Ladies: How Many Pairs of Shoes on a Warm Season European River Cruise?

sengsational

Ladies: How Many Pairs of Shoes Did You Bring on a European Summer River Cruise  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Ladies: How Many Pairs of Shoes Did You Bring on a European Summer River Cruise

• 1 - If they're good enough for walking, they're good enough for the dining room
    • 2 to 3 - I need a little flexibility
    • 4 to 5 - Sometimes I like to treat myself
    • 6 to 8 - I have a sherpa
    • 9 or more - Call me Amelda
    • I'm a guy and just had something I must say.

Thanks Hydrokitty! I'm kinda going in circles right now. A bit of denial going on. So you think Budapest will be warmer as in walking sandals & bare toes?

I know the Med is still hotter than hades in Sept. So I need to make sure I have a couple warmer/nice weather options

They're awesome! Although most of them are flip flops, they have very dressy ones and most importantly, they have a GREAT arch support in them. My favorite ones are no longer for sale. They have 3 gold rings going down the front of the foot. Really pretty, kind-of dressy and show off a tanned foot and good pedicure well. :D

Here's the link for some of the others: http://www.qvc.com/Vionic-w-Orthaheel-Leather-Thong-Sandals---Karina.product.A263521.html?sc=A263521-User&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-2-_-A263521&catentryImage=http://images.qvc.com/is/image/a/21/a263521.001?$uslarge$ (I have 2 pair of these ones.)

I also am a fan of Orthaheel.... three of the four pairs of shoes I brought are Orthaheel. I've only worn my Orthaheel sneakers off the ship, but in "real life," I've worn my Orthaheel sandals and walked for miles at the mall, grocery shopping, etc., with zero foot pain. Pricey but worth it!

I brought four pairs of shoes with me--Orthaheel sandals, Asics sneakers, Orthaheel flip flops and Orthaheel sneakers, and I've worn all four pairs. I could have used another pair of shoes to go with some of my other clothes, but I just make myself wear the sneakers.

Thanks Hydrokitty! I'm kinda going in circles right now. A bit of denial going on. So you think Budapest will be warmer as in walking sandals & bare toes?

I know the Med is still hotter than hades in Sept. So I need to make sure I have a couple warmer/nice weather options

Late Sept. will be nicer in Budapest....actually potential to be gorgeous!!! That's when we were there....Amsterdam is iffy...it could be perfect or it could be rainy and damp. Walking sandals for Budapest.....OK for Amsterdam...I'd count on shoes. :D

I also am a fan of Orthaheel.... three of the four pairs of shoes I brought are Orthaheel. I've only worn my Orthaheel sneakers off the ship, but in "real life," I've worn my Orthaheel sandals and walked for miles at the mall, grocery shopping, etc., with zero foot pain. Pricey but worth it!

I brought four pairs of shoes with me--Orthaheel sandals, Asics sneakers, Orthaheel flip flops and Orthaheel sneakers, and I've worn all four pairs. I could have used another pair of shoes to go with some of my other clothes, but I just make myself wear the sneakers.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll give their sneakers a try next!

One comfortable walking sandal. One dress sandal (black) one pair of athletic shoes and one pair flip flops.

Exactly what I brought.

I wore the black flats on the plane and to the two dressier dinners. The flip flops (merrell sandals) I wore to dinner and out and about on the ship.

I alternated between the walking sandals and athletic shoes based on the weather and excursion.

I didn't feel I needed any more or less.

We are leaving in a few weeks for our 4th River Cruise. I will add my opinion on shoes. Last cruise I took my Teva sandals, black schechers and Merrill black clog shoes for walking. Wore only sandals and schehers. Walking shoes are the most important thing to pack.. I recently bought a pair of Merrill black sneakers and they are going on this trip with Teva and schechers..dressy black sandals and maybe white dressy sandals very small and weigh nothing.. I am a shoe person but always try to coordinate my shoes with what I am :(wearing. Honestly no one notices what you are wearing. Bottom line go for the comfort..

I also like to "look nice" at dinner, but for me that never means heels. Maybe a wedge ;)

I'm actually better at cool weather packing for shoes than warm weather, but I can do 4 pairs. 2 in cool weather, but apparently I like more options in warm weather:p

(PS I always find these packing or clothing threads fairly sexist - most of the time, I am a lighter packer than my husband ;-) I think we both brought 3 pairs shoes on our Christmas market river cruise, though :-)

Edited by Hoyaheel

(PS I always find these packing or clothing threads fairly sexist - most of the time, I am a lighter packer than my husband ;-) I think we both brought 3 pairs shoes on our Christmas market river cruise, though :-)

My husband brings far more than I do on any trip. I am all about mix and match and keeping it light. It is he who needs a lot of options.

I agree that it is easier to pack for winter and fall sailings. I wear my boots on the plane, pack one extra pair of walking shoes, some flip flops for the boat and a pair of dressy ankle boots (heels) for evening.

For winter, most people are just seeing my outer layer (a coat) so I bring a couple of different bright scarves. Change the layer next to my skin, wear the same merino sweater & dark pants et voila - easy to pack & dress:p Change to a merino sweater dress for dinner (and I can wear that for touring as well, if it's not too cold)

I've been working with my husband the past year or so on the concept of mix/match (or, "capsules" in Pinterest lingo ;-) He was skeptical at first but has been pleased with the outcome on the trips where I've really made him think about packing instead of just grabbing & rolling. So we're both on a learning journey as to what exactly we *need* vs what we might want, and then what's just unnecessary....

Edited by Hoyaheel

My husband brings far more than I do on any trip. I am all about mix and match and keeping it light. It is he who needs a lot of options.

I agree that it is easier to pack for winter and fall sailings. I wear my boots on the plane, pack one extra pair of walking shoes, some flip flops for the boat and a pair of dressy ankle boots (heels) for evening.

Nobody ever talks about this....but it's so true. Like Hoyaheel I've been working with DH on the mix/match concept....but overall, he still brings more than I do and his clothes weigh more than mine, which I understand he can't help since he doesn't make them!!

Nobody ever talks about this....but it's so true. Like Hoyaheel I've been working with DH on the mix/match concept....but overall, he still brings more than I do and his clothes weigh more than mine, which I understand he can't help since he doesn't make them!!

One year we traveled for 2 weeks in Italy carry on only and it was the easiest trip ever! It was October and we used trains for travel between cities, as well as local bus. Never a wait at the airport. We had plenty of clothes and lacked nothing. We dropped some clothes at a local laundry to be washed and folded half way through the trip. They do a great job with this many places in Europe we have found.

I remind DH of that and he acknowledges it was easy but cannot let go of the extras he always packs. I have a fashionista husband!

I am going on my first River Cruise in April.:)...I am planning to bring at

least 4 pair of shoes.....not sure the time of year matters?

Walking shoes for the daytime....at least 2 pair of shoes for the ship.

A couple of casual pairs of mules....mine are like a moccosin....but an

open back (closed toe).....and a nice pair of ballet flats for evenings.

I will probably wear one of those pairs on my flight (the mules, not the

ballet flats):)

Edited by Lois R

.not sure the time of year matters?

Guess it depends on how you construct your wardrobe & pack & preferences. As I've noted - I can pack fewer for cooler weather, and I'm sure that's due to the types of clothing I travel with in cool weather vs warm weather. I like to wear sandals - and I have some VERY comfortable walking sandals - but sweat + motion = rubbing, so I like to have an extra extra pair to trade off and keep the hot spots at bay. Whereas in the winter - one pair goretex, one pair cuter (shoe, boot, whatever) and I'm good to go:p

On the other hand, I travel more in cooler weather so I have more experience at creating the perfect packing list with "just the right" stuff;)

Yes, I am like the Princess & the Pea:D

(we booked an Asian cruise next autumn and I am already stressing/figuring out what I'l need to pack for that - nothing like advanced planning:o)

I usually take 3 or 4 pairs of shoes and it's always a challenge to pick the lucky pairs who get to go along - lol! I also have a pair of Orthoheel flip flops that I like, but my favorite brands of shoes are FitFlop and Ecco shoes. For my upcoming summer Rhine River cruise, I plan to take 2 pairs of Ecco shoes - sneaker type and Mary Jane type, although I'd like to take another pair of black leather Ecco walking shoes. Here are the Mary Jane shoes:

http://us.shop.ecco.com/sale-women-shoes/ecco-babett-clog-mary-jane-211323.html?dwvar_211323_color=01459#srule=price-low-to-high&sz=24&start=0&cgid=sale-women

I'm also taking 2 pair of FitFlop sandals. I've had plantar fasciitis on a couple of occasions over the past few years, and ever since I've discovered FitFlops, I've not had any PF flare ups. I LOVE my FitFlops! I need arch support. I prefer the ones that have back heel straps, a little more difficult to find, but have several different styles of FitFlops sandals, with and without heel straps. I also love my FitFlop Ugg type boots for winter; they're so comfortable. I always keep an eye out for sales on Ecco shoes and FitFlops. Below is a link to the FitFlop site and other sites that often have them on sale are Footsmart, 6PM, and Amazon.

http://www.fitflop.com/en/home

As for DH, he he takes as many or more pairs of shoes than I do. I've turned him on to both Ecco & FF shoes and he now has his first pair of FitFlop sandals that will go cruising with us this time.

Edited by jmbklj