Sunday fun! Help me choose between two Norway cruises.

SnowshoeCat

The choices are: HAL Rotterdam out of Rotterdam, or Norwegian Star out of Copenhagen.

The only difference in the itinerary is the Star goes to Flam, and the Rotterdam stops at Eidfjord. HAL also spends a lot more time in Alesund, one of the stops I'm most looking forward to. I've taken a "Norway in a Nutshell" tour, so Flam is no longer high on my list.

The big difference, of course, will be the ships. I like that the Rotterdam is smaller (unless the seas get rough). I get the idea that there will be a high percentage of Dutch travelers on HAL (imagine that ;)) and NCL would be more diverse, maybe? I'm not sure.

I'll be traveling solo, and NCL comes out a little less expensive, and surprisingly, the airfare to Copenhagen is lower, too.

Thanks for your input!

Tough call. But when we did the Prinsendam to Alesund we also had a very long day (from about 7 until 9pm). We took advantage of this extended day and rented a car that we drove all the way down to Geirainger Fjord (where we took the ferry) and then came back by the picturesque route where you climb the mountain that overlooks the town of Geirainger. We have been in Norway several times and explored many parts...but this day (out of Alesund) was our most memorable. And we would be remiss if we did not mention that is was a very inexpensive day when compared to the hundreds of dollars charged for tours that do a fraction of what we did. Our rental car cost us less then $100 (for the entire day). We also had to pay for 2 ferries and gas but the total day did not cost us more then $250 (total cost for a couple although we could have taken another couple and cut the cost per person in half). For that money we had a beautiful drive, the long ferry ride from one end of the Geiranger Fjord to the other, and lots of great memories that we did not have to share with a busload.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I don't think there will be much trouble with rough seas, as you'll be mainly in the fjords.

We would choose the Rotterdam, for the simple reason that it has a covered pool...we dislike cold cruises where much of the action is near an outside pool.

I have only visited the Rotterdam for a day, but we all agreed what a charming ship she was, and very similar to Princess and P&O ships in the general ambience.

Do they have the same route? Include North Cape?

A significant difference with HAL, is usually they have very educated lecturer's and ship naturalists on board, and offer programs. NCL does not. I've sailed both lines, but only NCL in Norway.

No, no North Cape. Just your typical 7 nighter: Alesund, Geiranger, Bergen and either Flam (NCL) or Eidfjord (HAL).

I'm leaning towards HAL. I just like the "feeling" I'm getting from what I've read. I like the idea of lecturers.

BQ: Hi neighbor!

No, no North Cape. Just your typical 7 nighter: Alesund, Geiranger, Bergen and either Flam (NCL) or Eidfjord (HAL).

I'm leaning towards HAL. I just like the "feeling" I'm getting from what I've read. I like the idea of lecturers.

BQ: Hi neighbor!

We have had some great lecturers on a few of our HAL cruises :). But they were all longer cruises where HAL used to go overboard (pun intended) to obtain world class lecture folks. But HAL has also cut-back their lecture programs on many of their shorter cruises. Whether or not you get a decent lecturer on a 7 day cruise in questionable. Also keep in mind that lectures are usually a normal part of sea days, but on a short cruise there are not many of those.

Hank

We have had some great lecturers on a few of our HAL cruises :). But they were all longer cruises where HAL used to go overboard (pun intended) to obtain world class lecture folks. But HAL has also cut-back their lecture programs on many of their shorter cruises. Whether or not you get a decent lecturer on a 7 day cruise in questionable. Also keep in mind that lectures are usually a normal part of sea days, but on a short cruise there are not many of those.

Hank

Thanks Hank. I realize that. There are only two sea days, which is more than enough for me. If I'm going on a Norway cruise, it's to visit Norway! I'm also considering Hurtigruten so I can see more ports.