Bring back classical music groups and acapella singers

Ragrandma

On the whole I love Celebrity Cruises and very much look forward to my nextcruise even as I am on board enjoying my current one. However, I do have one medium sized annoyance with their corporate policy and that is the elimination of the classical music and acapella groups. I'm sure there were enough people on every cruise who sought this music out in the past to make it worth Celebrity's expense to include them. Celebrity used to cater to all muscial tastes. Relaxing on a cruise is just as important to many as dancing and enjoying more raucous sounds. Don't you agree? Is there a way to persuade Celebrity to reinstate them?

On the whole I love Celebrity Cruises and very much look forward to my nextcruise even as I am on board enjoying my current one. However, I do have one medium sized annoyance with their corporate policy and that is the elimination of the classical music and acapella groups. I'm sure there were enough people on every cruise who sought this music out in the past to make it worth Celebrity's expense to include them. Celebrity used to cater to all muscial tastes. Relaxing on a cruise is just as important to many as dancing and enjoying more raucous sounds. Don't you agree? Is there a way to persuade Celebrity to reinstate them?

I agree....

Not sure if you did a search about this topic but there were many posts

about it when I happened and there were just as many people who

felt the opposite way......they were so glad both types of musicians

were taken off the ships as you are missing them.

So, not sure how you would get HQ to change their enterntainment

choices. Call, write, text,? I think they decided a long time ago they

were moving in a different direction.....and a small % of folks who

miss them won't make much of a difference. And I loved the Acapella

groups.

I completely agree. Our last Celebrity cruise was Dec 2013 a 27 day Adriatic/ TA in which there was no string group. One of our most enjoyable things to do was to follow the string group as they performed in different venues, enjoying a coffee or a drink while we listened. ( In addition the speakers on that cruise were just awful - X seems to have dropped the Smithsonian speakers program). Since they have dropped the two things that for us made the cruises special we have looked elsewhere to spend our vacation money. If we feel like getting on the ocean we have been going on RCI out of Port Canaveral since it is close to our home and frankly the Royal experience is not that much different to us from X if X is no longer providing several of the activities we enjoyed. Thanks Celebrity for pushing us to river cruising and guided tours.:)

Hi Don,

Sad to think it's only us. Hope others agree as well. Maybe corporate will reconsider if enough people request

It's not just you. We really enjoyed the more "easy listening" music, including the a Capella singers, strings and classical. I swear, if I have to listen to varying versions of "Feelin' Hot, Hot, Hot" all day, I may jump overboard!

Hey Orlando cruiser we met on the Viking Idi last year and we were both great fans of Celebrity, I agree with you entirely, Celebrity has lost their classy activities. We are going on another Viking river cruise in 2 weeks ( Neptune and Delling) in France. Any chance you will be there ?

I'll chip in my vote for a return of the strings and acapella groups! On our first Celebrity cruise the strings group played during dinner in the MDR. This made the experience feel very upscale. I was surprised to learn that this wasn't done on most cruises. I also enjoyed the strings and acapella live performances in the Grand Foyer while sipping my coffee or other beverage. The band by the pool and pianist in the Ensemble Lounge work great too. I think Celebrity made a mistake by having strings and acapella be main performance acts in the theater when passengers were expecting stage shows. However, IMO they do fit in with the Celebrity culture and enhance the ambiance of the cruise experience.

Edited by kathynorth

We really miss the strings. In the past, when they were on board, we would always search the dailies to see where the strings were playing.

And while there may not be a lot of people gathered around them to listen, often we would be in a close area or above or below a floor to listen to them. We do wish they would bring them back.

You are all candidates for a move up to Oceania - string quartet moves through the ship daily, including during afternoon tea. Of course, the fancy coffee drinks one poster enjoys are available at no extra charge.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I think many cruisers not just one or two would be necessary. I certainly mention it to appropriate staff while on board and in my comments section of all evaluations. Phoning FL? Emails? Who knows? Might be effective if enough people do that.

They maintain that they try to please all music tastes. Well they are not pleasing ALL unless they have more variety.

And earlier this year on the Reflection we had a wonderful jazz trio that we followed around every night.

In addition, the show band selected 5 great jazz players to play each night in the atrium.

A classical group would have been a real treat as well..

Other than than, it's difficult to relate to what they now call music...actually it's an oxymoron.

Musical Entertainment from my Connie Sailing in April:

1. Réka & Julien - Classical Duo
  2. Michael Whitesides - accoustical guitar
  3. Déjå Vu - Dance Band
  4. 1 Kilombo - DJ
  5. Starbridge - House Band
  6. Ballroom Dancing with Starbridge
  7. DJ DLF
  8. Glam Gala Dance Party
  9. Spanish Recital
  10. Ballroom Dancing: Rhumba
  11. Big Band with the Celebrity Orchestra
  12. Motown Interactive theme Party
  13. White Night Party
  14. South Beach Party
  15. Karaoke (if you call this entertainment LOL)

Have not been on the Summit for a few years. Sorry it's not relaxing. Neither are other ships with raucous music. The solarium music was great last winter on Equinox and not as great this summer on Silouette but still fine.

you are all whistling in the wind. Celebrity is dead focused on younger more affluent cruisers and they have decided that they no longer need to provide anything along the line of classical music or a Capella singing because their target market doesn't care about that sort of thing. Of course, they didn't actually replace those groups either, which was a lucky way of cutting expenses.

We enjoy most types of music....and at different volume levels....however Celebrity has decided what they need to play to keep their target folks coming back (whether they are right is another story). Both of my kids families refuse to take another celebrity cruise and they are dead in the target zone. I guess we raised them wrong....they actually listen to classical music. Celebrity should go to concerts, ballet and opera in NY City and look at the audience...yup...they are the very folks Celebrity would die to have on board....but Miami knows best.

I think there's little chance of Celebrity changing their mind....but for what it's worth, add me to the list of folks who would like to see the music options return.