NCL Dawn on the HAL Forum......

sail7seas

Oh my......... these two very kind posts put a few tears in my eyes.

Without doubt, I had my moments aboard on my own when missing DH was so heavy but I had my private methods of coping. :) I am happy I went to Dawn and think it probably has provided me with the bridge to get back to sea. :)

Your posts mean a great deal to me. :) Thank you.

THANK YOU Sail. Your thoughtfulness and kindness has meant so much to me.

Edited by qsuzi

For your next (?) Dawn cruise S7S...

I don't think you missed much by not getting to Teppanyaki. We had the unlimited dining package this year and tried this venue for the first time. I have only eaten in a similar restaurant once before, at a land resort, the month before, but I was not really pleased with the quality of food here on Dawn. Salad was nicely presented, but for the mains, the rice was prepared first, with not a lot of flavor. That bowl sat pretty far away from you, and at least for me, I wanted to save it to eat with my main and it was cold by the time I did. I ordered the chicken and steak main course and the steak was really tough. Fruit dessert very pretty, but the same fruits you could get at Cagney's. An interesting experience though. At the beginning of the meal the photographers take a picture of you with the chef and then present you with this photo and chopsticks for possible purchase at dessert time. I didn't really like that.

Did you end up finding the crepe station near the soft ice cream at night?

We tried LaCucina for the first time too due to the dining package. We live near Boston and probably nothing was going to live up to the great Italian food we have here. Wouldn't try it again. I had the pork marsala and it was NOTHING like what I envisioned. Not tenderloins, but thin slices. The best part of the meal was the tiramisu.

I think you might have enjoyed some of the shows, especially Jocka and Maria (better than the aerialists last year) and Elements. It was a wow. This summer Gatsby's had a pianist other than Ariel Jacobs. Ariel was better IMHO.

Dear Sail, Welcome Home! Have enjoyed reading about your first cruise on NCL & give you so much credit for taking the cruise with your Friends.. I'm not sure I would be able to do a solo cruise..

Our First cruise together was on the brand name "Norwegian Caribbean Cruise Line" in the early 80's. which now is known as NCL...We cruised with our good Friends, one of which is Norwegian.. Since then we've been on several more NCL cruises & have always had a wonderful cruise..

I had to convince both DH & our Friends to take that cruise with me & we all still like to reminisce (sp?) about it..Understand why you enjoy Freestyle dining so much.. Agree with you that NCL's food is excellent & like it just as much as we like HAL's food.. You picked a great itinerary for your first solo cruise & have enjoyed all of your posts about it..

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with us..:)

Edited by serendipity1499

Sail, So glad you were able to enjoy your cruise with NCL. I would agree with many of the things you have mentioned in your posts. I enjoy both HAL and NCL and have always said that they both have the friendliest crews and staff at sea. I look forward to reading more about your cruise to Bermuda.

Really enjoyed your review. It gives me hope that we may try another line one day. I had to talk my husband in to cruising the first time and he loved it. It was on HAL and we've been with them ever since. We get in a rut because we know we like the product instead of trying something new and maybe being disappointed. Thanks again. [emoji3]

Sail I also thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are also part of the NEVER NCL camp, and are intrigued by your review.

Glad you enjoyed your journey, and thanks again for sharing with us.

I appreciated reading your thoughts and am thankful that your return to cruising was pleasant. I am encouraged, Sail, by your comment that makes me think you will once again be able to cross a gangway onto a HAL ship.

My signature indicates one NCL cruise which was when the company was known as Norwegian Caribbean Line. Sunward II, a 4 day Bahamas cruise out of Miami: a cruise that lives in my memory as being good and the best value for the money of any cruise I ever have taken. (I try to forget the sand fleas on their private island.) Your review is going to make me take another look at today's NCL. Noordam was docked next to Norwegian Breakaway at St. Maarten last January. The joyous "welcome back to the ship" that was put on by some of their crew on the pier for their guests contrasted with the staid return of Noordam's guests. Very enticing/interesting/something different that I might like was my opinion.

So glad to hear you had a nice cruise. I know how hard it was for you to pull the trigger without your beloved DH but it seams like he was watching down on you to make sure you enjoyed yourself :D

I have never sailed in a suite on any line but friends of mine always sail in NCL suites and rave about them; NCL gets great reviews from their suite guests,

Sail, so sorry it took me so long to join the party. Welcome Home and thanks for the reviews. I was especially interested in your thoughts about the NCL suites and benefits vs HAL's.

I am so glad you're back, smiling, and ready to consider more cruises in the future. It makes me smile to hear that.

Best

Carol

Welcome back Sail7seas,

I am glad you enjoyed your cruise on Norwegian. A few years ago people were surprised this Norwegian gal was sailing HAL just as many were interested you were sailing Norwegian. I found the two lines more similar than different. If you do the suite life on Norwegian again, I too recommend the jewel class ships (Gem, Pearl, Jewel, Jade) and it seems like you would enjoy the haven. These ships are only a little bit bigger than Dawn and their afts are open viewing at the great outdoors stern (minus a pool). They also have indoor observation forward...but nothing like the crows nest on HAL ships.

Although I have only done four HAL cruises, their anytime dining was just as good as Norwegian's freestyle dining. You are truly inspiring to many and I hope to have the honor of sailing on the same ship as you some day.

coka

Welcome home, Sail!! Don't know how I missed this thread till today---I've been wondering about your cruise. SO glad you enjoyed it!

After your first couple of posts on this thread, my thought was,

"What sweet words to hear---'More to come'!"

Now as I've read through the whole thread, my hope for you and cruising is,

MORE TO COME!!!

Welcome home, Sail. I imagine many others were also sending good thoughts into the universe as you embarked on this new journey. I now offer a heartfelt "Amen!" Your strength and strong spirit are inspirational.

I never expected such kind and beautiful messages and truly they are overwhelming me.

All I am trying to do these days is get from Monday to Tuesday. I am blessed to have some incredible friends in my 'real world' who are there for me. I now feel so lucky in the cyber world to be receiving such good thoughts. No way to adequately thank you all. You have given me a true gift whether you know it or not. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Yes, Sail, I have a question. First off, so happy to have you back sailing again. I'm a big fan of your postings!!

My DM has been widowed a little longer than you have, but she has FINALLY agreed to go with us in November on our next HAL cruise. I'm curious as to your findings with regards to Norwegian's solo passenger fares, especially sailing as a single in a full suite.

I'm happy your DM is going to cruise with you.

Cruise Lines are one-sided and stingy in their treatment of solo guests.

I had a Suite with verandah and paid 200% of the fare. I understood in advance that is usually how it is but it irks me a bit that the double occupancy theory by the cruise line is one sided. If I am paying for two people, I should receive the benefits of two people, IMO.

I don't bring wine aboard but were I one who likes to, I should be permitted two bottles.... one per person (seeing I am paying for two people.)

When OBC is pp, the solo cruiser should receive double OBC same as two people in my cabin would have.

There are other examples of cruise line choosing to say the cabin has to be double occupancy but they do not provide the amenities for the double.

Edited by sail7seas

I'd be okay with that.

If they want to say double then it is double for both sides. The OBC for the second person would almost always cover the HSC and more depending upon number of days for the cruise and, of course, amount of the OBC.

I don't like when something is unilaterally in favor of one side or the other when there is not equality in this sort of circumstance.

Charge double - provide double.

Edited by sail7seas