Kids and X

kandj05

Just cruised with Celebrity last week. Eclipse

Wanted a nice dinner at Murano and we were next to a family with 3

kids (toddler in high chair) and the other running around and screaming.

Suppose to be 12 years and older to be in Murano.

We couldn't have a conversation and enjoy our dinner.

Very surprised that they don't enforce the rule that they have.

Kids should not be in restaurant or theater at night time.

I have children and grandchildren, I love kids but don't impose them

to others.

If there are age restrictions at Murano they should be enforced. There are adult only and children only places on any cruise line and those rules should be respected (I don't think the teens in the teen club would want you or me hanging out with them!).

But the MDRs and evening shows are for everyone. Families with children pay to cruise and they pay gratuities, just like you. Probably more because they are a bigger party. If their mere presence at dinner "imposes" on you, maybe you should stay in your room and order room service and watch TV. Or go on an adults only cruise line or cruise (like a nudist cruise) on get your own private yacht.

This attitude that children shouldn't be allowed to eat in the MDR or enjoy the ship's entertainment is so offensive. It is the equivalent of: "Hey, I love old people, really I do, I have parents and grandparents, you know what I mean? BUT, old people should not be allowed in the dining rooms or the theaters, because it ruins MY cruise. I mean, they are all hard of hearing so they when they talk about their health problems (which is all they EVER talk about) they yell. And it is so gross when their false teeth fall out when they eat! Plus, they wear stinky adult diapers. Their adult children should know better to impose them on the rest of us in the MDR and at shows."

We might not all be lucky to make it to old age, but everyone is young at some point, even if many people tend to forget that the farther they get away from their youth.

Edited by GatorMomInNC

If there are age restrictions at Murano they should be enforced. There are adult only and children only places on any cruise line and those rules should be respected (I don't think the teens in the teen club would want you or me hanging out with them!).

But the MDRs and evening shows are for everyone. Families with children pay to cruise and they pay gratuities, just like you. Probably more because they are a bigger party. If their mere presence at dinner "imposes" on you, maybe you should stay in your room and order room service and watch TV. Or go on an adults only cruise line or cruise (like a nudist cruise) on get your own private yacht.

This attitude that children shouldn't be allowed to eat in the MDR or enjoy the ship's entertainment is so offensive. It is the equivalent of: "Hey, I love old people, really I do, I have parents and grandparents, you know what I mean? BUT, old people should not be allowed in the dining rooms or the theaters, because it ruins MY cruise. I mean, they are all hard of hearing so they when they talk about their health problems (which is all they EVER talk about) they yell. And it is so gross when their false teeth fall out when they eat! Plus, they wear stinky adult diapers. Their adult children should know better to impose them on the rest of us in the MDR and at shows."

We might not all be lucky to make it to old age, but everyone is young at some point, even if many people tend to forget that the farther they get away from their youth.

Good post, Murano should definitely enforce their own rules, typical Celebrity. Theater is open to everyone and shows are family oriented but parents have to take responsibility if they act up. That means exiting the theater if they have to.

Edited by dkjretired

My youngest is 6, and I also have 9 and 11 year old. I love my children but would NEVER take them to Muranos. That is a very grown up environment and the experience is for adults.

As for the theatre, I am sorry but if dinning times takes a while then we will be watching a show in the evening. I would never stay if my children became restless because it would have me on edge from people judging and tutting in my direction! !! and I would sit close to an entrance in the event of an unruly child.

I am taking my children on holiday, not using them as tools to annoy the h*** out of people. I do not plan on my children causing anyone any distress. In public they are generally very well behaved.....I would not leave the house if they weren't. :p

Suppose to be 12 years old to be in Murano.

to others.

If this happens again, get your money back. Rules are enforced much faster when it costs Celebrity.

As for cruising when school is in session, you can see how many here will disregard school and take their kiddies on a cruise since it is cheaper then. School is not as important as a cruise after all.

We're taking our granddaughter on our next cruise on Celebrity. We expect her to be respectful of other passengers and we expect other passengers to be respectful of her.

If she misbehaves, we'll deal it; if passengers who wish Celebrity was adults-only give her unnecessary attitude as we have heard sometimes happens, they'll have a pair of very grouchy grandparents to contend with.

We'll hang a placard around her neck so you'll know: "The kid is fine; it's the grandparents who bite". :)

What is and how does one give a child "unnecessary attitude"? It almost sounds as if you are going into it looking for issues. I find it difficult to believe that if a child is well behaved, quiet, and doesn't come into the adult areas of the ship - what is there to give attitude about? If you remove the child during times when they are being loud or disruptive there won't be any issues.

Just wanted to add that we are travelling within a school holiday here in England. ...my 11 yr old will need 2 days off but for the most part it will be school holiday. Would not want judgemental people thinking I am taking my children out of school for a holiday would I!!!! I have never taken them out of school for a holiday and am not about to start now...happy cruising all x x

Suppose to be 12 years and older to be in Murano.

to others.

As a parent who cruises celebrity with my children, you have my sympathy. I believe the rule is 12 and up in Murano except at lunch. Celebrity should enforce their rules. Then maybe there would be less annoyed adults on here. I personally wouldn't bring my children there because I would want a long relaxing meal. My children do however go to the theater and the MDR. We get plenty of compliments from surrounding tables. My children love the shows and sit more quietly than many of the adults surrounding us that talk through the show. But it is up to the parents to remove them if they are disruptive, just as I would expect if an adult wishes to chat rather than watch the show that they would excuse themselves.

My children completed their third celebrity cruise this past April. Celebrity is the line my parents will only cruise on, and since we travel with the grandparents that is our preferred line.

For those who wish to see fewer children the key is to choose longer cruises and cruises during the school year. Their might be a small handful on the above, but much fewer than shorter cruises during school breaks. I am glad celebrity welcomes families. The key imo, whether a family or an adult cruise, is to follow the cruise rules, and be respectful of follow cruisers. IMO adults who have over indulged or who are not respectful are just as bad as unsupervised kids. Either way, I think most families and adults are respectful, but the few who aren't tend to stand out.

We cruise X every year with our kids, and usually pull them from school for it. But we have never brought them to Murano with us, nor would we. That is my evening to enjoy myself and I too would be upset at toddlers running around considering the up charge. The only specialty restaurant my kids have eaten in is Lawn Club Grille on Reflection, which is much more kid friendly. And when they got restless they went and played on the lawn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is and how does one give a child "unnecessary attitude"? It almost sounds as if you are going into it looking for issues. I find it difficult to believe that if a child is well behaved, quiet, and doesn't come into the adult areas of the ship - what is there to give attitude about? If you remove the child during times when they are being loud or disruptive there won't be any issues.

First off, we don't take our granddaughter to adults-only sections of the ship.

Secondly, from the posts in this thread alone, I think it's quite clear that there can be issues, even if kids aren't being loud and disruptive. Some people who sail Celebrity or HAL think kids don't belong on any ships besides RCCL, Carnival, or Disney.

I think they're in a very small minority, so I don't anticipate any problems on our upcoming cruise.

Very well said. I'd like to save it as a cut-and-paste to insert in every thread that begins with, "I like kids, but ...".

Edited by CanadianDee

If this happens again, get your money back. Rules are enforced much faster when it costs Celebrity.

I agree, something should be said if the rules aren't being enforced at Muranos - that never should have been allowed, especially since you are paying an upcharge to eat in an adult only restaurant.

As for cruising when school is in session, you can see how many here will disregard school and take their kiddies on a cruise since it is cheaper then. School is not as important as a cruise after all.

Just be aware that there are different school breaks for different people, so just because you see children on a cruise during traditional school time, doesn't mean they are missing school. My kids are out of school starting September 4th, and we are doing an 11-night Alaska cruise on September 11th. When we get home they will still have another week off before school starts!

I live in the 15th largest school district in the US. About one third to one-half the schools are "year round" schools. My children are in school now and have been since July 7th (they had June off). Our neighbors had July off and our other neighbors have most of August off. There is always one-quarter of the kids out of school in any given month. We usually cruise in September and early December so that we DON'T miss school. We prefer longer cruises, like TAs and PC cruises. Our friends, who have three children, just did a TA and European cruise in May when their kids were out of school.

The majority of other families we meet on these long, "in-school season" cruises are not missing school. Many have younger, pre-school aged kids, and families with kids of that age love to cruise during traditional school year as it is much less expensive. We also have met a LOT of kids who are homeschooled, or sometimes from other countries with different rules or different breaks from school. Kids who are missing time from traditional schools are in the minority on these cruises, in our experience.

Edited by GatorMomInNC

My comment was:

In Murano - toddlers in high chair - 2 others running around and

screaming, under 5 or 6 years old. (actually the staff were uncomfortable)

Those 2 young couples with these Infants or children or kids had a sense

of entitlement that put a few guest uneasy.

This have nothing to do with school breaks, even those little one

wanted to go. The problem was the parents.

My comment was:

In Murano - toddlers in high chair - 2 others running around and

screaming, under 5 or 6 years old. (actually the staff were uncomfortable)

Those 2 young couples with these Infants or children or kids had a sense

of entitlement that put a few guest uneasy.

This have nothing to do with school breaks, even those little one

wanted to go. The problem was the parents.

tourmaline: It was not you that mentioned school holidays....my comment in response to the school holidays was not to you.

I agree they never should have taken those children to Muranos. I know how long it takes in there and would not dream of taking my lot...completely unfair to the children and the other diners.

Good post, Murano should definitely enforce their own rules, typical Celebrity. Theater is open to everyone and shows are family oriented but parents have to take responsibility if they act up. That means exiting the theater if they have to.

...and in the MDR.

I wish Celeb would be an adult only cruise line. They still do no offer what Royal Carib and others offer families. So I hope that people who travel with their children do not consider Celebrity. Leave it for those who still want a couples only holiday.

This is a very contentious topic here.

dream on!

We're taking our granddaughter on our next cruise on Celebrity. We expect her to be respectful of other passengers and we expect other passengers to be respectful of her.

If she misbehaves, we'll deal it; if passengers who wish Celebrity was adults-only give her unnecessary attitude as we have heard sometimes happens, they'll have a pair of very grouchy grandparents to contend with.

We'll hang a placard around her neck so you'll know: "The kid is fine; it's the grandparents who bite". :)

Translation:

"I am a spoiled brat and my grandparents approve."

I love it when people suggest that P and O is an adult cruise line. Disney is a kids and families line. When I suggest families do Disney, they take offence but see nothing wrong in suggesting I do P and O.

Well they dont do Disney because it is too expensive, but maybe Celebrity they can get away cheaper and after all they also dont want to be with everyone elses kids.

Or the one that always will defend bringing her brood aboard by starting to pick on old folks, "they stink, they wear diapers, they remove their dentures"

In all our 45 cruises with Celebrity, I have never experienced that but I have experienced one rude couple who emptied the hot tub for days because they insisted in dunking their baby in it.

Or the few unruly kids who emptied the pool, because they would run and jump into it no matter who was in their way of course the fat father said " we paid just as you did"

Or the kid who thought it was fun to push all the buttons on the elevator.

Oh I could go on. But there is no need.

All kinds of rules have been changed and enforced as result of people bringing their kids, , because adults complained that this is not camp they signed up for but a 4+ cruise and if it is not, they want compensation and they got it.

Thats the bottom line, you are promised a certain level of holiday. If you dont get it make sure you let Celebrity know exactly why.

But I hope you do not assumnot hat all children are that way.

For ex ample: My 3 will NOT be using the hot tubs...no arguing.

My 3 WILL NOT be going in the pool without me...AT ANY TIME.

My 3 will be allowed to press the one button they need for the floor we are going to in the lift, they will NOT be pressing more than one.

My 3 WILL be attending fun factory so.they can run off energy and shout and have fun WITH OUT causing Any distress.

No they are not perfect but they can and will behave

I love it when people suggest that P and O is an adult cruise line. Disney is a kids and families line. When I suggest families do Disney, they take offence but see nothing wrong in suggesting I do P and O.

Well they dont do Disney because it is too expensive, but maybe Celebrity they can get away cheaper and after all they also dont want to be with everyone elses kids.

Or the one that always will defend bringing her brood aboard by starting to pick on old folks, "they stink, they wear diapers, they remove their dentures"

In all our 45 cruises with Celebrity, I have never experienced that but I have experienced one rude couple who emptied the hot tub for days because they insisted in dunking their baby in it.

Or the few unruly kids who emptied the pool, because they would run and jump into it no matter who was in their way of course the fat father said " we paid just as you did"

Or the kid who thought it was fun to push all the buttons on the elevator.

Oh I could go on. But there is no need.

All kinds of rules have been changed and enforced as result of people bringing their kids, , because adults complained that this is not camp they signed up for but a 4+ cruise and if it is not, they want compensation and they got it.

Thats the bottom line, you are promised a certain level of holiday. If you dont get it make sure you let Celebrity know exactly why.

If it's that bad, why do you continue to cruise with X :confused:? I would have thought after sailing 45 times you would have sufficient experience to decide if it was the right line for you? Additionally, you appear to feel very strongly about this issue, so surely it would be easier to go where you receive 'the promised level' rather than having to complain about it post cruise?

Translation:

"I am a spoiled brat and my grandparents approve."

If that's your translation, we're clearly speaking different languages.

You probably missed the part where I said:"We're taking our granddaughter on our next cruise on Celebrity. We expect her to be respectful of other passengers ..."

And where I said, "f she misbehaves, we'll deal it..."

And where I said we don't take her to adults-only venues.

But have at 'er ... feel free to call a kid you've never met a "spoiled brat". It's an anonymous Internet forum and manners are optional.

Edited by CanadianDee

I belong to a Facebook page for people that like to cruise on X -- where someone admitted today that their 14 year old son and a friend stuck their tongues on the frosted Martini Bar - she even posted a picture of the boys with their tongues out and sores showing where it tore the skin off. Of course the ship had to defrost the bar to decontaminate it - ruining the experience for others but the mother thought it was funny. :eek: You can't fix stupid. You can't make parents - parent. I would be embarrassed to admit that my child did such a thing. This is EXACTLY the type of thing that causes many of us to want to avoid children on our vacation.

I don't think X needs to be child free but they need to enforce rules and perhaps declare more areas adults only. Why should 14 year olds be allowed in the Martini Bar area? We will continue to try to cruise at times when we think there will be less children onboard.

Edited by Jane2357

I belong to a Facebook page for people that like to cruise on X -- where someone admitted today that their 14 year old son and a friend stuck their tongues on the frosted Martini Bar - she even posted a picture of the boys with their tongues out and sores showing where it tore the skin off. Of course the ship had to defrost the bar to decontaminate it - ruining the experience for others but the mother thought it was funny. :eek: You can't fix stupid. You can't make parents - parent. I would be embarrassed to admit that my child did such a thing. This is EXACTLY the type of thing that causes many of us to want to avoid children on our vacation.

I don't think X needs to be child free but they need to enforce rules and perhaps declare more areas adults only. Why should 14 year olds be allowed in the Martini Bar area? We will continue to try to cruise at times when we think there will be less children onboard.

No surprise concerning the kids actions when the mother condones that kind of behavior and then takes pictures of it and to top it off posts the pictures.

Just finished 2 cruise on Equinox - Istanbul to Rome and Rome on to Barcelona.

Both cruises had more kids on board then I have ever seen on a celebrity cruise. On the second cruise there was a very large (50+) group of kids from the USA - mostly mid teens. I thought they would be noisy but they were very well behaved.

The problem were the families where the parents have zero consideration for others and where they appear to have zero control of their kids.

In the Tuscan Grille we were seated at a lovely table for 2 until an Italian family of 9 was placed next to us. It was like a scene from "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding". The kids and adults screamed at each other and the younger ones ran around the restaurant and around everyone elses table. I seriously object to paying $90 for this environment.

In the MDR Select one group was so large that they had two tables - one for adults and the larger for kids. The kids screamed and shouted all the time, played drums with the cutlery, one even leaned back on his chair and put his feet up on the table while another dug his knife into the cream cheese and continued to eat from it. NOBODY said a word.

The dress code was not enforced - short and flip flops in the MDR all the time (even saw one adult with a baseball cap on formal night - but that's another thread).

The solarium was over-run by kids at times and despite me pointing this out the a Pool Butler, nothing was done. I wrote a note to customer services but was ignored.

I have no problem with kids onboard any cruise - their parents or guardians pay good money to bring them onboard. But I seriously object to Celebrity advertising "Modern Luxury" and then not delivering on their own rules.

In my experience, the kids ain't bad, it's the parents who don't have a clue on how to bring up children and teach them basic manners and behaviour. I have been on cruises where the children, for the most part were pretty inconspicuous, but the Neanderthal parents were disruptive.