Honolulu - The Bus or Taxi to Arizona Memorial

BlackJack2

We want to visit the Arizona Memorial. Should we take The Bus or taxi from the Aloha Tower Cruise Terminal to the Arizona Memorial? We will be in port in Honolulu on a Sunday.

Do the buses run on Sundays? If we took The Bus, which number bus and where do we pick up The Bus?

How much is a taxi from the Aloha Tower to the memorial?

Thanks!

A little search on the board will find all this info, as this topic is discussed very regularly.

The bus will be the 19, 20 or 42 routes, IIRC. A quick look at TheBus.org will reveal the schedule and any modifications for weekends. The buses do run on weekends, perhaps slightly less frequently.

A taxi is around $35 or so.

Of possible interest from the National Park Service website in case you haven't researched all of this yet:

"There are many ways to travel to the USS Arizona Memorial at World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument; on your own, via public transportation, taxi cab, rental car, or with one of the many commercial tour companies (permitted by the National Park Service) that provide this service for a fee.

How do I get tickets to visit the USS Arizona Memorial?

-Advance Online Tickets: Reserve tickets up to two (2) months in advance. You can also reserve next-day online tickets starting at 7 a.m. the day prior to your visit for a 24 hour period. These tickets are available for groups and individuals online at http://www.recreation.gov or by calling 1-877-444-6777. Reservations book up quickly (especially during the busy season), so plan ahead! Reserved tickets must be picked up one hour prior to your USS Arizona Memorial tour. Unclaimed tickets will be reissued to the general public.

-Visitor Center Walk-In Tickets: 1,300 walk-in tickets are available daily at the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center, which opens at 7:00 a.m. Tickets are free and available on a first come, first serve basis. Theses tickets are only available to visitors physically present at the time. All members of your party must be present to receive a walk-in ticket. If you would like walk-in tickets, please arrive early! If you arrive early enough to secure your own tickets, you may have a few hours to wait before your tour. The tour is 75-minutes long consisting of a 25-minute documentary film and a boat trip out to the Memorial.

Make the best use of your time at World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument by taking the narrated audio tour. Visit the Pearl Harbor Historic Sites (USS Bowfin Submarine, Pacific Aviation Museum at Pearl Harbor, and the USS Missouri Battleship). http://www.pearlharborhistoricsites.org/

Security Measures

Strict security measures prohibit purses, handbags, fanny packs, backpacks, camera bags, diaper bags, luggage and/or other items that offer concealment. Visitors may bring cameras, cell phones, and wallets, although since no bags are allowed, you are encouraged to pack lightly."

I would suggest using both means of transportation...a taxi to get to Pearl Harbor faster & The Bus returning to the ship.

Returning from Pearl Harbor my wife continued to the Ala Moana Shopping Center & I went directly to the ship. It's an easy 10 minute walk to the bus stop & along the way we discovered the church where St. Fr. Damian of Molokai was ordained.

As others have mentioned, you can get your tickets online for $1.50 reservation fee at the National Parks site.

If you are familiar with Uber, UberX operates in Honolulu and indicates a fare from Aloha Tower to Pearl Harbor for $17. We use Uber locally and know lots of people that also use it throughout the U.S.

There is a website cruiseportwiki.com/Honolulu but I can only access it when I google "transportation from Aloha Tower to Pearl Harbor." There is some good information and maps on this site, including bus numbers.

I know that there are shuttle services in the Honolulu tourist handouts that provide shuttles to Pearl Harbor and the Aloha Stadium Flea Market. I just don't have any of those numbers.

I agree that NOT taking the bus to Pearl Harbor is the best and get home in whatever fashion you decide. I, personally, am happy to see Uber in Honolulu.

Be sure to get your online tickets so that you know how to plan your day. And if you are there on a day when the Aloha Stadium Flea Market is going on you can walk to it and it is a one stop souvenir destination. Check out Alohastadiumswapmeet.net. There are some venders there that I enjoy who have prices 2-3 times less than the amount at the stores. Have fun, Cherie

Edited by cccole

We have ridden TheBus frequently on our 12 previous trips to Oahu. Two corrections #19 does not go to PH but rather to Hickam. Secondly for those over 65 carry your Meficare card, not your SS card.

I would take a cab to PH, and TheBus back.

I would take a cab to PH, and TheBus back.

That's what we did in Feb. We shared a cab with other cruise passengers to PH and took the bus back to the ship. A lot of people from the ship will be heading over to the taxis so it's easy to find someone to share a ride with. I think it cost after dividing it between 5 passengers it was $7.50 a person one way. And then we took the bus back to the ship but the bus took about twice as long to get back but was a lot cheaper. When you get on the bus tell the bus driver you need to get off at the nearest stop for the cruise port and they will let you know when they get to that stop.

Our ship arrives on a Sunday morning. Per your suggestions, we will take a taxi to the Arizona Memorial. We are going to buy advance tickets and we need to be at the memorial an hour in advance to pick up the tickets. Are 10 AM advance tickets, (arriving at 9 AM), a safe bet to buy? Or should we aim for a later arrival time? Are there plenty of taxis at the pier?

Our ship arrives on a Sunday morning. Per your suggestions, we will take a taxi to the Arizona Memorial. We are going to buy advance tickets and we need to be at the memorial an hour in advance to pick up the tickets. Are 10 AM advance tickets, (arriving at 9 AM), a safe bet to buy? Or should we aim for a later arrival time? Are there plenty of taxis at the pier?

We had advance tickets for 9:00am and made it at 8:00am. We got off the ship at around 7:20am and got a taxi and was at the ticket office at 8:00am. This was during a weekday. I got up to the window and said "We just made it in time" and the Park Ranger said it me "They just put to get there a hour early to make sure people get here for their scheduled time". Then he said do you want to go in earlier and gave us 2 tickets for 8:15am instead of 9:00am.

If I were you I would still get the tickets an hour early and walk around the grounds. There is a lot to see at PH.

Edited by tpwolfe

Reason to get advanced tickets - while in Hawaii last summer, we decided to get up one morning and go to Pearl Harbor (think it was a weekday morning). Got there about 8am, and got tickets for the 1:15pm tour!

We went to Haleiwa for breakfast, took a brief run to the North Shore, and stopped by at Dole Plantation, then went back to PH area to look at some of the displays before our tour time.

So yes, always get advanced tickets!