On Board Purchase with Elite Member

trbarton

That's kind of how I see it. Once you own something, it's pretty much yours to do with as you please. I don't see this as abuse of the system. It's entirely possible the Elite buyer will like the thing and decide to keep it for himself. :)

I agree, but I think what gets people in a tizzy is taking money from the giftee....that makes it no longer a gift because you are passing along the benefit. Of course, I don't see much difference between that and taking it home to sell on eBay if you decide you don't like it.

So if my husband is Elite and I am not, can we not save money by him putting the jewelry or cocktail dress on his account and calling it a gift? Not to mention scoring some good husband points.....we are sharing a stateroom account, and an economic partnership on land when not cruising. It is part of the same financial empire in our relationship. What is the difference?

Huh?

Let me elaborate.

This is really a practical vs. an emotional issue.

In business every sale adds to the bottom line, assuming that you are not selling at a loss. The accounting cannot tell whether the sale came from an Elite passenger or from his buddy who is not Elite. If you allow a fellow passenger to buy something using your Elite benefit, that is an incremental sale and gain that the store would otherwise not get.

Most Elite Level passengers on the other hand, seem to care most deeply about protecting a status that they feel that they have earned.

I agree, but I think what gets people in a tizzy is taking money from the giftee....that makes it no longer a gift because you are passing along the benefit. Of course, I don't see much difference between that and taking it home to sell on eBay if you decide you don't like it.

So if my husband is Elite and I am not, can we not save money by him putting the jewelry or cocktail dress on his account and calling it a gift? Not to mention scoring some good husband points.....we are sharing a stateroom account, and an economic partnership on land when not cruising. It is part of the same financial empire in our relationship. What is the difference?

If he wants a pleasant ride home he will make it happen. :eek:

Let me elaborate.

In business every sale adds to the bottom line, assuming that you are not selling at a loss. The accounting cannot tell whether the sale came from an Elite passenger or from his buddy who is not Elite. If you allow a fellow passenger to buy something using your Elite benefit, that is an incremental sale and gain that the store would otherwise not get.

Most Elite Level passengers on the other hand, seem to care most deeply about protecting a status that they feel that they have earned.

Yes. :)

Some folks just get their knickers in a twist over small issues. An Elite cruiser purchasing something for a family member or friend, whether back home or on board, is hardly an issue at all to me. They can buy as much or little as they like. Good on them to have earned that perquisite and spend money on board.

I don't think anyone is suggesting an Elite would be openly offering to every Tom, Dick and Henrietta strolling in the Atrium to offer to purchase items for them in the shops in exchange for cash. Sort of like opening the coat and displaying a wall of watches on the inside panel. :rolleyes:

Some folks just get their knickers in a twist over small issues. An Elite cruiser purchasing something for a family member or friend, whether back home or on board, is hardly an issue at all to me. They can buy as much or little as they like. Good on them to have earned that perquisite and spend money on board.

I don't think anyone is suggesting an Elite would be openly offering to every Tom, Dick and Henrietta strolling in the Atrium to offer to purchase items for them in the shops in exchange for cash. Sort of like opening the coat and displaying a wall of watches on the inside panel. :rolleyes:

The objection isn't that the Elites are buying gifts, the problem is them getting reimbursed for making purchases for traveling companions, in effect using the 10% discount for those who didn't earn it.

The objection isn't that the Elites are buying gifts, the problem is them getting reimbursed for making purchases for traveling companions, in effect using the 10% discount for those who didn't earn it.

Traveling companions shouldn't be a problem, as I stated earlier they are in the same cabin and same onboard account. Unless you are talking about different cabins, but I wouldn't call someone a companion if we don't share a cabin ;)

Let me elaborate.

I used to work for a high-end department store and I can assure you, that is one business that did care. Had I used my generous discount to buy things on behalf of a friend or non-immediate family member (husband/wife/child only), I would have lost my job. Somehow, that business managed to survive, despite denying all those potential discount shoppers their unearned largesse. I imagine Princess will be able to keep her metaphorical retail ship afloat, too.

And why wouldn't I care about protecting a benefit (not a status) I hope to earn soon? What kind of dummy happily cheers on actions that may result in loss of perks? Protecting same is the very essence of practicality.

I used to work for a high-end department store and I can assure you, that is one business that did care. Had I used my generous discount to buy things on behalf of a friend or non-immediate family member (husband/wife/child only), I would have lost my job. Somehow, that business managed to survive, despite denying all those potential discount shoppers their unearned largesse. I imagine Princess will be able to keep her metaphorical retail ship afloat, too.

And why wouldn't I care about protecting a benefit (not a status) I hope to earn soon? What kind of dummy happily cheers on actions that may result in loss of perks? Protecting same is the very essence of practicality.

I was in retail for a few years and I learned that 2 x 90% beats 0 x 100% all day.

Of all the benefits of Elite Level, a 10% discount on merchandise is the least likely to be in danger. You will be fine.

Let me elaborate.

Your post mirrors exactly what I've been thinking while reading through these pages of posts , which excoriate many posters for purchasing an item with an elite card for a non-elite. Big deal. I can't fathom why it is of any consequence why others even care what some people choose to buy, and for whom , with their elite card.

Am I not supposed to buy my husband some sundries from the gift shop using my 10% discount now that I'm elite and he's not? If my husband says to me, please go down to the gift shop and get me some Tums and I'll pay you back, is that now considered a Princess cruises offense, since the Tums aren't for me but I want to be reimbursed for the purchase? However, if I purchased the Tums and decided not to go for reimbursement then suddenly it makes it okay that I got a 10% discount?

Will I be thrown in the brig for that infraction ? Perhaps walking the plank would be in order :eek:

Edited by 4cats4me

There was a poster who wanted to purchase a surprise gift,

and didn't want the spouse seeing it on the onboard statement.

That may have been me, and I hope it is correct that I can use a card in Facets.

All this over a 10% discount? The prices are jacked up >100% as it is. Princess might make more money NOT requiring Elite status for the perk.

My sentiments exactly! :rolleyes: Even if you're purchasing something for hundreds of dollars, it's only 10%. Big deal. :p (That being said, I of course use if for my refrigerator magnets and t-shirts! :eek: )

I was in retail for a few years and I learned that 2 x 90% beats 0 x 100% all day.

Of all the benefits of Elite Level, a 10% discount on merchandise is the least likely to be in danger. You will be fine.

Yep..... if anything were to disappear it would be the free laundry. Actually I see Princess capping it before taking it away, like they did with the free internet.

What kind of dummy happily cheers on actions that may result in loss of perks? Protecting same is the very essence of practicality.

Um ... the same kind who brags about laminating their

coffee card so they can use it for brewed coffee forever?

And, look how that turned out...

Yep..... if anything were to disappear it would be the free laundry. Actually I see Princess capping it before taking it away, like they did with the free internet.

Why does everyone think the 10% discount is going away because one person asked about "borrowing" it? I don't think it's time to panic yet. :)

Apples and oranges. You were an employee, not a customer. If a customer came in with a 10% off coupon, and bought a slew of stuff, do you think the store you worked at would have given a rat's behind if some of the items weren't for the person with the coupon? My guess is no.

I also doubt that the store you worked at would discontinue coupons because of it....there's a better chance of Jimmy Hoffa walking through my front door.