Has anyone been bumped from a sailing due to it being chartered?

If so, I have a few questions for those of you who didn't want to change your vacation dates due to having purchased non-refundable air or being unable to change time off from work.

If anyone affected in the past had booked with RCI UK, I'd be really interested.

The reason I ask is that if this situation arises, as being from the UK and having to deal via telephone with the RCI support team in Guatemala, it could prove challenging.:D

1. How soon before you sail date did RCI contact you and how?
  2. What options did RCI originally offer you?
  3. What alternative sailings did RCI offer? From where and departing when? (Same port as original sailing or other?)
  4. What did RCI offer if there wasn't a comparable sailing (number of nights, ports etc) available?
  5. How flexible where RCI in terms of alternative dates?
  6. Did RCI offer Celebrity sailings as alternatives?
  7. How did RCI handle price differences (e.g. Original 11 night sailing cost $135 per night but now only 7 night available for fare of $200 per night so costing you more per night)?
  8. Were you able to negotiate a deal better than they originally offered?
  9. How long did they give you to decide?
  10. What compensation did they offer?

I assume that RCI offered a full refund of any monies already paid over and above any alternatives offered.

TIA and if there's anything I've missed that I'd need to be aware of, please share.

I had one cancelled a few years ago and they gave me squat....nada....nothing even though we booked a suite. We even lost money for we had booked our airfare. They could care less and the people I delt with could care less. They did offer another date BUT all the suites were booked. Don't expect nothing....not even an apology. We went ahead and booked our next four cruises Not on RCL and had a wonderful time while the cruise line lost out on a lot of money. I hope it never happens to you.

If so, I have a few questions for those of you who didn't want to change your vacation dates due to having purchased non-refundable air or being unable to change time off from work.

If anyone affected in the past had booked with RCI UK, I'd be really interested.

The reason I ask is that if this situation arises, as being from the UK and having to deal via telephone with the RCI support team in Guatemala, it could prove challenging.:D

3. What alternative sailings did RCI offer? From where and departing when? (Same port as original sailing or other?)
  4. What did RCI offer if there wasn't a comparable sailing (number of nights, ports etc) available?
  7. How did RCI handle price differences (e.g. Original 11 night sailing cost $135 per night but now only 7 night available for fare of $200 per night so costing you more per night)?

I assume that RCI offered a full refund of any monies already paid over and above any alternatives offered.

TIA and if there's anything I've missed that I'd need to be aware of, please share.

We were notified over a year and a half prior to however I have heard of others being told closer to the date.

We were offered a choice of 5 price protected dates as well as an OBC of $200. If we chose to sail a different date it would not be price protected but we would keep the $200 OBC. (This was for a 7 day sailing and suites were offered $400 OBC)

We were on Oasis and they offered 3 Allure sailings and 2 Oasis sailings to choose from.

Not flexible at all for price protection but your OBC is good on any sailing.

Not sure if they would honour OBC on Celebrity but I doubt it.

I have seen many offers made to people in this situation and they are all very similar.(based on length of cruise and I. Doubt very much that you could negotiate a better deal. You may have better luck getting them to add a different date to the price protected list.

We had about 5 days to decide. Air compensation was not offered to us as it was so far out but when they do offer it it is around $150pp for change fees only.

A full refund was also offered on cruise only.

We were bumped from Nov 30 Brilliance - 5 day cruise. This is the email we received in Feb (after being told that the cruise was not chartered). I called RC and requested other options. I was told I would have to cancel, pay current rates (higher), and lose some OBC.

Dear Valued Guest,

Please be advised that the following Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas sailing has been chartered. As a result of the changes, all guests who are currently booked on the sailing will need to be moved or cancelled. This memo addresses compensation for guests booked on the impacted sailing.

Guests currently booked with names and money in house on Brilliance of the Seas November 30, 2015:

Re-book on the select sailings below, in like accommodations, at the protected/lowest available cruise fare or any other Royal Caribbean sailing at prevailing rate. Price protection is limited to the cruise fare only. Taxes, fees, gratuities and other non-cruise fare items are subject to prevailing rates regardless of the sailing chosen.

Select Brilliance of the Seas Sailings

November 21, 2015

December 5, 2015

December 14, 2015

Receive $100 onboard credit per standard stateroom, $200 onboard credit for suites when you rebook any Royal Caribbean sailing.

Guests who incur a fee due to the change in their airline reservations will be reimbursed up to $150 per person, for Domestic Flights & $200 per person, for International Flights. A faxed copy of air fees accessed must be provided for reimbursement. Guests who cancel their sailing or air are not eligible for air change fee reimbursement.

A full refund for amounts paid will be processed to the original form of payment if guests choose to cancel; however, they will not receive any of the above compensation, including air change fee reimbursement.

A special help desk has been established to assist you with moving your sailing. The desk is available now, and will remain open until March 6, 2015. All reservations that are not changed by the specified close date will be cancelled and ineligible for the compensation offered.

For Individual Reservations: 1-888-281-9344 ext. 28546

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International®

I am not in the UK but we were just bumped on a cruise that way very far in the future. It was 4 days and we got $100 OBC and a choice of a few other sailings all around the original sail date.

The second time was when the RH changed deployment from PC to Tampa and we got $50 OBC (also a 4 day cruise). We were offered the 3 day cruise around that same time period but although it was less money as it was 3 days they did NOT price protect at the daily rate. So even though the cruise was less money it ended up being a higher per day cost.

Both times it was very far out so no airfare protection as flights were not yet open for booking.

We had a couple of weeks to decide.

Edited by molly361

Thanks for all your feedback.

Doesn't look too good from a change point of view because if it does happen to us then none of the alternative dates on the same ship will really work. We purchased non-refundable air months ago. We cannot afford to lose $1700.

The compensation offered by RCI will not cover the change fees for our international travel at current availability. $200 only works out at around £125 and the change fee alone is £125 pp plus rebooking at current rates. At the moment a fare increase could be as little as an extra £75 pp but could be a lot more. If the same fare class is available, then RCI would cover the change fee, but as departure date gets closer, the chances of the same booking class being available is slim.

In addition, our pre-cruise hotel can be cancelled, but for a fee of $100.

On top of that we can't really move dates due to work commitments. There are no other alternatives of the same duration (11 days) during the same 14 days we are in the US and so we'd have to take a 7 night sailing on another ship. At current rates this will cost more than what we booked the 11 night for back in 2014!

We can't afford to book anything else as a standby because we're in the UK, so if we cancel a booking we lose the deposit! So the longer it takes for RCI to advise us, the more expensive it'd become for us to change (that's if there is availability on other ships/lines).

Just hope this scenario doesn't materialise.

We were bumped from Nov 30 Brilliance - 5 day cruise. This is the email we received in Feb (after being told that the cruise was not chartered). I called RC and requested other options. I was told I would have to cancel, pay current rates (higher), and lose some OBC.

Dear Valued Guest,

Please be advised that the following Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas sailing has been chartered. As a result of the changes, all guests who are currently booked on the sailing will need to be moved or cancelled. This memo addresses compensation for guests booked on the impacted sailing.

Guests currently booked with names and money in house on Brilliance of the Seas November 30, 2015:

Re-book on the select sailings below, in like accommodations, at the protected/lowest available cruise fare or any other Royal Caribbean sailing at prevailing rate. Price protection is limited to the cruise fare only. Taxes, fees, gratuities and other non-cruise fare items are subject to prevailing rates regardless of the sailing chosen.

Select Brilliance of the Seas Sailings

November 21, 2015

December 5, 2015

December 14, 2015

Receive $100 onboard credit per standard stateroom, $200 onboard credit for suites when you rebook any Royal Caribbean sailing.

Guests who incur a fee due to the change in their airline reservations will be reimbursed up to $150 per person, for Domestic Flights & $200 per person, for International Flights. A faxed copy of air fees accessed must be provided for reimbursement. Guests who cancel their sailing or air are not eligible for air change fee reimbursement.

A full refund for amounts paid will be processed to the original form of payment if guests choose to cancel; however, they will not receive any of the above compensation, including air change fee reimbursement.

A special help desk has been established to assist you with moving your sailing. The desk is available now, and will remain open until March 6, 2015. All reservations that are not changed by the specified close date will be cancelled and ineligible for the compensation offered.

For Individual Reservations: 1-888-281-9344 ext. 28546

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International®

Shoulda bought a Kia. :sly:

I had one cancelled a few years ago and they gave me squat....nada....nothing even though we booked a suite. We even lost money for we had booked our airfare. They could care less and the people I delt with could care less. They did offer another date BUT all the suites were booked. Don't expect nothing....not even an apology. We went ahead and booked our next four cruises Not on RCL and had a wonderful time while the cruise line lost out on a lot of money. I hope it never happens to you.

Good idea to take out the flight insurance that is offered at the time of booking your air. :)

Already got insurance thanks. We always have it, but UK travel insurance does not cover loss of air fare because RCI cancel a cruise.

Could you have taken out 3rd party insurance on your flights at the time of booking them?

Good idea to take out the flight insurance that is offered at the time of booking your air. :)

Could you have taken out 3rd party insurance on your flights at the time of booking them?

No, that's not offered in the UK to my knowledge.

I was bumped from Navigator next February. They gave us about 8 months notice. Offered to give us the change fee from the airlines if we had air booked (Which we didn't) and if we re-booked our cruise immediately would have given us some OBC.

They didn't offer us any deals on another sailing, just an OBC if we were to transfer the booking that day to a new ship/sail date

Edited by Firefighterhoop

Doesn't look too good from a change point of view because if it does happen to us then none of the alternative dates on the same ship will really work. We purchased non-refundable air months ago. We cannot afford to lose $1700.

The compensation offered by RCI will not cover the change fees for our international travel at current availability. $200 only works out at around £125 and the change fee alone is £125 pp plus rebooking at current rates. At the moment a fare increase could be as little as an extra £75 pp but could be a lot more. If the same fare class is available, then RCI would cover the change fee, but as departure date gets closer, the chances of the same booking class being available is slim.

On top of that we can't really move dates due to work commitments. There are no other alternatives of the same duration (11 days) during the same 14 days we are in the US and so we'd have to take a 7 night sailing on another ship. At current rates this will cost more than what we booked the 11 night for back in 2014!

We can't afford to book anything else as a standby because we're in the UK, so if we cancel a booking we lose the deposit! So the longer it takes for RCI to advise us, the more expensive it'd become for us to change (that's if there is availability on other ships/lines).

The same situation was offered to me. They would not pay the DIFFERENCE in air, only refund the CHANGE FEE (200.00pp). (We didn't have air yet, so wasn't an issue, but that's what they offered us.

Is there some reason you think this might happen? If not why spend so much time worrying about it?

Is there some reason you think this might happen? If not why spend so much time worrying about it?

Yes there is and if I wish to discuss and understand options I think that's my decision. Apologies if it wasted your time.

The same situation was offered to me. They would not pay the DIFFERENCE in air, only refund the CHANGE FEE (200.00pp). (We didn't have air yet, so wasn't an issue, but that's what they offered us.

....It must pay to be a firefighter for RCL told me to "stick those change fees where the sun don't shine" and we had to eat that money too.....I guess RCL thinks that everyone who sails is a retired Florida resident who can change their vacation dates at a whim....

I was bumped from a 4 night September NCL sailing in this past April. I had booked about 20 days earlier, and when it was chartered, I got all my money back. I am sure if I made a fuss, they would send $50 my way or something, but I hadn't booked or reserved anything except the sailing, yet, so it was just an inconvenience at best.

I wouldn't be surprised if they wouldn't help accomodate flight plans, and cite traveling insurance to take care of it (if you purchased it). They usually don't allow charters if the ship has reached a certain perentage of capacity or if it is less than 6 months to sail date. I suppose it's just business...take the charter's money TODAY or sell the rooms themselves and risk having a ton of vacancies.

I ended up having to take a 7night cruise on RCI that same week, for not much more, so I didn't have to change my vacation time at work. Can't complain too much, and no hard feelings towards NCL here.

Yes there is and if I wish to discuss and understand options I think that's my decision. Apologies if it wasted your time.

Well excuse me. You went into great detail about the question but made no mention whatsoever about why you think it might happen for that cruise.......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by bouhunter

Hi Pete,

We booked in April 2014 for a B2B in April 2016 in the Caribbean, only to have the boat chartered later in the year. We got the usual sorry letter withe the offer of a full cruise deposit refund and the appropriate O.B.C. offered for each of the weeks booked which could be used against another cruise on any route at any time.

However the fun started when they stipulated the new bookings had to be made within two weeks!

Like a lot of people we have to book around work.

Suffice to say a lot of shouting went on to Guatemala before I finally got my way and booked one cruise with the O.B.C. and a booking reduction for 2015 and a promise letter to hold the other O.B.C. until May 2015 to be able to book the next seasons Caribbean.

When May 2015 arrived it took a second "exchange of opinions" to finally result in the outstanding O.B.C. being applied, again with a reduction in the fare.

I guess the main thing I learned is don't accept the initial offer if it does not suit you and make your feelings known if they want to keep their customers!

Cheers!

David

Many thanks to all of your constructive feedback detailing how RCI dealt with you and the issue of being bumped due to a charter. Much appreciated.

However, as I obviously upset and disappoint some, I will request that this thread is closed.

Well excuse me. You went into great detail about the question but made no mention whatsoever about why you think it might happen for that cruise.......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
It was a hypothetical scenario and I didn't see the need to provide all the details as you did not provide any example of what had happened to you, unlike other replies. Edited by peteukmcr