. Handy hint, your in-cabin TV has a 'view from the bridgecam channel' you can use as a virtual window. You can also sit in the bars and panarama lounge if you want to relax in space and light

The photographers are a bit of a nuisance, just ignore them. There normally most present getting off at the ports and table hopping in the restaurants, just smile and let them move on. You dont have to buy it, if you decide to get one you order at the photography desk.

Freedom dining is advertised as something thats a no brainer, but theres pros and cons and it depends what YOU want from YOUR cruise. The basics you need to know follows :)

1) The Main Dining Room/s and buffet are included in your fare. You can also book the fee paying specialty restaurants if you want a change for a night.

2) There will be more that one MDR. Dont be confused, they serve the exact same menu, it just for organisation purposes.

3) During the day, as an alternative to the buffet, you can choose to go to any of the MDRs for breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea. Its all open seating. Restaurant opening times are published in the Ships Newspaper which is delivered to your cabin.

4) For evening you must choose. 'Freedom' dining is the same as a restaurant on land, you turn up whenever you want to eat, though you may have to wait a few minutes for a table. With 'Traditional' dining you are allocated a reserved table with the same waiters and tablemates every night, either first sitting at 06:30 or second at 08:30. There will be a card in your cabin when you board confirming your evening restaurant allocation

5) People like freedom dining because they can chose to eat at different times and meet new people every night.

6) People like traditional dining because they are guaranteed to be served and out in time to get a seat at the evening shows, and you get to know your tablemates a bit better than 'hello'.

7) If you chose traditional you then have to chose early or late. Again, plus and minus - if you eat early you then have a long evening to enjoy after dinner or go to bed early BUT you will need to start getting ready late afternoon and miss sail-away parties and early evening activities like quizzes. If you eat late you get all this and can have a rest between reboarding the ship after a day in port and going to dinner. The shows are repeated so which ever time you choose you will get to see them.

Hope I haven't bamboozled you! Have a great cruise! :)

You do not have to have your photo taken, they don't mind. It's up to you. If you do, there is no obligation, whatsoever to buy anything.

You just go to the photo shop and have a look and decide when you are ready, if you want to buy.

We just let them click away but we seldom buy any of the photos. Once in a while there may be a good one but we normally like the ones we take better.

By the way, all unpurchased photos (and there are a whole lot) are discarded at the end of every cruise so if you change your mind about a photo after you leave the ship, it's too late. Some lines destroy unpurchased photos during the cruise as well so if you hesitate....

Hi Sea Green

Thank you very much, and no you haven't bamboozeled me at tall :D

I will stay with Freedom Dinning, which I now feel a lot better about and not as confused.

Inside cabin happy to know it's the same size has an outside, thought it would have been smaller.

Hi Host Walt

Thank you very much, and your advice on the photo's.

So if we like one, really we should get it there and then and dont hesitate.

Otherwise we could be disappointed.

Hi Sea Green

Hi Host Walt

Thank you very much, and your advice on the photo's.

So if we like one, really we should get it there and then and dont hesitate.

Otherwise we could be disappointed.

Right. Safe/Sorry deal, especially on the very large ships. Most lines also offer some interesting photos of the ship in a port and many other photo op's that you may like that you could not take yourself.

Hi bobupandown--welcome to Cruise Critic.

Please don't get stressed out over any concerns. You've made some good first choices and further exploration of the ship will allow you to become familiar with all of the options available.

Don't rely on reviews alone. They are subjective! Go into this experience with an open mind, and don't be afraid to ask questions (either here or once you get onboard).

As was mentioned earlier, inside cabins can be great, especially if you're the type of person who just uses the space for showering, changing and sleeping. Make sure you bring an alarm clock--some folks occasionally lose track of time without having daylight in the room.

Freedom Dining is a great option if you've planned other activities, excursions, shows, etc. for later.

As far as photos are concerned, you are not obligated to take or purchase any of the pictures. Like others here on the boards, I allow the photographers to go ahead and take as many pictures as they want. I'll go check them out in the photo lounge, and if I see something that really stands out, I'll buy it. The cruise line will "pulp" and dispose of any unused photos at the end of the cruise.

Congratulations, and I hope you have a blast on your cruise! :D

Hi Bob.

An inside cabin will be exactly the same shape, size and layout as an outside/seaview. The only difference is you will have a large picture or curtain instead of a window, so no natural light.

We met a couple who always takes an inside cabin. They put the TV in the cabin on the ship's forward camera. That's their outside view early in the morning. They also like to socialize a lot with the other passengers and have a great time.

Hi Floridiana

Thank you for your advise, that a good idea about the TV will definitely be doing that.

Plus we won't be in the cabin for long, just to get ready and sleep.

Since reading on here, I have now bought 2 night lights.

Enjoy...we love sailing from Southampton in November, but do remember that it can get really cold and windy out on deck, so you'll need winter coats and hats! I see that you have three days to Madeira first, so you'll have time to spend outside whale spotting...:)

Arcadia is a great favourite with many P&O fans; she's the same design and build as two if the Cunard Queens, and always does a world cruise in Jan, so is built to tackle the Atlantic. You'll find much to do on the sea days, and once you're south of the channel, the weather will begin to warm up.

Enjoy the build up! :cool:

PS...It's Yorkshire Day tomorrow, Aug 1st...hope you're celebrating!

Edited by jocap
PS

Pose for every opportunity you have. You're under no obligation to purchase and, you never know, you might find one you like.

Recommendation though - Find your photos when they're posted on the boards. Collect them and have them held in one location. Wait 'till the last night of the cruise , THEN, pick the one (or two) that you really like; and , don't buy the others ...

Hi jocap

Thank you for your welcome and advise. Will look out for the Whales.

Will also make sure well wrapped up for the sail away :D really looking forward to that.

Hi Calgon1

Thank you for your welcome and advise, which location would you advise. Do you ask them to hold on to them, untill the last night.

Sorry if this sounds a bit silly.

I noticed your reference to buying nightlights.

People often say that an inside cabin is pitch dark but I have not found them so. There is usually a red light from the TV and often a glow (at least) from anything you are charging overnight. I find there is usually a little light coming beneath the cabin door too. Certainly nowhere near light enough to read by, but not the absolute, claustrophobic darkness I had been led to expect.

Arcadia was our first P+O ship and we had a really good time. Since then I have found that I prefer other ships, but I wouldn't hesitate to sail on Arcadia again if the itinerary was right.

Have fun anticipating your cruise and I hope it is everything you want it to be.

Hi Slugsta

Sorry for the late reply, and thank you.

Yes I am looking forward to it very much, even though the reviews ar'nt up to scratch seems a lot of people arnt very happy.

Never mind it's what you make it yourself. :D