When is RCCL going to do something about those slipper pool decks?

Let's see...they obviously know it is a problem as they consistently put up warning cones and are constantly having crew members mopping. I can tell you when they will address the surface...as soon as someone suffers a serious injury from the fall and sues the h-e-double hockey sticks out of RCI for negligence.

I would imagine it will be an easy case to win or get an attractive out-of-court settlement.

When they did the Navigator refurb, the tile outside the Windjammer (in the high humidity zone where there is always condensation) was replaced with a rough tile, and the new outside deck surface seemed to also be a non-slip product. Perhaps as the ships go to dry-dock they are receiving the same improvements.

When they did the Navigator refurb, the tile outside the Windjammer (in the high humidity zone where there is always condensation) was replaced with a rough tile, and the new outside deck surface seemed to also be a non-slip product. Perhaps as the ships go to dry-dock they are receiving the same improvements.

Unfortunately, as ships go through revitalization though the natural teak decks are being removed (possibly reclaimed and resold - teak is very expensive) and being replaced with the synthetic teak (plastic) decking that becomes like an ice rink when wet and also unbearably hot to walk on. I don't know why they have made this change. I don't think traditional non-skid coatings adhere well to this type of flooring and the industry hasn't evolved on the relatively new product enough to put it into the formulation.

So yes, in some areas they receive a more coarse tile or coating to reduce slippage and it helps in those areas, but the pool decks are bad; worse than before.

We noticed this when we were on Freedom. I almost fell twice and DS fell once. We too to avoiding the area unless we were actually coming or going from the pool. My memory might be failing, but both DH & I felt that this issue was worse on Freedom that it had been on any other cruise we had sailed (Princess and Disney).

Simply having signs isn't enough. You can be extremely careful and still get hurt.

Yes when I see cones and signs that say slippery when wet I usually avoid that area.......:rolleyes:

Kinda hard to avoid...it's the middle of the day and the pools are open! My point, is that they know it's a probem, so FIX IT!!

To be honest...I actually hope that someone sues the "double hockey sticks" out of them (but at the same time hope that it wasn't too serious of an accident)! It's true that is the only way it's going to be fixed, and with the numerous comments coming up on this thread of others experiencing the same thing, it's bound to happen. Or maybe it has...who knows? It just isn't acceptable to know there is a consitent issue in a highly utilized area and think it's ok to just put up a cone.

I wear shoes, walk with caution and still feel like my feet are going to fly out from underneath me in that area. Now, think about the hundreds of kids that aren't so aware of these things.

I used to think that my Crocs deck shoes were the answer to everything. That is, until while walking on the pool deck I accidentally stepped out of one of the shoes...I SLID right into some pool chairs. Thankfully, I wasn't injured but totally embarrassed :o

I've learned to pick up my feet and walk gingerly across wet floors. Not certain of what RC can do aside from the "wet floor" cones, and employees constantly mopping behind everyone.

To be honest...I actually hope that someone sues the "double hockey sticks" out of them (but at the same time hope that it wasn't too serious of an accident)! It's true that is the only way it's going to be fixed, and with the numerous comments coming up on this thread of others experiencing the same thing, it's bound to happen. Or maybe it has...who knows? It just isn't acceptable to know there is a consitent issue in a highly utilized area and think it's ok to just put up a cone.

I wear shoes, walk with caution and still feel like my feet are going to fly out from underneath me in that area. Now, think about the hundreds of kids that aren't so aware of these things.

IMO, they need to bring back the teal-colored turf. I think that was the best, and safest. Confused on why they got rid of it in the first place...except that maybe it was more difficult to clean?

I slip on occasion, but I think it is more the soul of my shoes than the deck surface. If I wear other shoes it is fine.

Slipping is like hydroplaning. Deeper groves help. Flat smooth soul is very bad.

Let's see...they obviously know it is a problem as they consistently put up warning cones and are constantly having crew members mopping. I can tell you when they will address the surface...as soon as someone suffers a serious injury from the fall and sues the h-e-double hockey sticks out of RCI for negligence.

I would imagine it will be an easy case to win or get an attractive out-of-court settlement.

There is nothing easy regarding a settlement on any cruiseline.

Unfortunately, as ships go through revitalization though the natural teak decks are being removed (possibly reclaimed and resold - teak is very expensive) and being replaced with the synthetic teak (plastic) decking that becomes like an ice rink when wet and also unbearably hot to walk on. I don't know why they have made this change. I don't think traditional non-skid coatings adhere well to this type of flooring and the industry hasn't evolved on the relatively new product enough to put it into the formulation.

So yes, in some areas they receive a more coarse tile or coating to reduce slippage and it helps in those areas, but the pool decks are bad; worse than before.

Yes they have been doing this since at least 2009. At this point I'd be surprised if any ship has any more than sparse real teak decking. Bolidt (the material they use for pool decks and outdoor promenades now) is much cheaper than real wood and extremely easy to clean and maintain, those would be two really good reasons they made the decision to switch.

Edited by compuryan

I agree the surface is very slippery. I too have had a couple of close calls walking near the main pool with rubber flip-flops on. I find it better to just take them off and walk barefoot - which sorta freaks me out.....

(My OCD I guess) :)

Me too! Always when wearing rubber flip flops, I can hardly stand up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes they have been doing this since at least 2009. At this point I'd be surprised if any ship has any more than sparse real teak decking. Bolidt (the material they use for pool decks and outdoor promenades now) is much cheaper than real wood and extremely easy to clean and maintain, those would be two really good reasons they made the decision to switch.

But the main reason would be SOLAS regulations that say no more Wood for fire safety reasons.

Unless RC puts a truly rough surface on the pool area IT WILL BE SLIPPERY, just like many pools at home or in hotels. If they put a truly rough surface, around the pool, many would complain about it hurting their feet.

I expect any wet area to be slippery, but when the Windjammer has a slippery floor, and I have slipped there, that is sugnificat.

I grew up with a pool - we have always had one in our current home (27 years). My brother used to work for a pool installation company. NON-SLIP pool decks are the NORM in the industry. They also have COOL DECKS - which is what we have now. It is non-slip and cool. They are NOT rough enough to hurt our tender tootsies!

We have also traveled extensively and most hotel pools have non-slip pool decks.

We were on another cruise line a few years ago and were delighted to find a non-slip surface around their pools.

Clearly, there are solutions to this issue that RCCL should explore.

Edited by Dinkachu

Funny - same thing happened to me on Enchantment, only in 1999. Back then it was the slippery rubber-ish material, and on embarkation day, while leaving port, I slipped and totally wiped out, was so embarrased, and broke my big toe. Worst pain ever!

I read lots of people complain about it, but I actually like the aqua colored turf they used to have around the pools. Much safer, and doesn't burn your feet.

I so agree with you about the old colored turf they used to use! I don't have big issues with it being slippery but I do have issues with how hot the deck can get which can burn your feet or any other bare skin that might touch the deck.

There is nothing easy regarding a settlement on any cruiseline.

Agree. There is nothing easy about winning this as a law suit. And you will never get an out of court settlement. At most, if play your cards right, you might get a free drink at the pool bar (but i doubt it).

I grew up with a pool - we have always had one in our current home (27 years). My brother used to work for a pool installation company. NON-SLIP pool decks are the NORM in the industry. They also have COOL DECKS - which is what we have now. It is non-slip and cool. They are NOT rough enough to hurt our tender tootsies!

Are you talking about Kool Deck by Mortex? The concrete topping?

I really doubt that a cruise ship is going to pour concrete on their entire pool deck....

I posted something similar a couple weeks back and was surprised that no one responded. However, there seems to be one CC memeber is posting on old threads where people have mentioned about their experience on the "slipperyness" and was looking for info on their experience. So I know I'm not the only crazy one :p

I personally think this is a HUGE liability for RCCL and someone is going to get seriously hurt...if not already!

Both myself and my two kids have either actually slipped or almost slipped on the pool deck by the H2O zone becuase it is just way too slippery and I've witnessed countless others.

Yes, there are cones saying it's slippery and crew trying to sweep away the water, but the fact remains it is like walking on ice. No kidding..it really is!!

RCCL...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do something about this!

Anyone else have an experience to share???

that thread reviver was a lawyer....her email address tied her to a law firm in florida and I believe has been banned from CC.

but yes, they are VERY slippery. I ate it a couple times getting out of the hot tub last month. nothing serious happened other than me looking like a crazy person flailing arms to try stopping myself from going down lol

I also slipped and fell while carrying my 18 month old daughter. Thankfully fell on my side and arm and she only got a very slight bump on her head. Glad I was able to take most of the fall.

I also slipped and fell while carrying my 18 month old daughter. Thankfully fell on my side and arm and she only got a very slight bump on her head. Glad I was able to take most of the fall.

That's so scary. I'm glad you were both ok...esp when with a little one.

Earlier this year when sailing on the Indy, I walked on to the pool deck on day 1 in FLL. It was raining on and off all day so the deck was wet. As soon as I put my first foot down on the deck on day 1, I was on my butt. It was very slippery. Luckily the only thing hurting was my pride but you're right. Their decks get quite slippery when wet.

IMHO this is the only, and I mean ONLY, area where Carnival has the edge on pool decks...that teak they use is practically slip proof! But very expensive....guess that's why their pools and decor poolside leaves a lot to be desired.

I think its more a case of wrong shoe material than anything else. All our shoes are synthetic or real rubber. I love Crocks, but when they wear a little, you can slip on anything wet including asphalt. I hve done it a couple times in parking lots. Feet are better, but it can get hot and nasty!

Edited by BecciBoo

That's so scary. I'm glad you were both ok...esp when with a little one.

Thanks for the concern. No lasting injuries. Was wearing my deck shoes and walked by the video screen and stepped into a small amount of water on the deck and down we went as the ship listed to one side. Sad part is that I was holding on to a handrail and still slipped. Their decks are way to slippery. Saw a lot of children slip and fall too. Also glad that there were no serious injuries that I witnessed either.

This is something I have written in the end of cruise surveys... It's ridiculous how slippery that deck is! I've seen MANY many people fall. I'm not going to let my three year old son even walk fast without holding my hand on this upcoming cruise lol

I posted something similar a couple weeks back and was surprised that no one responded. However, there seems to be one CC memeber is posting on old threads where people have mentioned about their experience on the "slipperyness" and was looking for info on their experience. So I know I'm not the only crazy one :p

I personally think this is a HUGE liability for RCCL and someone is going to get seriously hurt...if not already!

Both myself and my two kids have either actually slipped or almost slipped on the pool deck by the H2O zone becuase it is just way too slippery and I've witnessed countless others.

Yes, there are cones saying it's slippery and crew trying to sweep away the water, but the fact remains it is like walking on ice. No kidding..it really is!!

RCCL...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do something about this!

Anyone else have an experience to share???

Add us into the "gee we've experienced this too" group. In 2014 my wife slipped on the pool deck on Freedom. She was wearing shoes that may have contributed. But when she came down she landed full weight on her upper shoulder, just slightly below her neck, on the edge of the step, and actually dislocated her collar bone. Since it was a dislocation forward it is effectively unrepairable. She now has a lump on the front of her collarbone. But when I think about it I realize that an inch or so difference and likely she would have severed her spine or broken her neck. I consider myself remarkably lucky.

Everyone needs to be VERY careful out there.