Rude Passengers

sarasfw

I think I sailed with this crew. I nicknamed them the Smartypants. They would win or pout. Ironically, they were the most traveled passengers on that sailing-- so we all knew who they were. And yes, you had best not sit in their seats! :eek:

I love to get there early just to irritate them. :D

We were on the Epic once and went to the circus dinner show. We were near the front of the line so got decent seating at a front row table for eight (four of us). They brought another party over to the table and one of the women said "we do not sit with others". We all thought it was pretty rude, but it didn't upset us in the least. We ended up with pleasant dinner mates.

My FIL and I both have lung issues. His is severe enough that he has handicapped tags. Mine is moderate, I get around easily and most importantly, know my limits. Sometimes I'll take FIL to the store, drop him at the door, then look for the accessible parking. Saves him walking further. I get really nasty looks when I park, but he'll walk back to the car when he's done.

January will be our first cruise with him, so we are learning about disabled traveling. He says he's fine and doesn't need any help (^%^*(& stubborn 88 year old) but we need to figure out O2 and are renting a wheel chair for him. We are in an accessible mini (he needs the walk in shower) mid ship so he can go straight up to food. I just hate that he will either feel obligated to hang in the cabin to not inconvenience us (not) or will get lost and we can't find him. He won't ask for help.

TracyABD, Thanks for the info that medical devices fly free. That might be a HUGE weight off our minds.

I had a guy who kept hitting my hand in the buffet on the QM2 in '04. I had ordered an omelet & was told by the staff person making it just said wait there. This guy hitting my hand kept saying.."move along!" I was about 50 & would say he was probably within 5 years of me either side. I told him to walk around me, which he wouldn't do for whatever reason.I warned him to stop & when he didn't, I did the old Moe Howard grab & twist nose! I brought him right to the floor & warned him if I had any more trouble with him, I'd drag him by his schnozz & throw him over board. Worked like a charm![/quote

Not saying you are exaggerating but any passenger who trows the first punch gets disembarked at the next port.

Edited by PoppyandNana

We were on the Epic once and went to the circus dinner show. We were near the front of the line so got decent seating at a front row table for eight (four of us). They brought another party over to the table and one of the women said "we do not sit with others". We all thought it was pretty rude, but it didn't upset us in the least. We ended up with pleasant dinner mates.

My FIL and I both have lung issues. His is severe enough that he has handicapped tags. Mine is moderate, I get around easily and most importantly, know my limits. Sometimes I'll take FIL to the store, drop him at the door, then look for the accessible parking. Saves him walking further. I get really nasty looks when I park, but he'll walk back to the car when he's done.

January will be our first cruise with him, so we are learning about disabled traveling. He says he's fine and doesn't need any help (^%^*(& stubborn 88 year old) but we need to figure out O2 and are renting a wheel chair for him. We are in an accessible mini (he needs the walk in shower) mid ship so he can go straight up to food. I just hate that he will either feel obligated to hang in the cabin to not inconvenience us (not) or will get lost and we can't find him. He won't ask for help.

TracyABD, Thanks for the info that medical devices fly free. That might be a HUGE weight off our minds.

Not really my business, but I'd strongly suggest that you look into buying a wheelchair for him. They fly free, and you'll have the advantage of knowing it is decent and fits him before you get there, and you can get an extra cushion if that makes life better. You can often find second hand chairs at Goodwill and similar outlets for about $25. You can also make sure you can hook the O2 to the chair. There are several types of O2 devices--you'll have to figure out which is better for the plane and ship. His medicare + supplement might pay the entire cost of a new chair--in that case, a specialized physical therapist can help you order exactly what will best meet his needs.

As to getting around--pop him in the chair and take him to wherever you are going without giving him the chance to object. It doesn't sound like he can go too far on his own,

FWIW, the drop off issue is exactly why we got the HA tag for my daughter. She HATED being dependent on me to drive, drop her at the door, park, and come back. I realized after a trip home from grad school that she had not driven the entire trip....and that was why! That parking pass equals continued independence. As to dropping off FIL, the legal requirement for using the parking pass is that he is in the car, not that he is driving.

Edited by moki'smommy

But not all handicaps are obvious to the casual observer. I was talking to my 24 year old just yesterday about clothing for our upcoming cruise. She said that she plans to take primarily pants' date=' and probably won't even bring shorts BECAUSE SHE IS NOT READY TO "GO PUBLIC" with her splints and braces. She has a progressive debilitating disease but will do everything in her power to make sure that she looks normal to the superficial observer. She will try to not use her walker or wheelchair at least for short distances. At 24, she wants to look "normal" and independent.

The average person doesn't see that she has an unusual gait, that her knees dislocate if not held in place with devices. If you are standing and talking to her, she will lean against a wall, counter, desk, or anything available and most people will think she looks rather like a lazy teen. Her slouch is not bad posture, it is tendons that are no longer able to support her joints. And yes, she might sit at a handicapped table. She'd rather not, but it might be a choice between sitting at the nearest table or dropping her food because her wrist or ankle gave out. She has a handicapped parking pass which she legally qualifies for, but lives in terror of someone being aggressive toward her because they think she shouldn't use it-perhaps because she doesn't need the chair that day, the custom orthotics and splints are sufficient.

On the ship, she will have an HA cabin. She will use the elevator to get to/from the muster drill. She will evaluate the theatre to determine whether she can handle a few stairs (based on the steepness of the stairs and the availability of railings) or whether she needs easy access seating. Her suitcase will contain physical therapy equipment, a muscle stimulator, kinesio tape, splints, a cervical collar, and maybe a special orthopedic pillow. But she will still do everything in her power to keep other guests from seeing her issues.

There are many hidden disabilities. Please do not assume that because the need is not obvious to you that it may not be totally real.

I fully agree that people with no need for them should not use areas or facilities reserved for handicapped individuals. But the ADA applies to many sorts disabilities, not just to those people using a wheelchair at all times.[/quote']

So true, many people judge far too quickly. Hope your daughter continues to enjoy cruising, and learns to ignore those who judge.

That reminds me of the elderly man at our table who tucked his napkin into his collar as if he was a toddler just off a bib. Midway through the meal he whipped it off and blew his nose on the cloth napkin. I guess no one ever taught him to carry a handkerchief or tissues.

The there was the old fool at lunch one day giving a lecture to all of us about Jewish people and business, only he didn't use such a benign term and did not speak favorably of them. One of the couples at the table was a Jewish couple from South Africa and they were mortified that Americans would spout off like this with perfect strangers. When their lunch came they asked the waiter if it could be placed on another table because they didn't care to dine with a bigot. Several of us asked if we could join them and another couple asked for a table to themselves. The old guy was left at the table with only his wife for company. She was clearly mortified by the jerk and as she left she apologized profusely for her boorish husband.

It is rather rude and disgusting when someone blows their nose at the table!! I can't tell you how often I've heard that!

You are welcome. I traveled with my mom for many years. In the end, cruising was our best option for the same reasons you stated.

With the medical luggage, just make sure that you only have medical supplies in the bag or they can ask you move the items or pay. I once wrapped the foot plates of my mom's wheetchair in a dress-- and I had to unwrap the foot plates and repack the dress in our luggage. (of course, the person who asked me to do this was repremanded by a supervisor who reminded her, "if someone says it is medical luggage THEN it is medical luggage. Period. We do not search!". Yikes.

I agree, every airport is different. We flew out of Charlotte and it could be dicey on some trips and amazing on others.

On our final trip, our luggage cart looked like the traveling Clampets with 3 pieces of luggage, 1 carry on, 2 bags, 2 walkers, a traveling wheelchair...

Not to self-promote, if you look down in my signature line, I have my live-froms that I wrote from our adventures. Much of the blog is dedicated to making travel as accessable as possible. Just thought I would mention it if you are interested.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

That reminds me of the elderly man at our table who tucked his napkin into his collar as if he was a toddler just off a bib. Midway through the meal he whipped it off and blew his nose on the cloth napkin. I guess no one ever taught him to carry a handkerchief or tissues.

I thought everyone knew that was what your shirt sleeve was for!

ok, i know the order will change before i can finish typing this, but…currently the formal clothing thread is at the very top of the page with 5018 views…directly below that is the rude passengers thread ... recently was resurrected and has more than 42000 views….

i am starting to get a little nervous as we fly to the west coast tomorrow for a hawaii cruise.

i hope i am properly dressed for my traditional visit in San Francisco to the "IN and OUT Burger"..Hopefully somebody won't cut in line on me or belch the first verse of a popular tony bennet song..

its a crime there are NO "In and Out burgers" east of the Mississipi river…just saying….

She just stomped off with a scowl on her face. We later spotted her knitting group sitting at another table. And on a related note, we would love to see cruise lines suggest (more strongly) that tables in the Lido (during meal hours) are reserved for those who are eating. Folks that want to knit, play cards, maj jong, etc. should be "encouraged" to move elsewhere on the ship. This would really help alleviate the shortage of tables in the Lido....for those who simply want to eat breakfast, lunch, etc.

Hank

Totally agree:). On our recent T/A there were a number of occasions where it was hard to find a seat to eat due to the number of cruisers using the HC for board/card games, reading, etc.....

Bob

Just out of curiosity, I went back through this entire thread and did a "cut and paste" about the positive and negative experiences of people who left messages here. I came up with a total of 43 negative experiences with rude passengers and 6 positive experiences that were described. (Yes, it's amazing the things you come up with to do when you're retired, that's for sure! :D)

Of course I might have missed 1 or 2 on either count but what the heck...

As I read through the list, it's just amazing some of the things people do or, in some cases, don't do! It's also nice seeing the good things that people did also.:p:p

Anyway, I hope everybody has a good Thanksgiving this week, whether you're cruising or not!

Tom

Just out of curiosity, I went back through this entire thread and did a "cut and paste" about the positive and negative experiences of people who left messages here. I came up with a total of 43 negative experiences with rude passengers and 6 positive experiences that were described. (Yes, it's amazing the things you come up with to do when you're retired, that's for sure! :D)

Of course I might have missed 1 or 2 on either count but what the heck...

LOL! Isn't retirement great? I suppose there were more rude experiences related than nice ones since the title of the thread is "Rude Passengers." In any case, it's always an entertaining read.

It is rather rude and disgusting when someone blows their nose at the table!! I can't tell you how often I've heard that!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

I'm sure someone will take great offense at this, however, I would rather have someone blow their nose on a tissue or a handkerchief at the table than see snot running down their lip or hear them "sniff and swallow" the.....whatever? Certain bodily functions can't be helped and if handled discreetly shouldn't be viewed as rude behavior. My opinion only as I didn't check with Emily Post. YMMV.

I'm sure someone will take great offense at this, however, I would rather have someone blow their nose on a tissue or a handkerchief at the table than see snot running down their lip or hear them "sniff and swallow" the.....whatever? Certain bodily functions can't be helped and if handled discreetly shouldn't be viewed as rude behavior. My opinion only as I didn't check with Emily Post. YMMV.

What about women who apply lipstick or other makeup after every course.

Edited by PoppyandNana

What about women who apply lipstick or other makeup after every course.

Could not care less. As long as they don't get it on my food and if they are that insecure I would say, Emily Post not withstanding, "have at it". Again, YMMV.

Edited by ar1950

Don't all these things happen at land resorts as well? Anytime you get more than two strangers in close proximity for longer than one hour you're going to experience strange behaviors. Inevitably some of those behaviors are going to be rude. What's not rude in Outer Mongolia is on board a ship or a resort.

Do you find kinder and gentler people at a Sandel's?

We were on a recent 28 transpacific cruise. We would eat at the buffet every morning and there were two women who would sit on a table for 8 people(two 4 people tables pushed together). They would sit at an angle to each other on each table, when someone came and asked to sit with them, they would say they were expecting others in a few minutes. The whole 28 cruise, not one other person sat with them!! So rude, especially since some days there were no places to sit at all.

Then, on this same cruise, I was taking a craft class. Everyone was sick on this cruise with probably at least 80-90 % of the people on the ship coughing. During one of these craft classes, a woman picks up the tape and places it in her mouth to cut it!!! I was one of the people who had previously been sick on the cruise and I lost it. I said, "no wonder everyone is sick on this ship, people like you contaminating things that other people are using, didn't you ever learn any manners?" I just could not believe that a grown woman would do something like that. :eek: She just looked at me and because the rest of the table saw her do it and their faces were all in shock, she just finished quickly and left.

They are everywhere, not just on cruise ships. :mad:

sad but true i work in a supermarket you cop heaps there they forget what manners are etc they treat the workers as if they are a speck of dirt so to speak they forget they are human and have feelings

If I felt that "snot" as you put it was imminently running down my nose, I should wipe it with a tissue. At this point I would also consider if I needed to give my nose a blow. If this was the case I would excuse myself, tell my companions I am going to return immediately and then go to the rest room just outside the restaurant and sort my nose completely out. If this situation was going to keep happening throughout the meal I would have considered that before dinner and not turned up in consideration of my fellow passengers and knowing the meal in the MDR would be disastrous. Room service for me therefore. It's the only way I would want to handle it.

Regards John