How early do you start packing?

My mom insisted on packing a full week before we leave. Some things like both dresses, my black shoes and slacks, jeans, and sweatshirts can be packed early so I have no problem with that, but 10 t-shirts, a nightgown, and sandals can't.

Does anything really need to be packed early or is doing that just to have less stress at the end? I personally don't see any reason to panic over suitcases before I start using my new tablet, camera, and cell phone, but she thinks what can be done early must be done much earlier than I believe is necessary.

So when do you start thinking about packing for a cruise and actually do it? Are you the kind of person who wants everything except the bare necessities in two suitcases before they need to be packed? Or are you comfortable packing every item on your list the last two days?

I usually start putting things aside about a week before, but I don't actually put everything in the suitcase and close it up until the night before. I like to give myself a week to get everything together to make sure I don't forget things, and also to edit my clothing choices so I'm not overpacking.

We start laying things out n advance.

How far in advance may depend on how long the cruise is.

It lets us confirm that we have everything we need, in case we might need to but a few things, usually a few undies, new swim wear, a par of chinos or similar for me a few tops for her.

It just lets us think about it, but then we pack all at once, usually the last night before we leave home.

I have a list and when we return from one cruise, some of the stuff goes into the hand luggage ready for the next cruise (no matter how far in advance) It may be nly simple things like plug adaptor, safety pins, sharpie etc. The clothes list is checked for anything that wasn't worn and a new list started ready for the next time.

Sandy in Spain

I have a very detailed packing list that I use and it is continually tweaked. I start packing about 4 weeks out - I take a guest bedroom and pull out my rolling rack for hanging items. Many items we take are kept in a storage box so they are easy to find - like the over door storage hanger, pop up hamper, 40 lb wall hooks, etc. We have our first cold weather cruise coming in May of '16 -- before I worry about packing - I have to purchase. :D

Edited by Jane2357

I'm another one who has a detailed packing list. I start 3 or 4 months out checking the list and tweaking it for the upcoming cruise. I'll start putting some things in the "cruise closet" (hall closet by the front door) a couple of months out.

I make a list of toiletries, OTC meds and stuff like that and will start buying them a few at a time a couple of months out.

A month or so out we'll try on the things we don't wear very often to make sure they fit. There may or may not have to be a shopping trip attached to that chore. :rolleyes:

A week before I'll do some laundry - again for the things we don't often wear (we're retired so the nice slacks and shirts / blouses don't get worn a lot).

Actually pack the day before we leave.

I start thinking about packing the moment I book our cruise; what do I have from last cruise, what still fits, what didn't work, etc. About a month before we leave I take over a spare room and start laying out clothes, shoes, etc. to see what will work with the different pieces. The week before departure, I bring out the luggage (from that point on, I have to keep the door closed if I'm not in the room because our cat likes to hide in them) and start putting in things like underwear, sleepwear, dress shoes, toiletries, accessories, etc. Everything goes in zip-lock bags which makes it easy for a TSA inspection - they can see what's there without having to paw through clothes, undies, etc. .

Once I've got everything packed, I make a master list of each suitcase; that way if DH is looking for his green golf shirt, he checks the list and can see it's in suitcase #2. Some people hate packing; I hate doing bathrooms, not packing. LOL

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I have a basic packing list for cruises. Then, as soon as I book a cruise I start adding to the list to make it specific to that cruise. I tweak the list adding-subtracting, as days/weeks/months pass.

I do not start the actual packing until about 3 days before the cruise.

Last minute items such as some toiletries and some clothing are not packed until the night before, or the morning we leave for the airport.

My brain will start thinking about possible things to take maybe a month before. Nothing structured - I'm not obsessive/compulsive that way ;) I'll be looking at a magazine or out shopping for something else and I'll see something that makes me think "that would be nice for my trip" or "I need to bring xx out of the closet." I have a shallow "pantry" in my bedroom where all my travel hardware hangs out - guide books, packing cubes, travel clock, travel wine glasses, travel vase, binoculars, adapters, etc. I'll do a quick look through there maybe a week before to see if there is something missing for the trip that I'll need to buy. Outside of that, I'm doing good if I start packing 48 hours before departure. Usually, it's about 2 hours before I go to sleep the night before I leave :D

I start thinking about packing the moment I book our cruise; what do I have from last cruise, what still fits, what didn't work, etc. About a month before we leave I take over a spare room and start laying out clothes, shoes, etc. to see what will work with the different pieces. The week before departure, I bring out the luggage (from that point on, I have to keep the door closed if I'm not in the room because our cat likes to hide in them) and start putting in things like underwear, sleepwear, dress shoes, toiletries, accessories, etc. Everything goes in zip-lock bags which makes it easy for a TSA inspection - they can see what's there without having to paw through clothes, undies, etc.

Once I've got everything packed, I make a master list of each suitcase; that way if DH is looking for his green golf shirt, he checks the list and can see it's in suitcase #2. Some people hate packing; I hate doing bathrooms, not packing. LOL

Smooth sailing!

LOL! My cat sleeps on clothes soon after I lay them out to pack. Then after I open my suitcase she sits on the inside of the lid. I often like to say the first thing in it is a fur coat because of that silly girl.

I wrote my packing list too many times already. Now I have to edit the list again. Maybe it is one of those things that should only be created on a computer since it has changed so many times.

If it is an early AM flight, I pack the night before. If it is a noon flight I pack the morning of. DW starts about 2-3 days earlier and finishes the night before. We only pack casual and we limit what we take so this makes packing very straightforward for us.

Edited by iancal

Just an observation. Those of you who obsess with a packing list and start packing a week (or more) must be married, and predominantly female; I don't think a single male would go to all that trouble. Again just an observation.

Edited by Treven

LOL! My cat sleeps on clothes soon after I lay them out to pack. Then after I open my suitcase she sits on the inside of the lid. I often like to say the first thing in it is a fur coat because of that silly girl.

I wrote my packing list too many times already. Now I have to edit the list again. Maybe it is one of those things that should only be created on a computer since it has changed so many times.

That sounds familiar. I think Koko hopes I'll think he's a furry sweater and we'll take him along.

DSCF0616_zpsa88a14d0.jpg

I pack the morning of my departure, or the night before -- I want to wait to know what the most recent weather reports are before deciding what to pack.

However, I start collecting "vacation only" type things (not clothing) in the months before I go away, and toss them in a tote bag as I think of them. These are things I don't use or even see regularly, and so they're the kind of things that might slip my mind: extra memory cards for my camera, sunscreen, portable surge protector, a flash drive, my extra sunglasses, etc. Then I can grab that tote bag when I'm packing and include all of that in my bag(s).

Treven, what makes you think they must be married? I have only known a very, very few men - OK only one - who would work with a packing list, and he was single. FWIW, I'm a single woman, but I don't think I'd use a list or start packing that early, even if I was married.

Edited by calliopecruiser

My mom insisted on packing a full week before we leave. Some things like both dresses, my black shoes and slacks, jeans, and sweatshirts can be packed early so I have no problem with that, but 10 t-shirts, a nightgown, and sandals can't.

Does anything really need to be packed early or is doing that just to have less stress at the end? I personally don't see any reason to panic over suitcases before I start using my new tablet, camera, and cell phone, but she thinks what can be done early must be done much earlier than I believe is necessary.

So when do you start thinking about packing for a cruise and actually do it? Are you the kind of person who wants everything except the bare necessities in two suitcases before they need to be packed? Or are you comfortable packing every item on your list the last two days?

Depending on our flight time, we either pack the day we leave or the night before. There is no reason to pack ahead of time, of course we travel often so it is not a big deal for us.

I pack the day of or night before. I have travelled so much that I do not need lists, etc. It is all committed to memory. One thing I will do is get certain clothing to the dry cleaners in time for packing. So far, have never forgotten a thing!

Just an observation. Those of you who obsess with a packing list and start packing a week (or more) must be married, and predominantly female; I don't think a single male would go to all that trouble. Again just an observation.

My mom is single but absolutely obsessed with getting everything done early. It does not matter what is on her to-do list: if she has a to-do list, she is unwilling to even consider doing anything last-minute. I also am single, but prefer to wait as long as possible to get things done. There may be a tendency for men to feel less obsessed with crossing off to-do items early but that certainly is not true of single women.

My suitcase comes in the house about two weeks before we leave and I'm usually 90% packed by several days before we leave. The morning we leave is just last minute things that I use that morning. My other half packs the night before. We each pack our own suitcases which really helps me!

Guest maddycat
That sounds familiar. I think Koko hopes I'll think he's a furry sweater and we'll take him along.

DSCF0616_zpsa88a14d0.jpg

He's beautiful! Is he a Maine Coon?

I also have a cruise packing list on the computer that I tweak after each cruise. I'm the packer in the family. I usually start packing 2 or 3 days before we leave.

DSCF0616_zpsa88a14d0.jpg

LOL Koko is a silly cat. (Of course they all are.) Patricia has done that too in the past. How long do you have to put off packing because of that cutie?

Of course they may also be telling us not to go anywhere.